Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New Next-Generation iPad Case Offers Further Hints of Larger Speaker

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Earlier today, a rumor surfaced from a Japanese blog claiming that the next-generation iPad will include a larger speaker grille extending around to the rear of the device. The physical feature has been the subject of considerable speculation since a number of cases purportedly designed for the device contain much larger hole in that location than would be required for the existing speaker design.

Another rumor surfacing at the same time as the initial cases claimed that the next-generation iPad will offer an SD card slot, leading some to speculate that the larger hole at the location of the speaker might be to accommodate such a slot, but today's rumor suggested that the next-generation iPad will indeed simply include a larger speaker in that location.

Claimed second-generation iPad case showing mesh cover for speaker
(Note: iPad and rear features are clearly mockups for illustrative purposes.)

Working from the new information, Electronista discovered a new case posted on trade site Alibaba.com that seems to support the speaker claim by showing what appears to be a speaker grille mocked up in the area of the larger hole. While the case depicted in the listing clearly contains mockups of the existing iPad in the front view and camera and speaker grille in the rear view, the image suggests that case vendors are designing their cases with the idea that the feature near the bottom rear of the device is in fact a speaker and not a card slot or other physical connector or button.

Article Link: New Next-Generation iPad Case Offers Further Hints of Larger Speaker

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
a bigger speaker? what about STEREO speakers? i find it pretty lame for being a premium product and only having mono sound.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
And still they don't put the speakers further apart to get a decent stereo effect.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Kind of a vague mock-up!

And still they don't put the speakers further apart to get a decent stereo effect.

The device can be held every which way. Diagonal speakers could be interesting, but probably not worth it.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Speakers on the front would be ideal since this is a multimedia device after all. Or at least some stereo speakers on the side. A micro-USB port(charge/sync ) and SD slot would be great feature too.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
a bigger speaker? what about STEREO speakers? i find it pretty lame for being a premium product and only having mono sound.

Sound quality from mobile device speakers is crap anyways. You might as well have crappy mono, because crappy stereo isn't any better. Especially given that the speaker is at the rear of the device, projecting downwards and away from you.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
I was messing around with the iPads at an Apple Store last night and was disappointed that I couldn't hear anything coming from them. This is a good move in my opinion.

JAG77

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Central Illinois
So..let me get this straight... They want to make the next iPad with a flat back so it can lay flat on a table.. and then their going to put this giant speaker on the back just to make sure all the sound goes right into the table? hm...

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006

Yikes. For a 10" device marketed as media consumption device - that's really lame if true. Even the Galaxy Tab has Stereo speakers. Sounds like the price of the Tab is justified over the iPad - 2 Cameras, Stereo speakers, double RAM.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Where is the iPhone Nano then? Cases for that have been available for long time. Seriously, these case news are useless. I can go on and make a case for iPad 6 with dozen holes in it and name the new features. IMO this belongs to Page 2, no reliable proofs

Ryox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
UK
Cant they put stereo speakers on the ipad?? Its big enough to have 2 of these speakers at then bottom. That would be so much nicer.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
So if I'm listening to music from the speakers, it'll be blast away from me? So it's quieter from my perspective.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yes!!! That's exactly what I wanted - a better speaker on my iPad. /sarcasm

I mean, who wants an SD card slot or a mini-USB? /sarcastic rhetorical question

BTW:
- The rear facing camera hole looks way to big, in proportion to an 10 inch iPad - either a bad Photoshop, a supersize lens, or a 7 inch iPad. Hmm... Which one's the most likely? /sarcasm

- The speaker would be facing the ground - great for kids, hiding under the table, not wanting to eat the rest of their food.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
With all of this talk about stereo speakers...it seems to me that Apple ought to partner up with Bose on some of this stuff.
Bose is one of those companies which makes decent products at the ultra-high pricing because their brand recognition is what people are paying money for. There are better options for the buck. Kinda like Monster, but not quite as bad.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
Bose is one of those companies which makes decent products at the ultra-high pricing because their brand recognition is what people are paying money for. There are better options for the buck. Kinda like Monster, but not quite as bad.

uhh bose speakers are cheap $2 Chinese made drivers with DSP on DSP, its not great at all... just really expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.