Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdawg4324

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2005
Turlock CA
math question

I know the math question would be easy. But it’s the fact that they ask it that bothers me. What if the winner is a retard and can not answer the question. Having the winner take a math test would to me seem like discrimination against people with a low IQ. I am sure there is a more efficient way to make sure it is not a dog entering the contest.

And so what if my dog wins an ipod its not his fault he likes pepsi.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
otterpop said:
p.s. for the sake of argument. Yes, i do realize the irony of diet pepsi and a candy bar w/480 calories of coconut goodness.

nice, i always enjoy watching people buy a mars bar and a diet soda :rolleyes:

i wish steve would partner with some smaller drinks companys like the people who make V8, and other healthy drinks, if the apple/mac donalds rumor was true i probably would never live with myself useing itunes again.

oilhistorian

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2005
PA
3Memos said:
The math test is pretty is easy for any 3rd grader. I have no idea why they make you take a math skill test.

I'm not Canadian nor am I conversant with Canadian law. However, in some US states, games of chance are illegal (or are a government monopoly) -- i.e., you can't participate in a promotion/contest wherein the chances of winning are entirely random. To get around around this, such promotions in these jurisdictions invariably include a "skill" question, thereby rendering the promotion a contest of "skill" and not merely "random."

dogcowabunga

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2004
Apple's iPod Shuffle page helpfully tells users, "Do not eat iPod Shuffle."

I think Apple may be exposing itself to lawsuits, once users realize: it is healthier to eat iPod Shuffle than to drink Pepsi.

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
Dr. pepper not included

Centris 650 said:
Well, one thing that no one has pointed out yet is that the last promo was only for Sierra Mist and Pepsi bottles. Otter said he bought a Dr. Pepper which means that caps might be on the other major Pepsi products. That will go a long way to helping out the promo. I HATE Pepsi and didn't buy one last year. (However my wife likes Sierra Mist and that's how I got the bulk of my free tunes!) Looking forward to buying some Dr. Pepper and getting free tunes!

I am sorry for bursting your bubble, but Dr. Pepper is a Coke product. I wish they would do this with Coke instead, but hey free music is free music, no matter what you drink.

DPazdanISU

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Near Chicago
dogcowabunga said:
Apple's iPod Shuffle page helpfully tells users, "Do not eat iPod Shuffle."

I think Apple may be exposing itself to lawsuits, once users realize: it is healthier to eat iPod Shuffle than to drink Pepsi.

Yea I heard the iPod Shuffle has zero calories...
Not to be ADHD on you guys or anything but WTF I have to wait 3-4 weeks for my mac mini to come in cuz i ordered it with a superdrive :confused: :eek:

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Ktulu said:
I am sorry for bursting your bubble, but Dr. Pepper is a Coke product. I wish they would do this with Coke instead, but hey free music is free music, no matter what you drink.
Not that it matters much, but Dr. Pepper is not a Coke product. I might be wrong, but I think that Dr. Pepper is an independent soda company/formulation. In some regions, it is bottled by Coca Cola Bottling and in other regions, it is bottled by Pepsi. In the Pepsi regions, Coke offers a product called Mr. Pibb to compete with Dr. Pepper.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Centris 650 said:
Well, one thing that no one has pointed out yet is that the last promo was only for Sierra Mist and Pepsi bottles. Otter said he bought a Dr. Pepper which means that caps might be on the other major Pepsi products. That will go a long way to helping out the promo. I HATE Pepsi and didn't buy one last year. (However my wife likes Sierra Mist and that's how I got the bulk of my free tunes!) Looking forward to buying some Dr. Pepper and getting free tunes!
This is what happens when you read threads backwards.

Otter said that he was going to the miniMart to buy Dr. Pepper, but he spotted Diet Pepsis with yellow caps. He actually bought 2 Diet Pepsis.

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
Interesting

ftaok said:
Not that it matters much, but Dr. Pepper is not a Coke product. I might be wrong, but I think that Dr. Pepper is an independent soda company/formulation. In some regions, it is bottled by Coca Cola Bottling and in other regions, it is bottled by Pepsi. In the Pepsi regions, Coke offers a product called Mr. Pibb to compete with Dr. Pepper.

I know about Mr. Pibb, but here in Michigan Dr. Pepper is a Coke product. I didn't know that different companies could bottle the same drink in different regions.

Thank you for the clarification, and sorry for the very minor flaming of the original post.

As a side note, I just want to start seeing the yellow caps around here, it seems that many people are seeing them in great quantities by them.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
As a habitual Dr Pepper drinker (when there are no iTunes/Pepsi promos in progress), I must remind you that there is no period after the 'Dr' in Dr Pepper. You can call your computer a MAC if you like, but it's extremely important to spell Dr Pepper correctly, lest forum readers be hopelessly confused.

And, speaking of soft drink rivalries, it would be ironic to use a winning cap to buy Pepsi's least favorite iTune: I'd Like To Teach the World To Sing by the New Seekers. In the 1970s, it was written as a Coke commercial ("I'd like to Buy the World a Coke"), but it was so popular that it was released as a commercial record too! More details here.

cheese1113

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2004
Yes!!!!

Well,
I don't drink soda, but everyone at my school does.
I will probably be digging through trash cans :) :)

—cheese1113

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
Phat_Pat said:
It actually didnt do very well last year.

Thousands upon thousands wernt claimed. That bottle probably been sitting there for a year.... lol

know what that means? nobody drinks pepsi... majority of people prefer coke! :D

MIADolFan

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
Tampa Bay Area, Florida
I will probably max out again at 200 songs. My wife works at a call center that has nothing but pepsi machines. I got so many caps last year I maxed it out. I had to keep a bucket next to my computer and redeem the max each day. At one point iTunes said I had 40 something free songs available. Then I had to rush to use em all!!!

Vick7

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2005
Hey everyone, I played in last years iPod every hour contest here in Canada (I won 3 20 gig ipods!).

Here's some stuff about that contest.

was it legit?
Yes!! Like I said, I won 3 ipods (and never bought a Pepsi product).

the skill testing question
It was always the same, it was:
(40 x 8) / 2 + 55 - 15
(answer is 200)
I never noticed anything about a time limit.
Also, this is done for legal reasons, to avoid some kinda of tax on lotteries or something. The math question is not "to make sure you aren't a dog", as someone said.

no purchase necessary
On the contest site, one could fill out a 10 question survey every hour and recieve a free PIN to play. You could only fill the survey out once an hour, and your answers on the survey didn't matter (i.e. you could put an X in the spaces rather than a real answer).

multiple accounts
many people created an account for every member of their family, and thus could collect a pin for each every hour.

notification of win
at 5 mins past the hour, they would draw a winning pin and that person would be emailed (or SMS msged - I think that was an option). After getting the email one would have 48 hours to follow the instructions (go to a certain site, fill out some stuff, answer the math question) in it and recieve their prize.

how long did it take to get what you won?
about 3 weeks after you win the postman comes with your present.

how hard is it to win?
I played about 1700 pins total and won thrice. Other people played a lot more and won a lot less, and others played a lot less and won a lot more. Well, I dunno about a lot more, I know that if you check the winners list some family names comes up a good 7-8 times (family names in the same city I mean, which I assume is the same household unless it's Smith or something, in which case who knows).

Good luck all!
Too bad it's just the mini for the US, but hey, a free ipod is a free ipod!!

otterpop

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
oregon
Ktulu said:
I know about Mr. Pibb, but here in Michigan Dr. Pepper is a Coke product.

As far as i know, Pibb is a coke product.
Dr. Pepper / 7up are independant.

and here in Oregon (at least Eugene) Dr Pepper is bottled by Pepsi.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
jbembe said:
I was just thinking about this. I hope they solve their poor distribution problems this time-- although I think many more people know about iTMS than last year, so Apple probably doesn't have quite as much to benefit from the promotion as it did last year.

I disagree. Apple has everything to benefit from this. Sure, more people know about iTMS than last year but have they ever gone to the store? Knowing about it and using it are 2 different things.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
No Pepsi ONE?!

Unfortunately for me, I don't drink regular Pepsi and cannot stomach the taste of Diet Pepsi -- they seem to have these iTunes caps on every brand except Pepsi ONE. *sigh*

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
TreeHugger said:
know what that means? nobody drinks pepsi... majority of people prefer coke! :D

In our household, it's that Pepsi is rarely on sale. So my wife buys Coke by default. A change is nice occasionally.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
freiheit said:
Unfortunately for me, I don't drink regular Pepsi and cannot stomach the taste of Diet Pepsi -- they seem to have these iTunes caps on every brand except Pepsi ONE. *sigh*
Well, last year's promotion was "officially" tied in with Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, and Sierra Mist. There were reports that in some areas, iTunes caps were put on Mountain Dew bottles.

So maybe in your area, the local Pepsi bottler will choose to put caps onto Pepsi One bottles to pump up sales of that brand.

Or maybe not.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:
As a habitual Dr Pepper drinker (when there are no iTunes/Pepsi promos in progress), I must remind you that there is no period after the 'Dr' in Dr Pepper. You can call your computer a MAC if you like, but it's extremely important to spell Dr Pepper correctly, lest forum readers be hopelessly confused.

And, speaking of soft drink rivalries, it would be ironic to use a winning cap to buy Pepsi's least favorite iTune: I'd Like To Teach the World To Sing by the New Seekers. In the 1970s, it was written as a Coke commercial ("I'd like to Buy the World a Coke"), but it was so popular that it was released as a commercial record too! More details here.

I have had Dr Pepper before, but never acquired a taste for the soda.

Both of your songs are awesome. The type that you play over and over your head. Very catchy tunes. ;)

jncrow

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2003
I have got the email sent out to work that I have dibs on the unwanted itunes(winning) caps. Have to specify that or they would bring them all to me just to be funny. I am set and ready to keep an eye out for them.

Come on Pepsi...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.