Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The watchOS 5.2.1 update released today includes several rainbow-colored Pride watch faces that are new to the Apple Watch face gallery.

There's a new 2019 digital pride Apple Watch face, which, like the 2018 pride watch face features rainbow stripes that wiggle when tapped or when your wrist is raised. Instead of six spaced out rainbow lines with black behind them, the new watch face features rainbow stripes that take up the entirety of the watch face in eight colors.

applewatchpridefaces-800x348.jpg

Apple has also added two new Pride Analog faces, one that's square shaped and one that's round, both with analog hands. The new analog watch faces change colors each time the wrist is raised, and wiggle like the rainbow stripe face. Each of the new watch faces support a limited number of complications.

For the last several years, Apple has debuted new pride Apple Watch bands during WWDC, and the company is likely to introduce another new rainbow design this year, which could feature solid stripes like the watch face.

prideapplewatch2-800x514.jpg

Apple participates in the San Francisco Pride Parade every year in support of the LGBTQ community. Apple employees march in the parade, Apple creates dedicated t-shirts, and also hosts other celebrations throughout the month of June.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: New Pride Watch Faces Available in watchOS 5.2.1

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Digital one looks a bit like a usability nightmare, but I'm not opposed to more options.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I don't like this years. but more just cause it doesn't appeal to my artstyle and too busy.

But, keep up with the pride inspired watch faces, bands etc. They're awesome

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I genuinely don’t understand why or how sex has become a thing that so many people feel the need to tout so publicly. What a strange reality we live in.

To be clear, this is just an observation. Not a political comment.

We live in a "me, me, look at me" era, where people are convinced (and convinced themselves) that the world cares about their sexuality, tastes, life, cats/puppies, possessions, habits, kids, etc to a point that has reached the insane. Sexuality is just a tiny portion of it.

(On topic, I do not like the faces, way too busy in my opinion)

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
I genuinely don’t understand why or how sex has become a thing that so many people feel the need to tout so publicly. What a strange reality we live in.

Well when people are treated equally under the law.... tout'ing is a must! And side note, LGBT Pride has nothing to do with sex...

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

I'm going to chime in, because I once believed that as well. While I'm mostly a "keep it in the bedroom and enjoy" to whatever floats anyones boat, the idea behind Pride andbeing loud about it, is because historically, those who were LGBTQS2 are often punished, discriminated against and in some places, beaten to death just for being who they are.

The pride and shouting it out loud is a way of saying "I'm here, I'm queer, and I'm not going to hide for any bigot"

Even though I'm not LGBTQS2 myself, I consider myself a friend, and I support their message because of the way I used to think about silencing them. again, I didn't want to silence it because i'm against it, I just didn't understand WHY and WHAT pride stood for. I always thought it was just an excuse for them to wave dicks around in public. It is not.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
I'm (proudly) straight, but these watch faces are excellent and will appeal to my (proud) gay friends as well as others. <3
There's something real cool 70s retro about them.
“Real cool 70s retro”. This does not compute. You must be young.

Anyone who was forced to wear or buy anything from the 70s during the 70s cannot fathom why anyone would want to bring back any of the mustard brown and avocado bubble font trash heap that was 70s design.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
It’s in poor taste for Apple to include gay pride watch faces, just like it would be in poor taste for Apple to include straight pride watch faces. Taking political sides is divisive because it excludes large groups of customers.

Apple should be apolitical. But an apolitical approach won’t happen due to Apple SJW CEO Tim Cook.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
is there any animation associated with these? I found out that the wallpapers for the iPhone that are similar to these have an animation when you unlock the phone.

Reactions: KarimLeVallois
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.