Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perushka

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2004
Only CPU Upgrade, or more?

If you ask me, it's pretty clear Apple will update all of its laptops before the holiday season. I personally can't wait to buy a new MB, because my 600 MHz G3 iMac is getting a bit sluggish. My question is this: Will it be a simple CPU upgrade, or will Apple change pricing and/or other hardware (such as HD capacity, RAM, etc.)? Oh, and how long do I have to wait?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Perushka said:
If you ask me, it's pretty clear Apple will update all of its laptops before the holiday season. I personally can't wait to buy a new MB, because my 600 MHz G3 iMac is getting a bit sluggish. My question is this: Will it be a simple CPU upgrade, or will Apple change pricing and/or other hardware (such as HD capacity, RAM, etc.)? Oh, and how long do I have to wait?
we know as much about apple's next release, as about apple's 5 yrs later release

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Perushka said:

Who knows? But, as long as it's taking them to get these procs in the portable line, one would hope it will be a more substantial update.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Perushka said:

They're switching from ASUS to Foxconn so hopefully you'll get a Macbook that doesn't turn off Randomly in the middle of important work.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
7on said:
They're switching from ASUS to Foxconn so hopefully you'll get a Macbook that doesn't turn off Randomly in the middle of important work.

There's actually no proof of this other than the rumor showing up this morning. And no way to confirm this one just yet... Not sure if it means much of anything. Apple switches manufacturers from time to time and this could very well mean a new Macbook is on the way. But if Foxconn just secured the contract, it's doubtful that new MB models from them would ship this year... October is basically half over.

I would also doubt that Apple will switch MBP contracts away from Quanta. At least not until a complete and total redesign is in the works. And even then, I'm not sure if there's anyone out there more qualified or capable than Quanta to build such a system.

dbit

macrumors regular
May 2, 2006
I think it's safe to say that we're all getting tired of waiting for the next "worlds fastest personal notebook super computer" thats slower than the competition. Yeah core 2 duo is just shipping, but its shipping. I'm getting extremely pissed and I don't want to buy something that specs out slower than the next guy for a few hundred more.

This better be a super frickin case redesign.

I'm an audio and motion graphics professional and am not entirely confident on where apple has taken Logic, amongst other recent decisions. I just really pray that the pro-sumer market doesn't become their primary target.

Just another early Tuesday morning grump post.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
Dont Hurt Me said:
I doubt very much Macbook is getting updates at the same time Pro Models do. Thats not how Apple operates. First the pro models will be updated then that tech will show up months later in Macbook with some crippling like in the Gpu.

You're just saying that because you bought/are buying a Macbook Pro

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
hey i dont know about both MB and MBP being updated at the same time.

Not sure if it would make sense. there are limited Core 2 Duo's available. As Imac has sold well with it. If Apple had decided to use Core 2 Extreme in the Imac. instead of the Duo, then i would agree with all of you thinking that the MacBook would be updated now.

But to be honest, at the moment, i am not sure if it would make sense. I see apple only doing MBP immediately, they need to prove a reason for the power, more than the card slot, graphics chip and different case.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
mdntcallr said:
hey i dont know about both MB and MBP being updated at the same time.

Not sure if it would make sense. there are limited Core 2 Duo's available.

How long can the limited supply situation be true though? I mean we're talking Intel here they must have huge amounts of manufacturing capability being ramped up for these chips. Possibly even being switched away from the production of Yonahs.

I guess we'll see. It's literally anyone's guess.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Is this an extra MacBook model in addition to the other MacBooks?

If so, then maybe it is a MacBook with discrete graphics, but still 13.3". I.e., something between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. It might be replacing the current Black MacBook which isn't a great deal for what you get.

Otherwise it's a redesign to address all the current MacBook issues, and will be used across the range.

Merom may come to the original MacBook sooner, but it's pretty much guaranteed that this MacBook will utilise it.

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
emotion said:
How long can the limited supply situation be true though? I mean we're talking Intel here they must have huge amounts of manufacturing capability being ramped up for these chips. Possibly even being switched away from the production of Yonahs.

I guess we'll see. It's literally anyone's guess.

Yeah, usually a shortage today means a surplus tomorrow. And I still have yet to see or read any tangible evidence of this shortage. Intel is very forthcoming about such shortages and they have said NOTHING. Every major PC manufacturer, even Apple with their C2D iMac systems, are shipping 2.33GHz C2D chips just as fast as anything else. All the rumors of delays are complete bunk. The people squaking over Dell's web site showing 10 to 17 days to ship a C2D XPS notebook are obviously uneducated in the ways of Dell. It always takes them 7 to 24 days to ship a system.. Always. And adjusting your CPU choice on those systems makes no difference to the ship date.

In other words, there is no shortage and no reason to even consider a shortage as a reason for the delay. Other forces are at work here... Be it Apple pride, stupidity, heat problems or just a genuine deisre to totally mind-f**k their customers, Apple knows what they're doing.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Mitch1984 said:
I bet it will be a 15" MacBook

Ditto, and the 13.3" MBP will be out sometime in the first half of '07.

And I'm not being sarcastic. Apple should offer a 15" notebook for less than 2 grand.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
case redesign? i dont think so...

why do we (or some of us) want a entire case redesign for MBP... i mean, i can understand the logic behind easily accessible harddrive.. and if i push it, maybe the magnetic latch, but the entire case redesign? what's wrong with the current case? i think most people think the case looks nice...

only the macbook has been redesigned in the intel transition process.. but thats because ibook hasn't gotten a case redesign since ibook g3, no? and plus, it's not even THAT much of a redesign.. and aside from that, mini stayed the same, imac, mac pro all stayed the same (and imac already had a 2nd revision..) i don't see apple redesign it either

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
most of us are saying that the outside is great but the entire inside needs to be redisigned anyway for the hot under the paste merom and the new chip set for santarosa, duo2 is a different board too i think. my point is this, because intel promised cool chips apple discarded some thermal buffer when they madi mbp less than 1 inch, now their faced with a redesign for a processor that will be 0utdated in 3 months or the will spend thwe time to give us a place holder that wont cook our sausage.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
i predict a 10" (or similarly small size) macbook, along with core 2 bumps for the macbook pro. i predict the 10" or such b/c a friend of mine (who has big connections in the 'tech world' (he is an IT director and somehow magically knows a lot of people in the 'tech world' (like he implimented a wireless network before there was wireless networking, he got some pre-production 802.11b gear before it was standardized, he also did the same thing with a gigabit router)) anyway, he told me he has been demoing a 10" mac laptop. and i was just like 'sure whatever you say' (cause sometimes this guy can be completely full of *hit.) but he eventually convinced me that he has actually seen some 10" mac laptop demo computer somewhere. im still pretty skeptical about it, but this guy is a big mac hater, so the only reason he would try it is if it was some 10" super portable machine. b/c he does LOVE ultra portable laptops, and he is kinda getting a liking for mac, only because he can run windows on it! (though he has yet to actually purchase a mac)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Let's keep this thread on-topic, please (note: some posts have been deleted, and this post serves as a warning).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.