Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Perushka said:
If you ask me, it's pretty clear Apple will update all of its laptops before the holiday season. I personally can't wait to buy a new MB, because my 600 MHz G3 iMac is getting a bit sluggish. My question is this: Will it be a simple CPU upgrade, or will Apple change pricing and/or other hardware (such as HD capacity, RAM, etc.)? Oh, and how long do I have to wait?
It's pretty clear that Apple will not be releasing to laptops before the holiday season. Laptops just aren't the typical gift. They are in the wrong price range.

Don't be surprised to see iTV sooner than later or the long waited video iPod.

Expect the new revised Mac Book Pro in January, featuring a redesigned enclosure and keyboard.

Sorry, but that the way it is.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
whatever said:
It's pretty clear that Apple will not be releasing to laptops before the holiday season. Laptops just aren't the typical gift. They are in the wrong price range.

Don't be surprised to see iTV sooner than later or the long waited video iPod.

Expect the new revised Mac Book Pro in January, featuring a redesigned enclosure and keyboard.

Sorry, but that the way it is.
true apple could sit on duo1 till MWSF if the true video ipod comes out

the zune despite it's menu lag, looks pretty cool. there is a lot more stuff going on IN the device. More on the go personalization. more time spent using it. they will attract many developers for this and enhance thir phone market and do a microsoft-bill world communications take over. battles will be waged and stock lost and many try to rise against...but, too late. Zune got a head start on the market and people were forced to like it because it was what everyone was familar with. the fabled true video ipod is the only wepon that will be able to deflect the creature that's comming, ZUNE.

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
bearbo said:
why do we (or some of us) want a entire case redesign for MBP... i mean, i can understand the logic behind easily accessible harddrive.. and if i push it, maybe the magnetic latch, but the entire case redesign? what's wrong with the current case? i think most people think the case looks nice...

only the macbook has been redesigned in the intel transition process.. but thats because ibook hasn't gotten a case redesign since ibook g3, no? and plus, it's not even THAT much of a redesign.. and aside from that, mini stayed the same, imac, mac pro all stayed the same (and imac already had a 2nd revision..) i don't see apple redesign it either

I for one hope they redesign the entire case. I dropped my 17" Power Book while it was in my computer bag and caught it by the strap as it hit the floor. I'm not sure if you can picture this, the bag was on my shoulder and slid off and I caught it just as the corner hit. I thought, thank God it was in a computer bag. Well the corner of my computer that it the ground was folded like aluminum foil. I was really surprised that I was able to reshape it back into shape with my hands.

Granted nothing was wrong with the computer, but....

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
whatever said:
I for one hope they redesign the entire case. I dropped my 17" Power Book while it was in my computer bag and caught it by the strap as it hit the floor. I'm not sure if you can picture this, the bag was on my shoulder and slid off and I caught it just as the corner hit. I thought, thank God it was in a computer bag. Well the corner of my computer that it the ground was folded like aluminum foil. I was really surprised that I was able to reshape it back into shape with my hands.

Granted nothing was wrong with the computer, but....

It is soft like tofu aye?

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
i think we may see MB w/ MBP with shuffle and xserve. i level and pro level traffic at the apple store will sell llot of laptops, especially if their curent.

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
do you think these updated macbooks will have a true video card and not an intergrated one? :confused:

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
ijimk said:
do you think these updated macbooks will have a true video card and not an intergrated one? :confused:

intergrated...

..REMEMBER..

...The Macbook is a budget machine if you want somthing better, ie having intergrated graphics, get a Macbook Pro

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
ijimk said:
I'd assume still an integrated one? no evident, just a feeling... i just don't see apple to upgrade macbook that much yet.. i mean, it was updated a lot from ibook so..

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
i dont think this means there will be any changes too the Macbook, i just hope the Macbook Pro update is soon!

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
i doubt apple with update the MB soon, there just wouldnt be enough distinguishing the MB from the MBP if they both got C2D at the same time, mostl ikely it will be like the mini, it will get a small speed bump.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
jTreu said:
i doubt apple with update the MB soon, there just wouldnt be enough distinguishing the MB from the MBP if they both got C2D at the same time, mostl ikely it will be like the mini, it will get a small speed bump.

Intel's line doesn't leave much room for a bump... unless Apple is going to use the Core and Core 2 processors as a product differential. Talk about gay considering the two kinds of chips costs pretty much the same.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
jTreu said:

I worked at a company where one product line competed against another within the company. It is the death. Apple needs to be competitive with EXTERNAL computer companies. If the competition is using C2D in their laptops... Apple had better get on the ball or they will drop it.

With Apple & the other vendors using Intel chips it is easy to look at the laptops and compare... new chip... old chip... hmmmm... which one should I buy?

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
generik said:
Intel's line doesn't leave much room for a bump... unless Apple is going to use the Core and Core 2 processors as a product differential. Talk about gay considering the two kinds of chips costs pretty much the same.
theres almost no difference in processor speed between the MB and MBP now. it would be smart for mini and Mb's to core 2 also since there the same price. but it's hotter and duo works so maybe just MBP tommorrow.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
I think the Mini and Macbook will go C2D at the same time and this will be at the same time or just shortly after the Macbook Pro. With MBP line, I would expect the slowest CPU offering to be the 2.16GHz with an option of a 2.33GHz upgrade and the 2.33 will probably be standard on the 17". The Mini and Macbook will probably get the 1.6GHz and 1.83GHz C2D chips with an option to upgrade to the 2GHz C2D. At the 2GHz mark, it's still Core 2, but has half the cache and still a notch slower than MBP offerings. MBP may also have a 2GHz offering, but it will be the 4MB L2 cache chip.

kalun

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Um...right..another rumour.

I still remember back in August, a Chinese magazine says merom Macbook/Pro will be upgraded in September. And where is it now?

And then there was another rumour that there is a shipment of laptops. And where is it now?

There were also another rumour that merom laptops will be upgraded by the end of August, and will be announce on the same day as dell/sony/... etc. And where is merom macbook/pro now?

All I am trying to say is, the accuracy of these report is very low, and if anyone is putting high hopes in it, be prepare to be disappointed....I think, however, apple will upgrade macbook pro before holiday seasons, and macbook in January.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
AppliedVisual said:
I think the Mini and Macbook will go C2D at the same time and this will be at the same time or just shortly after the Macbook Pro. With MBP line, I would expect the slowest CPU offering to be the 2.16GHz with an option of a 2.33GHz upgrade and the 2.33 will probably be standard on the 17". The Mini and Macbook will probably get the 1.6GHz and 1.83GHz C2D chips with an option to upgrade to the 2GHz C2D. At the 2GHz mark, it's still Core 2, but has half the cache and still a notch slower than MBP offerings. MBP may also have a 2GHz offering, but it will be the 4MB L2 cache chip.

Considering the Mini got bumped lately do you reckon that's very likely?

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
generik said:
Considering the Mini got bumped lately do you reckon that's very likely?

Yes.

I'm sure Apple will progress the Mini to C2D when they Macbook is updated. The Mini only received a minor speed bump the last time around and I bet it had more to do with keeping consistant pricing than it did with updating a product.

nighthawk

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
AppliedVisual said:
I'm sure Apple will progress the Mini to C2D when they Macbook is updated. The Mini only received a minor speed bump the last time around and I bet it had more to do with keeping consistant pricing than it did with updating a product.

If I remember right, the only change was the bottom end went from a Core Solo to Core Duo. And since the Core 2 Duos cost the same as Core 1 Duos, there is no financial reason for Apple to continue to use the older chips... so I agree the Mac Mini could be upgraded at any time.

However, from the roadmap I don't think that the lower end Core 2 Duos are shipping yet. I always thought it was odd that Intel would release the top-of-the-line chips first since there would be fewer production units which fit the standards (whereas running a CPU at a lower clockspeed or smaller cache would be OK).

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
bearbo said:
the both use the Intel Core microarchitecture technology, however they are branded differently

on the left side, is the only place that Xeon was listed. There are 5 processors listed there, however on the top where the tabs are, there are only 4, there is no xeon

something they taught in SAT's (i dont know if they still have this these days)
Merom:Woodcrest = C2D:Xeon... they are at the same level, but not one under the other

But weirdly, if you click the core 2 duo link on the Intel web page Xeons show up in the list (which vaguely blurs the lines). I assume that this is because some Conroes can be branded as Xeons and some as Desktop Core 2 Duos. In the end, I think we can all agree that Woodcrest Xeons, Conroes, and Meroms all share a common basic architecture (the core architecture) and that the Macpro was the first machine Apple shipped with the new architecture (with the iMac following).

Cheers.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
timmillwood said:
NO? cos that would make it a MBP

Not really, the MBP has tons of other wonderful features that makes it pro. Such as the fact that it runs OSX, has backlit keyboard, and also the 34 express card slot that 1 or 2 people use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.