Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
It seems unlikely they would release new products right now, even if they're ready, due to the fact so many places are shut down because of the virus. It would be bad PR and probably lead to lower sales since people wouldn't want to buy in store (or can't because they're closed).

That being said I do want a new Macbook Pro (hoping for 14") and I'd be getting it shipped so I'm fine if they do announce them. ?

Good point.
Many people are going to work from home though, so I expect laptop sales to raise next week.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Came off my bike the other week, my trusty MacBook Air was in my bag at the time. It now looks like this:

IMG_0229.jpeg

Broke my collarbone too:

IMG_0276.jpeg

Although I've had that repaired:

IMG_0274.jpeg

Repairing the old MacBook Air didn't seem worth it...could do with a new one.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
New story just popped up saying Apple Stores are receiving extra stock of Macs in possible anticipation of stronger sales as more folks choose or are required to work from home.

Hopefully it's of "new models"...

I think we are all mostly tapped out on what's been in the stores for a while now.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It seems unlikely they would release new products right now, even if they're ready, due to the fact so many places are shut down because of the virus. It would be bad PR and probably lead to lower sales since people wouldn't want to buy in store (or can't because they're closed).

That being said I do want a new Macbook Pro (hoping for 14") and I'd be getting it shipped so I'm fine if they do announce them. ?
Good point, but: people do order these things online a lot and also what better time to get a new laptop than when your guaranteed lots of indoor time to use it....

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
New story just popped up saying Apple Stores are receiving extra stock of Macs in possible anticipation of stronger sales as more folks choose or are required to work from home.

I’m working from home with my 2016 MBP. So far so good but if the keyboard fails I can’t bring it to the AS or an authorized reseller, so my quickest option would be buying a new MBP or a new Air

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I have a friend who's fairly high up in the management for situations like this for a university. She said they're having a hard time getting enough laptops for a lot of workers who normally use desktop machines and now must telecommute.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
current MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro are still equipped with butterfly keyboards that can suffer from issues such as sticky or unresponsive keys after prolonged use
[…]
Apple finally solved this problem by reverting back to a scissor mechanism with the new Magic Keyboard on the 16-inch MacBook Pro, which has proven far more reliable.

That doesn't seem quite right to me...
The 2019 butterfly keyboard is out almost one year and has not yet shown widespread issues like that.

The new 16" MBP's scissor "Magic Keyboard" on the other hand has been out just a few months.
Also hasn't shown those issues yet, but how on earth has it "proven far more reliable"?

Reactions: mbosse

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
The new 16" MBP's scissor "Magic Keyboard" on the other hand has been out just a few months. Also hasn't shown those issues yet, but how on earth has it "proven far more reliable"?

Scissor-mechanisms were used in Apple laptops before 2016 and the standalone Magic Keyboard since launch so it has proven to be highly reliable. So adding it back to the 2020 laptops de facto makes them more reliable.

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Scissor-mechanisms were used in Apple laptops before 2016 and the Magic Keyboard for decades so it's proven technology. So adding it back to the 2020 laptops by default ensures reliability.

No, that doesn't ensure anything, unless it's exactly the same type of keyboard which it obviously isn't – in fact the new "Magic Keyboard" in the 16" MBP is nothing like the pre-2015 MacBook keyboards.
It mechanism is very similar to the external Magic Keyboard, but not quite the same.

Minor differences can have a huge impact on reliability.
We've seen that with the 2019 butterfly keyboard which, on first glance, seems identical to the 2018 version, but uses different materials.
With the 2018 version, reports of reliability issues surfaced after just a few months (and of course were way overblown).
There have been no such reports about the 2019 version, which has been out for almost a full year.

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
I’m working from home with my 2016 MBP. So far so good but if the keyboard fails I can’t bring it to the AS or an authorized reseller, so my quickest option would be buying a new MBP or a new Air

Also in the short term you could just plug in an external keyboard, or use Apple's bluetooth Magic keyboard. Those keyboards would be superior in every way to the laptop's built-in keyboard. I always plug in an external keyboard for my 2019 MBP 15" unless it's literally sitting on my lap. All that being said, yes, a new scissor switch MBP or Air would be ideal!

MrUNIMOG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
Hamburg, Germany

If it hasn't failed you in over 3 years, why would you expect it to now? It's not like it has to fail at some point..

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
They could have referred to some bit of information they used last time that wasn't public/published - if I send you an anonymous tip and say, "I'm going to say rhinoceros in any future communication", and then you get a tip now that says "rhinoceros"... it's probably the same person.
[automerge]1584129005[/automerge]
So, exactly the same, then? ;)

what about rhinoceros?...?

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I don’t really believe this rumor. I also hope it’s wrong since it would mean no Tiger Lake MacBook Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.