Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new low-cost iPhone is set to launch as early as Friday, April 3, according to a new report from 9to5Mac that cites a tip from a "highly trusted reader." The site says that while it can't be certain about the launch date, "Apple could reveal and begin taking orders for the new iPhone as soon as tomorrow."

iphone8.png
The iPhone 8​

Apple is said to be planning to call the new iPhone, which is expected to be priced somewhere around $399, the "iPhone SE" just like the 2016 iPhone SE, which was also positioned as a low-cost device.

The 2020 iPhone SE is expected to come in white, black, and PRODUCT(Red) color options, and Apple will offer 64, 128, and 256GB storage capacities.

Prior rumors have suggested that the low-cost 2020 iPhone SE will be identical to the 4.7-inch iPhone 8 when it comes to design, featuring thick top and bottom bezels and a Touch ID Home button. It will have a single-lens rear camera, NFC support, and the same A13 chip that's in the iPhone 11 and 11 Pro.

Article Link: New Low-Cost 'iPhone SE' Could Launch as Soon as Tomorrow

Last edited:

motm95

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
I think this could be a pretty good seller, especially in today's tough economic times. I will probably upgrade my son's 7 Plus to this phone as a high school graduation present (even though it looks like his actual graduation ceremony ain't gonna happen, unfortunately).

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Anyone remember how fast the SE felt on launch year, because it was running the 6S chipset at a lower resolution, and in doing so felt even more fluid than the flagships?

A13 on 750P? Holy overkill batman! Though at that point, an interim resolution bump even to 900p or so would be appreciated, as the SoC is well overkill at that point and the GPU powers higher resolutions with still stellar bettery life.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I think this could be a pretty good seller, especially in today's tough economic times. I will probably upgrade my son's 7 Plus to this phone as a high school graduation present (even though it looks like his actual graduation ceremony ain't gonna happen, unfortunately).
You know the iPhone 9/SE won’t be plus sized, do you? Actually it is planned a plus version but later in the year. This phone will probably be 4,7”

fbr$

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2020
iPad mini & iPhone 4.7" have huge bezels/display ratio, they look ugly.

I have an iPhone 8 Plus, its bezels are not so big when compared to its 5.5" display.

Reactions: greenbreadmmm

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
No mention of the Plus at all, I’m pretty surprised. The iOS14 leak mentioned it + Jon Prosser confirmed it’s existence as well as it dropping at the same time as the smaller model. Kinda disappointing :confused:

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
With all that's been going on in the world lately, it would take some serious cojones to release a new phone, seeing as people are losing their jobs left, right and center....ending up in the hospital or worse. We are in the midst of the worst global catastrophe of our lifetimes, I think launching a new iPhone at this current time would be seen as poor taste.

Apple may be better served to hold off for a least a couple more months (July, perhaps?).

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Out of all the names they could have picked, they picked the One that makes the least sense

it’s gonna confuse a lot of people who have a current iPhone SE

if you’re gonna use that name then just call it the SE 2

iPhone 9 makes A lot more sense than “iPhone SE (2020)”

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Friday would be weird.
Who knows though.
We live in weird times. If they announced tomorrow morning, something even stranger would come along within an hour.
[automerge]1585869700[/automerge]
I wouldn’t think such a small iPhone would even be popular as now days everyone has gotten used to bigger phones, a SE screen is so small
Your definitions of “everyone” and “small” are not universal.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Out of all the names they could have picked, they picked the One that makes the least sense

I don't think there was ever a chance it was going to be called the iPhone 9. Makes it sound too old and outdated, plus the number is confusing next to the iPhone 11.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

It's no different than the iPad (2017), iPad (2018), and iPad (2019).

The old iPhone SE is no longer available for sale and it's a 4 year old product. Most consumers shouldn't be confused.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
With all that's been going on in the world lately, it would take some serious cojones to release a new phone, seeing as people are losing their jobs left, right and center....ending up in the hospital or worse. We are in the midst of the worst global catastrophe of our lifetimes, I think launching a new iPhone at this current time would be seen as poor taste.

Apple may be better served to hold off for a least a couple more months (July, perhaps?).
No one is forcing anyone to spend their money on it. There's a few people in this thread that are excited about it. No reason to delay, just don't expect it to sell very well at the moment.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

I think a cheaper option would be perfect for the current situation as people need to stay in touch during the lockdowns going on around the world. If an iPhone fails, would someone rather spend $399 on this? Or much more on the existing new iPhones (second-hand is out for many as the seller nor the buyer can get out to post or meet)?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
By the way, I wonder if it’s worth it for an iPhone 8 user. I’m pretty happy with my iPhone 8 but maybe it will have shorter battery life when I update it to iOS 13. Aside from that, I’m happy with it.
We'll have to see the details, but unless you're missing something specific, the 8 is still fine. I'm on iOS 13.4 and have not noticed a significant reduction in battery life.

The one feature that would do it for me is eSIM/dual SIM, which would allow me to get rid of my work phone and more easily use local data plans when traveling internationally (although that is now less important given the current situation).

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

The longer Apple waits, the browner the banana.

Apple has already sunk NRE costs into the device. Supplier contracts have been signed. Delaying it to July wouldn't help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.