Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshuaBru

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Ottawa Ont Canada
Same. Apparently we are in the minority, too. Nothing like demonstrating your ground-breaking tech with content that was popular 15-20+ years ago.
Minority but not by much I’d assume. It’s really pretty impressive how badly the VR hype train fell off. Literally no one’s talking about it anymore. And I’ve never seen one in the wild.

NARadyk

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2021
UK
Let’s all take a big, deep inhale together.

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpeg
    IMG_1080.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 20

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I would buy an AVP today if I could watch the Masters in 4K VR or if U2 releases a VR concert video from the Sphere in Las Vegas. I'd also like to be able to view my own VR content I've shot with my Insta360 One X camera on it.
To view videos taken with your Insta360 camera, there is an App called MoonPlayer that does a really good job. It was available for free at launch, but didn't work. Many updates later it works well. They have it priced at $10, but on sale for $5. I paid $30 for an equivalent app on the Quest 3.

MoonPlayer only displays movies, not stills. I haven't found a player yet that will display stills from my Insta360. I haven't looked lately. I hope Apple will include that function in Photos.

Photos will display panorama photos taken with the iPhone, and the results are often breathtaking. It interprets any abnormally wide photo as a panorama, so I think if you cropped a 360 photo it would display as a panorama. Or there may be utilities to convert 360 degree photos to panoramas.

Razorpit

Suspended
Feb 2, 2021
I really liked the tightrope walker video, but was disappointed there wasn’t more.

Kinda wish there was a camera I could take paragliding and be able to share those flights in Apple Immersive format. Immersive videos will be a huge market in 10 years.
Just wear your Vision Pro and record away!

AVP is a dud. People who defend it are just flailing away trying to justify why they spent $3500 on a toy that gets boring to use after about a week
The tech is incredible. The price is not. Until they can get the price significantly lower they're going to have a limited audience. $3500 might not seem like a lot if you're single and doing well for yourself, but that's a season of hockey for one of my kids, a new dive computer and regulator, A PS5, PSVR2, and an XBOX whatever with a bunch of games.

$3500 is a big ask for regular people.

More than half of fortune 100 using it and you’re calling it a dud? Now that’s funny.
What does that even mean? Were a few CEO's given them as token gifts from Tim? Did more than half of Fortune 100 companies completely ditch their work monitors? Did all the employees run out and buy them for home use? Context is everything.

MacLoveMacHate

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2017
Personally, entertainment like this or fully immersive movies is the way to sell the VP as I don't want to work for 8 hours with the thing on my face.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Just wear your Vision Pro and record away!
Again, and like I said to the other person, Spatial Videos are NOT Immersive Video format. They’re a little 3D box. It’s cool, but it’s only a half step towards what I’m looking for.

Apple has a few Immersive Video series it’s working on (including the adventure sports series where Parkour is episode 2), and there are some content producers working on third party stuff, but I want a prosumer level device that can record full 180 3D content. It’s inevitable, but if there’s a solution already, I haven’t found it.

The fact that two people in a tech forum don’t even know the difference between the two formats doesn’t leave me with much hope…

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
He’s calling it a dud because of the amount of people who have purchased it being about 200,000 total sales.
The amount that’s available second hand online & cheaper is probably another reason why people are calling it a dud
I love how people just throw out made-up numbers like they are facts.

PowerButton

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2022
I wish Apple would release more information about the proprietors camera they use. Perhaps make them available?

Razorpit

Suspended
Feb 2, 2021
Again, and like I said to the other person, Spatial Videos are NOT Immersive Video format. They’re a little 3D box. It’s cool, but it’s only a half step towards what I’m looking for.

Apple has a few Immersive Video series it’s working on (including the adventure sports series where Parkour is episode 2), and there are some content producers working on third party stuff, but I want a prosumer level device that can record full 180 3D content. It’s inevitable, but if there’s a solution already, I haven’t found it.

The fact that two people in a tech forum don’t even know the difference between the two formats doesn’t leave me with much hope…
I apologize I didn't include a /s at the end of my comment.

The fact that someone in a tech forum thought I was seriously suggesting someone wear a first generation VR device while operating a flying machine doesn’t leave me with much hope…

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I would buy an AVP today if I could watch the Masters in 4K VR or if U2 releases a VR concert video from the Sphere in Las Vegas. I'd also like to be able to view my own VR content I've shot with my Insta360 One X camera on it.
Apple has been painfully, sickeningly slow to release their own media much less collaborations. The tech is amazing and I use for work…but they are releasing episodes of the immersive experiences less than once a month. It doesn’t give me hope for my dream of court side NBA.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
So many things to passively watch, so few to do. Apple really needs to rethink its approach to controllers. Good haptic feedback, precise control, and easy conversion of existing VR programs—I don't get it. They usually never miss out on the business of accessories.
It has amazing controllers…keyboard, mouse, hands, and eyes.

Way too expensive for a game machine. It’s a work machine (admittedly hobbled by iPad OS).

Last edited:

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
To view videos taken with your Insta360 camera, there is an App called MoonPlayer that does a really good job. It was available for free at launch, but didn't work. Many updates later it works well. They have it priced at $10, but on sale for $5. I paid $30 for an equivalent app on the Quest 3.

MoonPlayer only displays movies, not stills. I haven't found a player yet that will display stills from my Insta360. I haven't looked lately. I hope Apple will include that function in Photos.

Photos will display panorama photos taken with the iPhone, and the results are often breathtaking. It interprets any abnormally wide photo as a panorama, so I think if you cropped a 360 photo it would display as a panorama. Or there may be utilities to convert 360 degree photos to panoramas.
Thanks, that's good to know. I will have to upgrade my Insta360 One X to an Insta360 X4. Still aiming for a Christmas time purchase of the AVP.

I heard a rumor U2 might be releasing a concert video of their Sphere show later this year. Hoping & Praying it is in a 360° format viewable on the AVP. 🤞

Reactions: doelcm82

fabbydabby1

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2023
Any numbers you see online I would take with less than a grain of salt as they are guesses.
So everyone is wrong when they have said they have sold about 200,000 units?
And the amount that’s for sale secondhand for a cheaper price must also means it’s successful
Or are we just skipping over that part

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
So everyone is wrong when they have said they have sold about 200,000 units?
And the amount that’s for sale secondhand for a cheaper price must also means it’s successful
Or are we just skipping over that part
Yes, and those numbers were from Janurary anyways.

Delivered

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2022

Apple is set to release a new immersive video on the Vision Pro on Friday, with "Parkour" labeled as episode two in the "Adventure" series. Episode one is the "Highlining" video that shows highliner Faith Dickey walking across a tightrope 3,000 feet above Norway's fjords.

apple-adventure-parkour.jpg

A description of the Parkour episode invites Vision Pro wearers to join the "world's leading parkour athletes" as they go on a "gravity-defying trek across the streets and rooftops of Paris."

Apple says that its Adventure series is aimed at immersing Vision Pro users in the world of adventure "like never before." Apple works with pioneering athletes facing extraordinary challenges across the world.

Apple Immersive Video is an entertainment format that features 180-degree 3D 8K video recordings captured with spatial audio. The Vision Pro launched with several Immersive Videos, including Prehistoric Planet, Wild Life, and Alicia Keys: Rehearsal Room, and Apple has since added a video highlighting the best of the 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs.

The latest "Parkour" video is set to launch on Friday, May 24.

Article Link: New 'Parkour' Immersive Video Coming to Vision Pro on Friday
Oh God I want to vomit thinking about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.