Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
On one hand, this sounds extremely awesome. :cool:

But at the same time, I think this is a great way to give sensitive people motion sickness while they're just sitting down on a couch with a headset. :p
I don’t think it’s POV, I think the camera is stationary, just in the middle of the action. I could be wrong.

Reactions: doelcm82

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ensure to place empty medium or large size popcorn bag to the Apple designed belt holder for quick dispensing should you need to expel projectile 🤮.

Anyone with vertigo or motion sickness symptoms are going to have new upholstery design in their homes watching this one with Vision Pro lol.

Just remember to eat at least 8 slices of wheat and rye bread with hefty amounts of peanut butter so that the coat applies and sets readily after dispersal ;)

Trust me I know from personal experience, gives a speckle stone look lol 😆

Last edited by a moderator:

culex

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2023
So many things to passively watch, so few to do. Apple really needs to rethink its approach to controllers. Good haptic feedback, precise control, and easy conversion of existing VR programs—I don't get it. They usually never miss out on the business of accessories.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA
AVP is a dud. People who defend it are just flailing away trying to justify why they spent $3500 on a toy that gets boring to use after about a week
Do you really know this or is it just your opinion? If you bought one and got bored after about a week I might have greater respect for your statement.

I haven't bought one and don't know what I would think about having one.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
This is great, but we need this kind of thing every week, without fail, to give people a reason to get excited about the product
Yeah - I would expect this to not even be a news item as it should have just been a regular thing. The Apple TV+ Immersive content has been quite a mystery after the AVP launch, single episodes released, weeks of nothing, then a small trickle of 5 minutes of content once every 2-3 weeks. It is all super high quality, but you could get through all of it in a 30 minute demo of the headset...

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Yeah - I would expect this to not even be a news item as it should have just been a regular thing. The Apple TV+ Immersive content has been quite a mystery after the AVP launch, single episodes released, weeks of nothing, then a small trickle of 5 minutes of content once every 2-3 weeks. It is all super high quality, but you could get through all of it in a 30 minute demo of the headset...
Yep exactly. If there was a string of weekly new content via Apple TV+ it would be a real motivator. The last 3 months if anything has shown that Apple is either lazy or doesn't believe in their own platform (or both).

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Ensure to place empty medium or large size popcorn bag to the Apple designed belt holder for quick dispensing should you need to expel projectile 🤮.

Anyone with vertigo or motion sickness symptoms are going to have new upholstery design in their homes watching this one with Vision Pro lol.

Just remember to eat at least 8 slices of wheat and rye bread with hefty amounts of peanut butter so that the coat applies and sets readily after dispersal ;)

Trust me I know from personal experience, gives a speckle stone look lol 😆
Thanks for the heads up but I don’t have motion sickness.

• Love
Reactions: DeepIn2U

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
There's a lot of negativity here about AVP. I, for one, hope Apple keeps throwing mud at the wall. I'm a fan of VR and while I've not yet pulled the trigger on AVP, I do want one.

New product categories take a while. iPad 1.0 was lambasted for just being a 'big iPhone' and while you could still argue that to some extent, I use my iPad every day and can't imagine life without it. Similarly - so many just laughed at the Apple Watch and yet, several years on, here we are with thing being invaluable to many (including myself).

There is a compelling niche for AVP. We just don't know what that is yet. Apple Watch started as a luxury geek item, but now it's a fitness tracker that millions wear daily. AVP is still in the luxury geek phase - there will be a compelling use case for this in time. And while it might never be a massive hit like the iPhone I'm sure it going to lead the AR/VR field as it iterates over the years.

All of this said.... I must agree with the overall tone of this thread - Parkour videos might not be the killer app we are waiting for....

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Agreed, live sports and concerts would also drive a ton of sales, imo.

I was at the Las Vegas Sphere for U2. If they could give us something that gives a similar sense of wonder on the AVP, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

It's a tall order for sure, but every now and then, even my $400 Oculus Quest can trick my brain enough into giving me a sense of 'presence' or 'being there'. When it happens it is amazing. If Apple could get content right, then it would surely lead to sales aplenty.

I'm lucky enough to be in a position to buy one of these things on a whim. However, I don't like to waste money and won't pull the trigger until there's a compelling reason to do so. Give me access to convincing front row seats at concerts and live sports, and I'll place my order NOW. Even if it was pay per view.

Reactions: lovehateapple

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
There's a lot of negativity here about AVP. I, for one, hope Apple keeps throwing mud at the wall. I'm a fan of VR and while I've not yet pulled the trigger on AVP, I do want one.

New product categories take a while. iPad 1.0 was lambasted for just being a 'big iPhone' and while you could still argue that to some extent, I use my iPad every day and can't imagine life without it. Similarly - so many just laughed at the Apple Watch and yet, several years on, here we are with thing being invaluable to many (including myself).

There is a compelling niche for AVP. We just don't know what that is yet. Apple Watch started as a luxury geek item, but now it's a fitness tracker that millions wear daily. AVP is still in the luxury geek phase - there will be a compelling use case for this in time. And while it might never be a massive hit like the iPhone I'm sure it going to lead the AR/VR field as it iterates over the years.
That's what I thought about the first iPad too, but I bit the bullet and got one in March, before AT&T stopped offering unlimited internet for it for $30.00/month.
The first week all I was thinking about was when to return it. But my mid of the second week it found its place in my daily life as a work, educational and entertainment tool. Before the end of the week it paid itself, as it allowed me to do some remote work while on the road on a day when I didn't want to carry my bulky laptop.

In a similar way, the AVP is starting to fit into my daily life as a work, educational and entertainment tool.
And now I take it on the road together with my 13" MacBook Pro and iPad Pro 12.9" (yes, it's a very heavy and expensive backpack!). I use it when I need to see multiple windows at once.

All of this said.... I must agree with the overall tone of this thread - Parkour videos might not be the killer app we are waiting for....
But at least these will keep us entertained until such killer app arrives! 😂

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.