New Razer Blade Stealth vs. Apple's MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2019.

1. gsurf123 macrumors member

So does just about every other PC, but they do not run OS X. Plenty of the can, but keeping it compatible by chasing down drives and patches is not my idea of fun.

2. fathergll macrumors 65816

I was going to say Apple is a known hardware company. Simple litmus test is the OS is free and used to sell the hardware.

3. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

By diverse, I mean product, service and even R&D range: Microsoft is a far more technical diverse ( and exciting ) company than Apple.

4. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

I guess it depends upon what you're excited about.

I can tell you this. Microsoft is in business to make money and they wish they could make $60B with their more diverse offerings. They just can't.

5. Sabelonada macrumors regular

Sabelonada

Embracing the 16x9 aspect ratio for laptops is nearly universal stupidity on the part of laptop makers. We work and read vertically.

6. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

All businesses are in business to make money.

Personally, I don't care about $60b in profits, I'm more excited about a healthy company and its product range.

Like I said previously, people always use Apple profits as a fallback, and you are doing just that - falling back to Apple's profits.

7. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Because the article was for headline hype only.

8. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

It does have a Linux environment, which is nice. But for what you're describing I just setup a remote system and do development on that. You can also use something like VirtualBox so your machine are portable acrosss devices if you move/upgrade.

It is slow, yes. I schedule my updates for the early morning, when I'm asleep. But as I mention below...

The key is to use the Pro edition. You can defer updates so you can keep working.

9. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

LOL!! Profits are why companies exist, so Apple is extremely healthy.

They just grew their active device base to 1.4B from 1.3B in 12 months and the non-iPhone business is the size of Google and growing at 19%.

10. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Some businesses run for years without making profits, and rely solely on handouts... er, I mean investors!

11. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

What does that red herring have to do with anything?

12. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

He got a bum motherboard then. My Ryzen 7 box performs flawlessly in Windows and has been up 24/7 since I built it back in November 2017. It reboots once a month for Windows updates and runs everything I can throw at it with great speed.

13. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Not actually a red herring, its factually correct.
    I was replying to your post! Do you suffer from short term memory loss?

14. BigBoy2018 macrumors 6502

BigBoy2018

Dedicated GPU? They already have thermal throttling on the bigger 15”, a DGPU in the 13 would be a disaster.

15. panjandrum, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

panjandrum macrumors regular

panjandrum

This. The last Apple laptop I actually purchased for myself was the 12" PowerBook G4! Why? Because if I'm spending my own $ on it then it has to be the product I want; a relatively small laptop with a dedicated GPU capable of reasonable gaming performance when I want to do so (and thus capable of cooling itself well, a real Apple failure point). Currently I'm happy with "my" 15", but then again it's not technically mine, so I didn't spend my own cash on it (and wouldn't have, even though it, luckily for me, predates the new craptastic models).

Now, with the horrible keyboard quality, elimination of necessary ports, laughable touch-bar, etc., it's very much looking like the next time I actually invest in a laptop for myself it will be something like this Razer. I do about 95% of my work remotely across several different MacPros (real ones) anyway, which I can do perfectly well from a Windows laptop, so I'm not locked-into MacOS for a laptop.

16. thebeans macrumors 6502

Yep. It is amazing how many times companies will have a good, well designed product and then make a glaring mistake like this. That tiny right shift key is an abomination and completely unnecessary. It's like designers can't keep from stepping on their own gonads.

17. jdiamond macrumors 6502

It's pretty important to know the state of price/performance for Windows laptops, just as it's important to know the state of Android phones vs iPhones. If they're good enough, it's worth considering as a Hackintosh option, or even (gasp) putting up with Linux or Windows and running OS-X in a VM. I much prefer OS-X but everyone's got their price: When there gets to be a 10x price/performance difference, well, let's face it - most of the time, you're interacting with Apps, not the OS. If no one ever jumps ship, then Apple has ZERO incentive to get any better. Just sayin...

18. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

If you are willing to ditch OSX, there are far superior machines, both spec wise, I/O, and build quality for much cheaper. To be honest MacOS is starting to show its age.

19. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors regular

Romeo_Nightfall

Just today I told my boss about the perfect machine back then!
    Haha, Apple really did a baaaaad job

20. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

Gaming laptops are primarily intended for use while plugged in. That's a significant difference versus a consumer or professional laptop. I'm not really sure what the point of the comparison is other than "you can pretend you got more bang for the buck despite not really being able to use it like a consumer or professional laptop".

21. lewdvig macrumors 65816

lewdvig

Superficial oranges to apples comparison. The IGP performance for the MBP is whack too, I'd be embarrassed to put my name on this if I were the OP/content creator (and yes, I wrote about 100 notebook reviews in a former life).

22. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Sort of. The GUI is always rendered to an integer scale factor, unlike on Windows. The result of that is then scaled depending on the device and resolution.

Since I wasn’t taking about that, I’m not “wrong”, but you have a point that I left this detail out.

23. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

This was a key factor in my moving away from macOS. I'm in a web browser 90% of the time so what does it matter what OS is running behind the scenes?

24. Stella, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Why can’t you use this razor as a consumer or indeed professional laptop?

At my past few places of employment were everyone was given laptops, Linux, windows or Macs, most had their laptops plugged in, so battery isn't an issue. I'm sure this is consistent with most work places. Running off battery life often degrades performance, another reason not to if possible.

Indeed, I would only get a few hours battery life out of my work 2016/7 MacBook Pro since the applications I need to run eat battery life.

25. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Depending on what memory type Razer uses (and given the product description, the answer is likely LPDDR), it's probably only 16 GB (I don't believe Intel ever shipped a chipset that does LPDDR3 with more than that, nor does this CUP support LPDDR4). For some reason, Intel has for years now said "Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)" but doesn't actually specify the value for a particular memory type.

But yeah, definitely not 64 GB.