New Pride Watch Faces Available in watchOS 5.2.1

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
In some states there is no sexual orientation protection, hence LGBT+ are not protected... but so aren’t straight individuals.
See here https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2014/11/the_29_states_where_you_can_be_fired_for_being_straight.html
What is the likelihood someone will be fired because they're in a heterosexual relationship versus someone who may work for a company or an individual whose views aren't kind to homosexuality or otherwise, and may want to terminate their employment because their state labor board allows them to do so?

You can stretch reality all you want, but the truth is what I suggested happens far more than your innocent suggestion. In some states, there exists no statutes that protect minorities from hate crimes outside of race and religion. What then? It's a common occurrence to see a straight couple glassed in the face as much as two blokes or two lasses?

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
What is the likelihood someone will be fired because they're in a heterosexual relationship versus someone who may work for a company or an individual whose views aren't kind to homosexuality or otherwise, and may want to terminate their employment because their state labor board allows them to do so?

You can stretch reality all you want, but the truth is what I suggested happens far more than your innocent suggestion. In some states, there exists no statutes that protect minorities from hate crimes outside of race and religion. What then? It's a common occurrence to see a straight couple glassed in the face as much as two blokes or two lasses?
Yes, the likelihood is certainly much weighting on LGBT individuals being more discriminated, if nothing else due to the larger percentage of straight individuals.
However, I was replying to a post about “rights”. What you discuss is cultural behavior.
In general, laws do not protect a minority but a category (“race” etc). Obviously the goal is to have minorities protected, but that isn’t done through laws that protect only minorities but by protecting categories.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
In some states there is no sexual orientation protection, hence LGBT+ are not protected... but so aren’t straight individuals.
See here https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2014/11/the_29_states_where_you_can_be_fired_for_being_straight.html
That was a rhetorical question. I offered an example. Chances are more terminations would go towards people who live a different lifestyle. It isn't unheard of. If an employee is terrible, they'll be fired for being terrible. But if they're terminated with frivolous reason when they're a good employee, chances are it's because their employer found out about their life.
[doublepost=1558248008][/doublepost]
Yes, the likelihood is certainly much weighting on LGBT individuals being more discriminated, if nothing else due to the larger percentage of straight individuals.
However, I was replying to a post about “rights”. What you discuss is cultural behavior.
In general, laws do not protect a minority but a category (“race” etc). Obviously the goal is to have minorities protected, but that isn’t done through laws that protect only minorities but by protecting categories.
And thus that is the problem. You're also thinking in black and white here. You're thinking of visually gay. Let's not beat around the bush, pun not intended. Take for example Buttigieg. If he weren't married to a man and out, would anyone know he was gay? Probably not.

On the flip side, people think Lindsey Graham is gay because of his speech and behavior. He's a Republican Leslie Jordan, but he could very well be straight and terrible with women and or impotent.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Marketing at it's finest. You do realize they care nothing about your feelings but they'll use them to the end of time to make a buck...don't you?
You’re right it does make them money having the association but they also raise a lot of awareness and make sure they push what is an important issue. You only have to read what people write online to witness that homophobia is still very present in society.

Whenever you see something with a pride theme you get the usual moronic observations like, ‘why don’t they have a heterosexual flag watch face?’ or ‘stop pushing it in our faces’ or ‘I’m not homophobic but I don’t want to see it’....

A bit of marketing for a movement the CEO supports I think is good for everybody :)

Reactions: realtuner

danny842003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2017
Marketing at it's finest. You do realize they care nothing about your feelings but they'll use them to the end of time to make a buck...don't you?
Normally I would be cynical and agree with you but it’s obviously a race the CEO has a horse in so I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt.
To all the people going on about rights in America, you do realise Apple operates outside of your borders right? Not everything revolves around your perpetual neo Christian **** fight.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
You’re right it does make them money having the association but they also raise a lot of awareness and make sure they push what is an important issue. You only have to read what people write online to witness that homophobia is still very present in society.

Whenever you see something with a pride theme you get the usual moronic observations like, ‘why don’t they have a heterosexual flag watch face?’ or ‘stop pushing it in our faces’ or ‘I’m not homophobic but I don’t want to see it’....

A bit of marketing for a movement the CEO supports I think is good for everybody :)
Actually the questions you state are "moronic" are valid. Glad you brought those up. What do you have against heterosexuals?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Actually the questions you state are "moronic" are valid. Glad you brought those up. What do you have against heterosexuals?
None of those questions were valid, they were just prime examples of pure ignorance and ones we see all too often from uneducated homophobic individuals across the Internet.

Can you provide proof I have anything against heterosexuals? Back up your accusation.

Reactions: realtuner

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
What would a heterosexual watch face look like? The rainbow has become one of the symbols of the equality movement.
I would imagine he would want it to be a series of cool (less gay) colours to represent all the abuse and inequality heterosexual people have faced over the past 100 years. You know, because if gays want to be equal then we should forget that large swaths of society still feel it appropriate to level homophobic slurs at them at any chance that arises. After all people often say they have nothing against homosexuals, they just don’t want it shoved in their faces by gays holding hands and god forbid kiss each other in public etc etc.

Reactions: realtuner and Raid

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
None of those questions were valid, they were just prime examples of pure ignorance and ones we see all too often from uneducated homophobic individuals across the Internet.

Can you provide proof I have anything against heterosexuals? Back up your accusation.
Has nothing to do with homosexuals at all. It is about some groups expecting things others don't, and if someone points it out you say their argument is "Ignorant", "Homophobic", "Moronic", and "uneducated". Everyone wants to be a "group". Can't we just all be the human race, and stop segregating at every turn.

You made a statement that a heterosexual asking for a watch face is moronic, yet if a homosexual does it is is okay. Sounds like you have something against heterosexuals. Should I use the liberal tactic of calling this hetero-phobic?

Crowbot

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2018
NYC
I would imagine he would want it to be a series of cool (less gay) colours to represent all the abuse and inequality heterosexual people have faced over the past 100 years. You know, because if gays want to be equal then we should forget that large swaths of society still feel it appropriate to level homophobic slurs at them at any chance that arises. After all people often say they have nothing against homosexuals, they just don’t want it shoved in their faces by gays holding hands and god forbid kiss each other in public etc etc.
Some people just like to watch the world burn.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Has nothing to do with homosexuals at all. It is about some groups expecting things others don't, and if someone points it out you say their argument is "Ignorant", "Homophobic", "Moronic", and "uneducated". Everyone wants to be a "group". Can't we just all be the human race, and stop segregating at every turn.

You made a statement that a heterosexual asking for a watch face is moronic, yet if a homosexual does it is is okay. Sounds like you have something against heterosexuals. Should I use the liberal tactic of calling this hetero-phobic?
You evidently have no respect for the stigma homosexuals have faced throughout history and what they still go through today even with the pride movement. If you can’t see that there is a symbolism to this movement and the reasons behind it, how the hell are you ever going to understand the concept?

I have no idea what would constitute a ‘heterosexual watch face’ or what it would even stand for and symbolise, let alone convey struggles that particular sexual orientation has gone through? Would you care to explain? Is this just people being jealous that homosexuals get a bit of positive attention and they want to try and falsely claim inequality to suppress the meaning of pride? You’re keen to question it so why not properly explain your issues with it and what you think should be done?.........

Reactions: bandrews

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

eh? im gay but i have no interest at all to be classified ”as a group”. just want to be left without a notice.

people keep saying that ”today’s world everything is fine and you should stop asking more...” if everything is fine, then no one should need to ask anything, right? the reality is that everything isnt fine. lots of small things and acts that show that everything isnt just fine.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008

Go on then. Start a "straight pride" movement.

I spoke at a rural LGBT pride event on Saturday about an organisation I have helped set up to tackle homophobia in the agriculture industry. I know people who have had to endure either full on homophobic abuse as well as indirect discrimination. Some people have gone "back in the closet" and moved jobs because work was so **** for them. A documentary recently got made in the UK (called Landline) about depression and suicide amongst gay farmers and the amazing work of the gay farmer helpline.

At the event I spoke at, everyone was welcome - It was actually hosted at a straight couple's farm - and was attended by people representing the whole LGBT community as well as straight people of all generations. And it felt great because the purpose wasn't to say "we are special, we are better" it was to say "we are here, we are as good as you". Everyone was supportive and friendly. I spoke with a lesbian couple - one was British, the other American - who were trying to move back to the american's farm in North Carolina. The American had been shot at while she was gardening and the police did nothing. I honestly asked why they would bother moving somewhere people would do that. She just shrugged and said because it was home.

If you can organise an event that doesn't get hijacked by homophobes and welcomes people of all orientations whilst highlighting all the hardships straight people have to endure and justifying your existence then go for it. I'll bake you a cake saying I support heterosexual marriage.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82