Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
What are you talking about?

Apple online stores have been up and running for a LOOONG time. The last time Apple released Macbook Pro's were 2015, not 1998. I have purchased all my macs since 2004 through the online store.

What are you guys smoking? This is not a spin.
I think you are totally missing the point there.

Reactions: d0nK

amegicfox

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2016
nyc
I think Apple is trying to take us to the future by taking the "courage" to remove all the outdated connections and use the updated TB3/USB-C instead. Bad news for people who do not want to change/wait will end up buying adapters/hubs, I believe it's just a temporary solution. The new Macbook Pro has only launched recently and it takes time for companies update their products. Good news that the Macbook Pro now brings 4x TB3 with up to 40Gbps and a power delivery up to 100W (Up to 15W on devices) would cut down on using the power adapters.

the new MacBook brings 3 usable ports - since the removal of magsafe the 4th port is using for charging most of the time
[doublepost=1478278225][/doublepost]
Wow, you gotta wonder if Cook is extremely unhappy with how this all transpired.
People complaining about the touch bar, saying the update isn't enough, they're upset over the 16GB limitation, especially when you can buy a windows machine and have 32 GB of ram. The chime is gone and people are upset over that, some folks are bummed over the loss of the glowing apple.

The bad news keeps on rolling in, now some TB3 devices are not compatible. There's Gen1 teething issues, and then there's just bad news. This is the latter given all the other negative press
[doublepost=1478255447][/doublepost]
Not under cook, just look at apple's hardware rollout, and see nothing will change.

Tim Cook doesn't care about anything. He is now a billionaire and he has being pursuing his polical aspirations since Jobs died. He only cares about politics and global issues.

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
MacBook Pro is blacklisting the TI chipset, hopefully Texas Instruments will take them to court over the matter.

Haha TI never said that chip should be used for thunderbolt 3, it was made for usb-c, they released a new one for thunderbolt 3 a couple months later and that was october 2015 so this plugable company is the only one to blame for using wrong chip

ConnorMcJeebus

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
What are you talking about?

Apple online stores have been up and running for a LOOONG time. The last time Apple released Macbook Pro's were 2015, not 1998. I have purchased all my macs since 2004 through the online store.

What are you guys smoking? This is not a spin.

I'm not sure if someone else has already addressed this, but by my count there are 4 generations of MBP: 1) original (2006), Unibody (2008), Retina (2012) and Touch Bar (2016). Each generation had minor spec bumps, but those spec bumps weren't new launches...they were just updates to the lineup so there wasn't even the opportunity for customers to pre-order. Think of how many more countries have gained access to an Apple Online store from 2012 to 2016. Think of how much more popular Apple has become in Asia thanks to their giant marketing push in China and other places. Now tell me that it's surprising that there are more pre-orders in 2016 than in 2012.

FrenchRoasted

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
the new MacBook brings 3 usable ports - since the removal of magsafe the 4th port is using for charging most of the time
[doublepost=1478278225][/doublepost]

Tim Cook doesn't care about anything. He is now a billionaire and he has being pursuing his polical aspirations since Jobs died. He only cares about politics and global issues.

Don't know if that is the truth, but that seems to be the perception. When you're the CEO of a huge company with millions of rabid fans, you have to be careful how all your actions are perceived. I personally don't care if he wants to march in a gay pride parade, but make sure the product line is healthy first.

Analog Kid

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2003
It seems that the newer one is somehow better with TB3, but the old one is also meant for TB3. If you search around, it's commonly used, and the official Thunderbolt site has a presentation about using it for TB3: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/sites/default/files/IDFSF15_HSTS004_100a_1.pdf
That presentation is from IDF 2015, before Alpine Ridge was even available. I've no doubt that TI intended the older part to work, and maybe they did for one port Alpine Ridge systems. The problem seems to manifest in two port systems. If the older part worked just fine, TI wouldn't have created a second, nearly identical part for TB3 systems and told TB3 customers to use that one.

My point is simply that the evidence is stacking against your flat statement that this is Apple not conforming to spec.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
I still wonder why, as a consumer, I should care how much profit the company makes off of me.

The only way I can see to interpret this is Apple is ripping off its customers, but I don't even take it that way, it's just a meaningless number to the consumer.

mrscribble

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2004
Except this requires buying a hub, which you didn't used to have to do. This takes up more space, needs another cable to connect it and adds hundreds of dollars more to an already expensive laptop. So while it can be done, it's not without drawbacks.

A hub is also only really useful at a fixed location like at your desk, and needs another power adapter. Not much help when you're out and about.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
Oh, this made my day. We should all start referring to them as DockBook Pros.

I think Apple's goal is to cancel all support for 2009 and soon 2010 and 2011 Macs so that eventually, you won't have any choice but to buy a new Mac. Because, otherwise, Apple is giving me little incentive to upgrade from a Mac Pro that is still faster than half the new Macs for sale today!

This is the dilemma with being a hardware company known for it's impeccable software.
When there's no innovation on the hardware side, what do you do? Release slightly upgraded models and discontinue more older models. This is not a great business model. This is something Steve Jobs would foresee, but apparently not Tim Cook.

Finally, I simply don't think Steve Jobs would release Macs that don't have adapters to connect to an iPhone. Tim Cook has single handedly made it more difficult to connect an iPhone to a Mac than a PC! HAHA!

Last edited:
Reactions: nt5672

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Cue the haters....
This has nothing to do with dongles, so let's stop that discussion right now.

Thunderbolt 3 combines PCI Express and DisplayPort protocols into a single signal in addition to power. Its extremely versatile. Just like not all wireless headphones are up to 4.2 BT specs, I'm sure not all T3 peripherals are created equal as well.

Apple is being Apple, and that means outrageously priced stuff with hard to swallow limitations. I think folks forget that this is really been Apple's MO for decades. Either buy their stuff or don't, but stop complaining about something you have no control over.

Cue the Kool-Aid. Apple combines stupidity with ineptness that is outrageously overpriced with no updates for other Macs at all including the "new" Mac Pro in 3+ years now with no reduction in price. So the new Macbook Pro doesn't work right with the Thunderbolt III STANDARD. Why are you shocked? Buy overpriced Apple-Taxed products only and you won't have those issues!

Cue in the Kool-Aid fanatics that tell you that you should be used to bending over by now and so why the complaining about it now? You know you want it! You know you LOVE IT. Crack open that wallet and give your last dollar to the Make Tim Cook Even Richer Fund!

tigres

Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Thought over the weekend. Ordered a 15" maxed with 1tb. Canceled today. F it. Going to a maxed 2015.
That will last me 3 years at least.

Saved 1k so far in my search to buy one anyway.

And....

Done
Picked up the last 2015 maxed out 15" from the local  store :)
setting her up as new, and going to actually spend the time to fresh install everything from scratch over the weekend.

Got a helllllllllova deal :)
No dongles needed here.

Reactions: idunn

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
And....

Done
Picked up the last 2015 maxed out 15" from the local  store :)
setting her up as new, and going to actually spend the time to fresh install everything from scratch over the weekend.

Got a helllllllllova deal :)
No dongles needed here.

Wise choice, I've been enjoying mine since the mid 2015 came out, while everyone waited and hoped the next one would be better.

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
No. Theres been a long-standing issue with USB3 and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi. Most machine use shielding to help mitigate the issue, and furthermore consumer routers come with a setting to limit USB3 speeds as well.
Ah, okay. Thanks for the info. I didn't watch the whole video, but did they try a different port? If it's a shielding problem, then a different port might reduce/eliminate the issue, no?

I'll be interested to see whether the 15'' machine shows the same behaviour.

manhattanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In ur GF's bed, Oh no he didn't!
Cue the Kool-Aid. Apple combines stupidity with ineptness that is outrageously overpriced with no updates for other Macs at all including the "new" Mac Pro in 3+ years now with no reduction in price. So the new Macbook Pro doesn't work right with the Thunderbolt III STANDARD. Why are you shocked? Buy overpriced Apple-Taxed products only and you won't have those issues!

Cue in the Kool-Aid fanatics that tell you that you should be used to bending over by now and so why the complaining about it now? You know you want it! You know you LOVE IT. Crack open that wallet and give your last dollar to the Make Tim Cook Even Richer Fund!
Then don't buy anything Apple if you think everything they produce is for "stupid" people and "outrageously overpriced". Frankly then I wonder why you are on a Mac forum then. Could it be that you are a "stupid" person that enjoys "outrageously overpriced" products and are in denial? ;)

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
That presentation is from IDF 2015, before Alpine Ridge was even available. I've no doubt that TI intended the older part to work, and maybe they did for one port Alpine Ridge systems. The problem seems to manifest in two port systems. If the older part worked just fine, TI wouldn't have created a second, nearly identical part for TB3 systems and told TB3 customers to use that one.

My point is simply that the evidence is stacking against your flat statement that this is Apple not conforming to spec.
No, it's clear that the older part works for TB3, and they just released a newer one that offers some improvement, which doesn't mean the old one isn't up to spec. And everyone except Apple has no problem with the old part.

TI's webpage on the older part is here: http://www.ti.com/product/TPS65982
It says it's used for Thunderbolt over USB-C. I'm pretty sure this implies TB3 since TB2/1 didn't go over USB-C.

Last edited:
Reactions: IG88

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Is this a case of evolving TB3 standards? A similar issue came up with USB-C since the standard hadn't been finalized in 2015 when Apple released the 12" MacBook. Some chargers that work in the 2015 model don't work for the 2016 model.
[doublepost=1478211623][/doublepost]
How about the most pre-orders of a MacBook Pro ever?

LOL the last MacBooks were available from day one. No need to preorder.

Reactions: d0nK and DevNull0

macguy59

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2006
"Apple has chosen to prevent..."

Yeah. I'm sure that's precisely the situation :rolleyes:

Since it's a macOS thing . . . . Yes Apple has chosen to prevent it
[doublepost=1478307832][/doublepost]
Then don't buy anything Apple if you think everything they produce is for "stupid" people and "outrageously overpriced". Frankly then I wonder why you are on a Mac forum then. Could it be that you are a "stupid" person that enjoys "outrageously overpriced" products and are in denial? ;)

Nope he's just another troll

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.