Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New MacBooks from Foxconn?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Commercial Times claims that Foxconn Electronics has received notebook orders from Apple and volume shipments of one new MacBook model by the of the year.

While the news is being reported by Digitimes, the source of the information is Commercial Times, a Chinese-language paper, which in turn cites Vincent Chen, an analyst at Credit Lyonnais Securities Asia.

While this report only addresses a new MacBook model, rumors continue to claim that MacBook Pro and MacBook updates are planned before the holiday season.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Not a surprise, really. I would be quite shocked if the MacBook/MBP lines were not updated before the holiday season, so I'm sure there's some truth to this report. The question, as always, is when. I'd really like to see new models before the end of October... :cool:

Comment

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Commercial Times claims that Foxconn Electronics has received notebook orders from Apple and volume shipments of one new MacBook model by the end of the year.
Small error there. ;) Sounds interesting, certainly an unpredictable update cycle, although with apple it always is.

Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I doubt very much Macbook is getting updates at the same time Pro Models do. Thats not how Apple operates. First the pro models will be updated then that tech will show up months later in Macbook with some crippling like in the Gpu.

Comment

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
So it comes from a source from a source from a source etc. et.c anyone remeber chinese whispers.

Anyway this is pretty much expected.

Comment

ctachme

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
Dont Hurt Me said:
I doubt very much Macbook is getting updates at the same time Pro Models do. Thats not how Apple operates. First the pro models will be updated then that tech will show up months later in Macbook with some crippling like in Gpu.

Exactly! That's why the iMacs didn't get the Intel procssors until 7 months after the Mac Pros, right?

Comment

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
ctachme said:
Exactly! That's why the iMacs didn't get the Intel procssors until 7 months after the Mac Pros, right?
Apple was in transition working from the bottom up to the pro models but now that the transition is complete I guess it will be back to the old way of doing things. I could be wrong and would love to see everything updated. You just never know with Apple because of the backroom deals they make with manufactors.

Comment

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
Dont Hurt Me said:
I doubt very much Macbook is getting updates at the same time Pro Models do. Thats not how Apple operates. First the pro models will be updated then that tech will show up months later in Macbook with some crippling like in the Gpu.

Actually, it wouldn't be the first time if Apple decides to update the MacBook and MacBook Pro together. They have done a full update with laptops before, though I will agree that I remember it being not too common.

Comment

razzmatazz

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Texas
ctachme said:

Well the reason for that is because Apple was waiting for the Xeon "Woodcrest" processors to put into the Mac Pro. A Core Duo in a Mac Pro...I don't think so.

Comment

jellomizer

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Upstate NY
ctachme said:
Well the iMacs did get the Core 2 Dou processors after the Mac Pro. The Mac Pros came out with Core 2 Dou first.

The PowerMacs/Mac Pros are 64 bit systems. So Apple couldn't upgrade the Mac Pros with 32 bit processors from its old 32 bit processors. Because people who have Powermacs/Mac Pros needed the 64 bit processor.

Comment

ct-scan

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
Mitch1984 said:
I bet it will be a 15" MacBook

I'm guessing that we're talking about more than just an it.
And why update the laptop that is newer???

It's more likely that they switched all of their MacBook/Pro development over to Foxconn, most likely because of all the issues around the most recent line of MBPs.

Comment

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
jellomizer said:
Well the iMacs did get the Core 2 Dou processors after the Mac Pro. The Mac Pros came out with Core 2 Dou first.
just so you know, mac pro NEVER had, let along past tense, Core 2 Duo (or Core 2 Dou)
Woodcrest (Xeon), as much as it might have the similar technology underlying its processor, is NOT Core 2 Duo.

Comment

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
bearbo said:
just so you know, mac pro NEVER had, let along past tense, Core 2 Duo (or Core 2 Dou)
Woodcrest (Xeon), as much as it might have the similar technology underlying its processor, is NOT Core 2 Duo.

i'm pretty sure that the Xeon (Woodcrest) is considered Core2Duo

Comment

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
twoodcc said:
i'm pretty sure that the Xeon (Woodcrest) is considered Core2Duo
any proof other than you are pretty sure?

quote:
Get the highest levels of power, performance, scalability and reliability for your servers and workstations with an Intel® processor.

Server processors

Intel® Itanium® 2 processor

Intel® Xeon® processor

Intel® Xeon® processor MP

Intel® Pentium® D processor

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology†

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor

Workstation processors

Intel® Xeon® processor

Intel® Core™2 Extreme processor

Intel® Core™2 Duo processor

Intel® Pentium® D processor

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading Technology

Intel® Pentium® 4 processor

noticed how Xeon and Core 2 Duo are on the same level?

also, i'm lazy so i didn't read this page, but i did a word search, and the word "duo" didn't come up, which makes me feel somewhat confident that core 2 duo is not mentioned in that page, which means, they just aren't quite related THAT much

Comment

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
ct-scan said:

On 26 June 2006, Intel released the Dual-Core Xeon codenamed Woodcrest; it was the first Intel Core microarchitecture processor to be launched on the market. It is a server and workstation version of the Intel Core 2 processor. Intel claims that it provides an 80% boost in performance, while reducing power consumption by 20% relative to the Pentium D.

sure it mentioned intel core 2, but if you click on that link, and search for xeon, see what you can find.

the both use the Intel Core microarchitecture technology, however they are branded differently

ct-scan said:
You can also find Xeon information on Intel's Core 2 Duo page...
http://www.intel.com/core2duo/index.htm?iid=HMPAGE+Feature_06ww39

Where is your proof that the Woodcrest Xeon is not built on Core?
on the left side, is the only place that Xeon was listed. There are 5 processors listed there, however on the top where the tabs are, there are only 4, there is no xeon

something they taught in SAT's (i dont know if they still have this these days)
Merom:Woodcrest = C2D:Xeon... they are at the same level, but not one under the other

Comment

ct-scan

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Chicago, IL
bearbo said:
ehh.. you know wikipedia isn't always right, right?

They are both based on the Core architecture, that was my only point.
I thought you were saying that they were completely unrelated.

Of course they are branded differently, they have different uses.
Historically Xeon is for high-end workstations and servers, people know and expect this.

Comment

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
ct-scan said:
They are both based on the Core architecture, that was my only point.
I thought you were saying that they were completely unrelated.

Of course they are branded differently, they have different uses.
Historically Xeon is for high-end workstations and servers, people know and expect this.
i definitely agree with you that they have very similar underlying technology, but i was just saying that Xeon and Core 2 Duo are two different brand names, Xeon is NOT part of Core 2 Duo

heck, macbook pro and macbook has very similar technology, but hopefully nobody will say macbook pro is part of macbook or visa versa

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.