New Razer Blade Stealth vs. Apple's MacBooks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2019.

1. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

I agree with the posts stating that OSX is getting a little long in the tooth. I have an iMac as well as a HP Prodesk Win 10 pro and as far as I'm concerned Win 10 is very good and in my opinion looks very fresh / modern. I jump on the iMac and to me it's like going back 15 years.

2. lucaspttrsn macrumors newbie

lucaspttrsn

there’s only a like button on these articles..you should really add a dislike button because some of these articles are lazy, wrong, or just plain biased.

3. MicahL macrumors newbie

MicahL

You must be a sad little person.

I doubt "10+ year ownership of an apple computer" has been on any job listing, ever. In case you were looking forward to it, you also don't get any ribbons or awards for breaking the 10 year ownership barrier. Sorry.

4. Zdigital2015, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

Zdigital2015 macrumors 6502a

Once again, you are correct, the Razer Stealth 13 is using LPDDR3 - maxes at 16GB of DRAM. SOOOO much more advanced than Apple. /s

RazerBladeStealth13.png

5. foxDie00 macrumors newbie

Lots of people don't understand that the biggest justification for paying the Apple premium is macOS.

6. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

Looks nice, but if it doesn't run macOS it's a hard pass.

7. MacPoulet macrumors regular

MacPoulet

I did read the article, and thought their explanation was insufficient.

8. smirking, Feb 6, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

My apologies if you were sincere in not understanding why they made the comparison the way they did. I jumped to conclusions and assumed that you were posting in anger like so many people do here.

You're right. They weren't terribly clear on what the rationale was, but it seemed pretty obvious to me because I understood the makeup of the 13" MBP product lineup and instantly understood what they were getting at even though they didn't spell it out. A lot of people were probably similarly confused by what they did.

They actually did compare the Razer Stealth Blade to the 13" MBP. They said the Stealth Blade wins easily in part because the Blade has a dGPU and the 13" doesn't, but they also wanted to get a comparison of how both units fared with just the iGPU and with the dGPUs. Since the 13" has no dGPU, it's no possible to do that comparison with a 13" MBP, so they had to use a 15" instead and turn off the dGPU for the iGPU benchmark.

They were forthright in saying that it was not a level comparison because the 15" MBP had a size advantage, but it's not really an invalid comparison because with it's dGPU turned off, a 15" MBP is not much different from a 13" MBP in terms of performance on graphics tasks.

It wasn't done to make sure the Mac comes out on top. They were quite deferential to the Razer Blade Stealth.

9. BayouTiger macrumors 6502

BayouTiger

I’m talking about laptops specifically. I run both extensively and am very well versed on the features of both. Yes there are things that either does better than the other. For me the killer feature on MacOS is the search and Quicklook, the killer feature on Win10 is DirectAccess (when MS doesn’t break it with an update which happens a lot). Unfortunately DA is an Enterprise feature not geared to the masses.

The virtualization I am speaking of is the day to day desktop virtualization via Fusion (parallels as well, but Fusion is a better tool for business because of its commonality to Vmware’s Other products.) I use Workstation on PCs and run all my Servers (windows and Linux) via ESXi which is brilliant.

As a coincidence I left town today and accidentally left my MBP on my desk and had to pick up an emergency laptop and grabbed a Surface Laptop2 to try. It is a brilliant machine with one major flaw. Only one really usable port. I run some goofy software that requires an activation dongle and needs wired Ethernet. I never think twice about this on my MBP as I have 4 ports that can literally be anything depending on what dongle or cable I plug in. Haters cry about them, but I have a small pocket in my backpack that holds a couple USB-A, Ethernet, hdmi, TB3 to 2 and a couple specialized c cables, very little space or weight and I have absolutely no limits to connectivity. White surface I would need to carry the MS dock which is hardly practical. Not to mention that I can charge anything with my Universal charger in my bag.

10. MacPoulet macrumors regular

MacPoulet

Yeah, totally not posted in anger, I just wanted a stronger justification for the 15” comparison. All the images are of the 15” Pro, so it also gives the impression they spen more time in those comparisons.

Honestly, I would have liked a bit more insight into the prices as compared to the various MacBook Pro models. Essentially, is the Razer’s price in line with a 13” MacBook Pro?

Maybe comparing the 13” Pro to the Razer with integrated graphics would have been a better comparison.

11. fairuz macrumors 68000

fairuz

That just sounds like a pro video editor talking. Average users who use computers for work or school are impacted by the OS too. Plus integration with things like Facetime.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2019 ---
    But how about macOS? Yes, he got a bad mobo, but the other problems weren't related to that issue.

12. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Yeah. Makes sense for that form factor, but something to watch out for given the original assertion that "can be upgraded to 64 GB". No upgrading at all, and only a quarter of that.

13. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

I think it was just all around a very sloppily written article.

I looked a few things up and I was wrong about the performance of the 13" MBP being on par with the 15" MBP when isolating to just the iGPUs. The 13" MBP has an Intel Iris Plus 655 at its highest configuration whereas the 15" has an Iris UHD 630.

The UHD 630 sounds impressive, but it's actually less capable than the Iris Plus 655 and this makes sense given that they expect you to be using the dGPU on the 15" most of the time.

So from a product comparison, this completely fails in multple ways.

14. Falhófnir macrumors 68030

Falhófnir

Poor comparison - the Stealth isn't meant to be a powerhouse machine (it's basically their take on an ultrabook!) the full 15" blade can have up to 64GB. The stealth sits between the 13 and 15 inch pros in power, while the 15" blade is miles more powerful than any mobile computer Apple offers, with RTX 2070 graphics (indeed I spy a 2080 in one configuration!) and as mentioned supports up to 64GB of RAM. I would say the 15" blade would be a better comparison to the 15" pro but, really, it still wouldn't! :p

15. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

Didn't mean to single you out...I know Hackintoshing...I've done it before. I just meant to post something for the other folks who think its too challenging and that it usually (at least with a laptop) results in some aspect being non or partially functional. For non-power users, the VM solution is quite feasible...given modern CPUs and 16 GBs of RAM the experience is not painful.

16. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

Apple doesn't support macOS on anything but Apple hardware so there will always be issues with Hackintoshes, Intel or not.

17. BaccaBossMC macrumors regular

BaccaBossMC

Fair point about the VM being an easier environment to create. Laptops can be quite tricky to get right. Crap, my desktop Hackintosh's 3.5mm jack doesn't work, and I have the proper .kext made for the audio chipset installed. For users that don't require any raw power, yes, VMs would be fine.

18. iMaculate macrumors newbie

iMaculate

Windows 10 is literally the only thing stopping me from going to a non-apple machine.

19. MacPoulet macrumors regular

MacPoulet

Yeah totally agree about the article. Interesting find on the UHD 630. I would have just assumed the 15" Pro would have a beefier, well, everything.

20. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

groove-agent

At least they don't malfunction from dust particles. Just saying.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    I don't understand why they didn't compare the MBP vs a 15" Razer laptop. Do they not know they exist?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    I hackintoshed a Dell XPS and honestly, it's not worth the time and hassle. I spent more time tweaking things than actually doing real work. Heaven forbid you brick your icloud account if you don't take the necessary precautions. It was a fun experiment, but I ended up buying a 2015 MBP and haven't looked back. I just want things to work as they should and not have to fart around with it all the time.

21. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

Fair.

22. MacBergin macrumors regular

MacBergin

Another lazy review. How about you try and write a conclusion. Clearly this is another self made blogger that never went to college. Next.

23. Plett macrumors regular

Plett

This is exactly how I see it. the OS is the key here at least for me. I like Windows just fine, use it for work and it is fine, but from my personal work and pleasure I prefer Mac OS. So hard to compare apples to apples pun intended.

24. ocnitsa macrumors 6502

It's definitely meant for someone who enjoys the process of trying.

That said, I was referring to running Mac OS in a virtual machine, which is quite easier and different. It wasn't a hassle when I did it, didn't take long, and everything worked as it should right out of the box. It's not a solution for everyone...but for those of us with basic computer proficiency, who aren't power users, and who cannot risk gambling on a keyboard that could require the system to be away at repair for sometime, it makes the argument that many are making here "But, this doesn't run Mac OS!" moot.

25. okeribok macrumors newbie

The Razer has the headphone port on the CORRECT side. What is Apple thinking moving it to the right? All wired headphones are wired to the LEFT! Just another step backwards (charger no longer winds cord, no more LED charge indicator, bigger charger, less flexible chord, to name some other design downgrades)