Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Calling it the SE would be stupid IMHO but I don’t know if it would really confuse many people, I think most people should and do understand what they are spending hundreds on before they do it...

I hope they have a different name for it though. I think it’d be rubbing salt in the wound to call a phone that ruins so many of the things that made the SE so great for fans of that device, with no good replacement available.

On the other hand, if Apple gave us an actual small form-factor iPhone with a headphone jack, the squared edged design and TouchID and I wouldn’t care what Apple call this one or that one...

Regardless I think Apple will sell a lot of these new low-end iPhones, perhaps even more so with the economic shock that the covid-19 crisis is going to cause, sadly.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
For $399, this thing will outsell the iPhone XR and 11. You’re getting great specs (in terms of Apple related products) for a low price. A lot of 6s, 7 and 8 users would want this device.

For sure... And that's a great price.

Reactions: smulji

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
also, this is the first time I've heard it could have a 256GB model, and that has me so stoked. It's the only thing I was wishing (from these rumors) that it didn't have. Here's hoping prices are $399, $450 (for 128GB) and $500 for 256GB. With a trade in for my iPhone 6S+ i'll be stoked. And it eliminates my need for a second music only player :)

Chloros

Suspended
May 4, 2016
If people were waiting on a low cost phone then maybe you shouldn't be buying a new phone. Save your money until this whole thing blows over and if you are good financially....treat yourself to a higher phone from the money you saved over the months. Everyone is at home...just use your pc to browse the web.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I'll keep my 11 Pro Max. It blows this out of the fu---ng water.

This new SE is for all the people who complain about the notch.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
If people were waiting on a low cost phone then maybe you shouldn't be buying a new phone. Save your money until this whole thing blows over and if you are good financially....treat yourself to a higher phone from the money you saved over the months. Everyone is at home...just use your pc to browse the web.
I'm fine finically. But I don't want to waste money on something that I don't need or want (an iPhone 11 pro). If the lower cost phone does everything I'll want or need for 3 years for $400-$500, why would I spend more? and I sit on my computer most days anyway (because it's my job) so needing a larger screen isn't something I need with my... phone.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
We are in the midst of the worst global catastrophe of our lifetimes, I think launching a new iPhone at this current time would be seen as poor taste.
they released iPads and macs that cost a lot more than this and nobody blinked, so I’m not sure why this would be any worse.
So take iPhone 8...
  • subtract $50 ($449 to $399)
  • remove gold color option
  • add 256GB option
  • replace A11 processor with A13
Not particularly ambitious, but not bad. Here's hoping it would also get camera processing enhancements and wireless (gigabit LTE, Wi-Fi 6, ultra wideband, Express Cards with power reserve) from iPhone 11.
Biggest question is what camera. Main camera from the 11 = win. Camera from the 8 = fail.
I see no reason anyone with an iPhone 8 should buy this phone. Or even an iPhone 7 for that matter.
as an iPhone 7 owner, it depends. If it’s just an 8 with an A13, I’ll pass. If it’s got the camera from the 11 and much improved battery life then that’s 3 distinct advantages over my 7 for a good price.
I'll keep my 11 Pro Max. It blows this out of the fu---ng water.
at nearly 3x the price, it sure should

Alyssaa1213

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
Hopefully I'm wrong, but I actually think April 3rd was the original "ship date" when they were planning on announcing it the end of last month.
I definitely heard that rumor too. Who knows what they're planning. I'm hearing everything now. Jon Prosser is saying either the 14th or 15th and this is saying possible tomorrow or next week?!?
[automerge]1585875106[/automerge]

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
With all that's been going on in the world lately, it would take some serious cojones to release a new phone, seeing as people are losing their jobs left, right and center....ending up in the hospital or worse. We are in the midst of the worst global catastrophe of our lifetimes, I think launching a new iPhone at this current time would be seen as poor taste.

Apple may be better served to hold off for a least a couple more months (July, perhaps?).

There are plenty of people still working, not everyone can afford a Lexus but they release one every single year. I will probably buy this phone and pay cash just to have a 4th iPhone to play around with.

Reactions: HappyIntro

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
It should be easy to tell apart because in effect the original SE is technically a 4" model (that Apple no longer sell) while the 2020 SE would be a 4.7" model. And they can then release a Plus model for 5.5" later if they wanted.

You might have expected the Apple should then drop the price of the 11 later this year to drop into the gap where an SE Plus would fill.

My feeling though is that the 5.4" iPhone 12 Class device will end up being an OLED Pro model - maybe a 'mini'.

So our range in September becomes (with base spec $ pricing, CPU):

SE 4.7" - 449 A13
11 - 599 A13
12 - 799 A14
12 Pro Mini - 899 (though I would make it 999 but start with 256 storage) A14
12 Pro - 999 A14
12 Pro Max - 1099 A14

There's an obvious opportunity there to release an SE Plus 5.5" while retiring the iPhone 11 to 3rd party retailers in September but I can't see why they'd want to waste the investment on a phone that would have the same A13 CPU as the SE 4.7".

The pricing in the fall will more likely be:

iPhone SE (2020) $399 (64 GB) A13 LCD LTE single camera Touch ID
iPhone SE (2020) plus $499 (64 GB) A13 LCD LTE dual cameras Touch ID

iPhone 11 6.1 in $599 (64 GB) A13 LCD LTE dual cameras Face ID

iPhone 12 5.4 in $699 (64 GB) A14 OLED 5G dual cameras
iPhone 12 6.1 in $799 (64 GB) A14 OLED 5G dual cameras

iPhone 12 Pro 6.1 inch $999 (128 GB) A14 OLED 5G triple ToF cameras
iPhone 12 Pro 6.7 inch $1099 (128 GB) A14 OLED 5G Triple ToF cameras

This will provide a great price range and options with all being quite powerful. The iPhone 11 will likely continue to be a big seller.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
By the way, I wonder if it’s worth it for an iPhone 8 user. I’m pretty happy with my iPhone 8 but maybe it will have shorter battery life when I update it to iOS 13. Aside from that, I’m happy with it.

But having more RAM and a 7nm processor is appealing
I have an iPhone 8 and I’m considering this. The faster processor, better battery life, hopefully a better camera, and more future-proof features make this compelling, especially at the rumored price point.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
With all that's been going on in the world lately, it would take some serious cojones to release a new phone, seeing as people are losing their jobs left, right and center....ending up in the hospital or worse. We are in the midst of the worst global catastrophe of our lifetimes, I think launching a new iPhone at this current time would be seen as poor taste.

Apple may be better served to hold off for a least a couple more months (July, perhaps?).

or it’s a beacon of hope that tomorrow is better. I find defeatist attitudes like this to be limiting at best.

Reactions: Harthag

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I see no reason anyone with an iPhone 8 should buy this phone. Or even an iPhone 7 for that matter.

If it weren't for the 5.4" iPhone rumors I was planning on trading in my iPhone 8 in fear this was the last reasonable sized and semi-affordable iPhone. There were some great deals when the 11 came out but I just couldn't justify that size of a phone. But yeah the jump from A11 to A13 isn't huge, I think for iPhone 7 users though it could still bring at least a noticeable upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.