Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
No worries!

Ah you may like the Baseus hub that this chap reviewed

It wasn’t my cup of tea but looks good.

Yep paid via PayPal so some buyer protection and if nothing turns up / no emails within say a week or two then I’ll start emailing and chasing to get myself in a position to push for a chargeback but I don’t think it’ll come to that and suspect they’ll not have the best customer support but will ship it.

That doesn’t sound like the best battery run times. I’ve not had it long enough to really test.

So far before the keyboard the 11” battery life has been fantastic.

I’ll test it across a full days usage from a 100% charge.

I’d hope the max I’d lose from the keyboard is 10%

I’ll report back how it goes :)

Thanks!

Yeah, I’ll maybe have another look at that hub. I’d seen it before but didn’t like the fact that it still was basically a cable tied hub that happened to perch on your iPad? Ha. Interestingly, I just typed iPad there and it didn’t autocorrect to a capital P for iPad?! :D

I think I just want the simplest no fuss option for attaching things. Obviously the iPad would be ideal with more ports in general but I’m dreaming...haha. This guys solutions are a bit nuts but I like his thinking...

Yeah, I’m not liking that it’s draining that much. Going to try a full 100% charge later and see how it goes I reckon? Let me know what happens with yours?

Reactions: ct2k7

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
12.9 inch, shipping to Vermont USA, original arrival estimate Apr 24-May 1. Just shipped (yippee!!!!). Better yet, shipping via FedEX which is much better than UPS in this neck of the woods. Supposed to arrive Apr 23. Can't wait!!!

(Shipping from Carlisle, PA which probably applies to shipments throughout the Eastern seaboard, given the location of Carlisle)

Last edited:

trashmac

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
London
Yes I love that era of tech - still remember being very jealous of my dad’s Psion Revo... I picked this one up in a charity shop for £15 as I find the keyboard to be such a stylish design.

Nice to meet someone virtually here who was clearly so intimately involved with those devices!

Before I started using iPhones again I was a die hard Nokia N9 user with MeeGo OS... Perhaps you might know that too!

When the iPhone X launched it was like Apple had been thinking - we need to use all those genius UX / UI achievements in MeeGo.

While the Psion and Magic Keyboard was more a silly comparison - to me, in a way I find the completeness of the iPad Pro 11“ and this Magic Keyboard to feel vaguely reminiscent of the Psion. From a different time and different software options, but there’s some shared DNA I feel ??

I'm pretty amazed how far technology has come - we never envisaged touchscreens being as all-pervasive as they are now (even though we were trying to be as forward-thinking as possible).
I still think the Series 5 keyboard is one of the best bits of mechanical design I have ever seen.

Reactions: ahojfelixi

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I have not seen a person do this yet until this video (positioning ipad in new keyboard for pen support)

about 40% of the way thru the video.

interesting.

Reactions: SimonMScott

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
I have not seen a person do this yet until this video (positioning ipad in new keyboard for pen support)

about 40% of the way thru the video.

interesting.

Ah cool! I’d seen I think iJustine doing that in her new video but not as in depth.

Looks like a promising, if awkward, workaround? I’d be a bit worried about pressing down on the smaller hinge whilst drawing over time though maybe? Worth a shot though!

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Morning all!

@ahojfelixi - I emailed the SwitchEasy CoverBuddy people and got back this response (I note she ignored my questions of whether it was actually in stock, when it would ship or what shipping courier they use though!):

“Dear Simon,
Please don't worry that our system was fixed and the item you purchased for 2020 CoverBuddy for iPad Pro 12.9" will be arranged soon.
Please kindly wait with patience and we provide tracking information once we have updates.”

So, at least an acknowledgement! Ha.

Are they a US or Asian company? Couldn’t work it out.

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
Morning all!

@ahojfelixi - I emailed the SwitchEasy CoverBuddy people and got back this response (I note she ignored my questions of whether it was actually in stock, when it would ship or what shipping courier they use though!):

“Dear Simon,
Please don't worry that our system was fixed and the item you purchased for 2020 CoverBuddy for iPad Pro 12.9" will be arranged soon.
Please kindly wait with patience and we provide tracking information once we have updates.”

So, at least an acknowledgement! Ha.

Are they a US or Asian company? Couldn’t work it out.
Morning!

I got the a similar message though not totally the same. Think they are in fact replying but it looks like a website upgrade caused my order tracking to be lost.

I checked it out and saw what you mentioned about free world wide shipping with a $25 expedited.

When I ordered this wasn’t the option.

But I noticed on my confirmation I have Expedited shipping.
Oh well. Too late now to change.

I suspect they just very busy:

Email -
Thanks for your email. Sorry about that we are upgrading to the new website and the old data can’t be found in the new site. Since iPad Pro 2020 just released, we are having so many orders online and experiencing much traffic here, our team will reply each individual customer about the order tracking status very soon.

Kindly wait for us a bit. Thank you so much for your help in advance :)
—-

still it has helped me relax that they’re legit and it will ship. Hopefully the expedited will be worth it!

I think they are US but I bet all their products get made in China and perhaps they ship from there too.

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Morning!

I got the a similar message though not totally the same. Think they are in fact replying but it looks like a website upgrade caused my order tracking to be lost.

I checked it out and saw what you mentioned about free world wide shipping with a $25 expedited.

When I ordered this wasn’t the option.

But I noticed on my confirmation I have Expedited shipping.
Oh well. Too late now to change.

I suspect they just very busy:

Email -
Thanks for your email. Sorry about that we are upgrading to the new website and the old data can’t be found in the new site. Since iPad Pro 2020 just released, we are having so many orders online and experiencing much traffic here, our team will reply each individual customer about the order tracking status very soon.

Kindly wait for us a bit. Thank you so much for your help in advance :)
—-

still it has helped me relax that they’re legit and it will ship. Hopefully the expedited will be worth it!

I think they are US but I bet all their products get made in China and perhaps they ship from there too.

@ahojfelixi Ah yes, definitely looks like their “lockdown” web upgrade has messed things up a bit eh? :D

Good that they’re responding at least though like you say.

I asked them some more direct questions and got this response:

“The item you purchased for CoverBuddy iPad Pro 12.9 in Black will be available on 2-3 business days.
Then we will arrange shipping for you soon. We will choose DHL / FedEx for expedited shipping.
Please kindly wait with patience and let us know freely if you have any question. Please don't worry and I will provide you tracking information once we have any updates.
The CoverBuddy for 2020 is in hot selling, we will arrange and send every order out soon.
Our brand is original from US, we will ship from China as the warehouse is closer to Korea.”

ahojfelixi

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2019
UK
@ahojfelixi Ah yes, definitely looks like their “lockdown” web upgrade has messed things up a bit eh? :D

Good that they’re responding at least though like you say.

I asked them some more direct questions and got this response:

“The item you purchased for CoverBuddy iPad Pro 12.9 in Black will be available on 2-3 business days.
Then we will arrange shipping for you soon. We will choose DHL / FedEx for expedited shipping.
Please kindly wait with patience and let us know freely if you have any question. Please don't worry and I will provide you tracking information once we have any updates.
The CoverBuddy for 2020 is in hot selling, we will arrange and send every order out soon.
Our brand is original from US, we will ship from China as the warehouse is closer to Korea.”

That all sounds pretty good and I can understand how this is a “hot selling” product.
Hoping the DHL or FedEx shipment doesn’t get hit with custom’s duty etc and held up.

Do you think that this case might make the iPad + Magic Keyboard close in a bit of an awkward way. As in too much clamping force on the iPad itself at the hinge. I’ve rewatched the video that came out a few days before shipments arrived where I first saw this case and it looks like it works and is OK.

While I’d really like an item that allows for the pencil to be stowed, I do like the way the Magic Keyboard snaps snugly shut as it does now.

Very much first world problems. But... I over worry re iDevices ;)

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
That all sounds pretty good and I can understand how this is a “hot selling” product.
Hoping the DHL or FedEx shipment doesn’t get hit with custom’s duty etc and held up.

Do you think that this case might make the iPad + Magic Keyboard close in a bit of an awkward way. As in too much clamping force on the iPad itself at the hinge. I’ve rewatched the video that came out a few days before shipments arrived where I first saw this case and it looks like it works and is OK.

While I’d really like an item that allows for the pencil to be stowed, I do like the way the Magic Keyboard snaps snugly shut as it does now.

Very much first world problems. But... I over worry re iDevices ;)

@ahojfelixi Haha! I know what you mean. I’m the same!

Hard to say, I think it will still close but might make it a lot chunkier?
Also the mic cancelling thing when it closes might be affected I reckon?

You could even add this to the back of the CoverBuddy if you want to go all out! Haha!

Attach this to the back of the CoverBuddy, pop the CoverBuddy into the keyboard case...

If you need to draw, take the CoverBuddy out of the keyboard case, close the keyboard to use as a flat “base”, pop up this device and you’ve got a mini drawing station! Not “elegant” but maybe workable...

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Decided to leave backlit brightness on 100% all day to see the difference in battery life....iPad was on about 20% when went bed last night but saying this i stopped using it about 18:30-19:00 and it was on 27%

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Decided to leave backlit brightness on 100% all day to see the difference in battery life....iPad was on about 20% when went bed last night but saying this i stopped using it about 18:30-19:00 and it was on 27%

Ah cool, so still a full day’s use them roughly starting at 100% battery with the keyboard always on?

That’s not too bad. I’m charging mine now and will see what happens from 100% today, but I won’t be using it non stop today as doing other things too.

As a side note, did you charge using the main connector on the iPad or use the keyboards charging port?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ah cool, so still a full day’s use them roughly starting at 100% battery with the keyboard always on?

That’s not too bad. I’m charging mine now and will see what happens from 100% today, but I won’t be using it non stop today as doing other things too.

As a side note, did you charge using the main connector on the iPad or use the keyboards charging port?
It’s now on 85% at near 13:00 but i have used it less so far this morning.

I’ve only charged using the normal port so far. Not found a need for it yet but i guess this will be more useful at a desk than on my lap like it has been so far.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
It’s easy to see the route apple are going with this that’s for sure.

Can’t wait! Lumafusion is a really great FCPX app but interested to see what Apple will do since they’re good at “just making things work”...hopeful that they may allow editing photos/video directly from a connected SSD. That’s the holy grail for my workflow on iPad Pro!

Reactions: The Game 161

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Can’t wait! Lumafusion is a really great FCPX app but interested to see what Apple will do since they’re good at “just making things work”...hopeful that they may allow editing photos/video directly from a connected SSD. That’s the holy grail for my workflow on iPad Pro!

2f89393871b84a159778399d172e1d24.jpg

Good to have option

trashmac

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
London
Just received my Cover Buddy (in the UK from Mobilefun). It is for the 2018 model rather than the most recent version.

Only put it on quickly but my first impression is that seems interfere slightly with the proper closing of the Magic Keyboard. I've tried it with my Apple Smart Keyboard and it seems to be fine but on the Magic keyboard it doesn't seem to want to close naturally - it does close but there is a slight gap unless you push it (suggesting there is something, somewhere, stopping it from closing).

I'll experiment a bit more to work out what the issue is (busy right now).

macsplusmacs

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2014
I love this keyboard.

I think most of the reviews have been spot on (not as heavy for me though personally)

This is going to along with 13.4 and iPad os change my workflows for the better.

happy with the purchase so far. very happy

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
Just received my Cover Buddy (in the UK from Mobilefun). It is for the 2018 model rather than the most recent version.

Only put it on quickly but my first impression is that seems interfere slightly with the proper closing of the Magic Keyboard. I've tried it with my Apple Smart Keyboard and it seems to be fine but on the Magic keyboard it doesn't seem to want to close naturally - it does close but there is a slight gap unless you push it (suggesting there is something, somewhere, stopping it from closing).

I'll experiment a bit more to work out what the issue is (busy right now).

Amazing @trashmac! Thanks for posting your thoughts. Having just ordered the 2020 version direct from the company yesterday I would definitely be interested in hearing more of your thoughts on it (or even post some photos or video for reference)?

Appreciate it! Only when you have time! :)

SimonMScott

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
UK
My experience today don’t think there has been any notice difference battery life wise with the magic keyboard to the old ASK

Sounds good!

I’ve got experience of battery life with iPad Pro only, as this is my first keyboard case, so maybe I’m just thinking it’s a big hit on the battery because of that?

Reactions: The Game 161
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.