New Report Delves Into Poor Working Conditions at an Apple Maps 'Black Site'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:59 AM.

1. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

TheWatchfulOne

Wow, I imagine that puts them at risk of completing their exercise ring? Since Apple Park is nearby, according to the article, I wonder what would happen if they just asked their ride to pick them up from in front of the high profile Apple Park campus? (Instead of the nondescript looking Apex building?) ;)

2. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Oh hush, you young people these days are so soft. In MY day we did not even have restrooms. The men peed on trees and the women peed in holes we dug next to the trees. In the snow. Up a five mile hill.

Now get off my lawn and watch for the little holes in it on your way out!

(Actually the truth of many jobs is you’re expected to hold it until the point of desperation. I did have a few jobs like that and apparently that’s life at some Amazon warehouses these days).

3. maverick28 macrumors regular

Not surprisingly why Apple Maps lags behind. Now we know the reason.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM ---
    "Eventually, many remaining employees left Apex permanently and moved onto contract work at other companies that had better benefits for these workers, including Facebook and Google." - not that it would demand too much just to read the article.

4. sirozha macrumors 6502a

Not 50%, but definitely 25%

5. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Again, the amount of jobs with decent conditions/compensations is steadily declining. You may try jumping from work to work but it's just a matter of time when the good jobs are all gone. So you have no chance to win in a long run. It may take the rebirth of another USSR to force the capitalists to treat the working class decently.

6. sirozha, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:53 AM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:04 PM

sirozha macrumors 6502a

Google Maps is not better everywhere. I travel to Quebec every year for about six weeks. Apple Maps beats Google Maps in Quebec, especially in rural areas hands down. Apple Maps is sooo much more accurate there than Google Maps. I would never have thought it's possible based on my experience in the US, where Google Maps beats Apple Maps by a large margin anywhere I go.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:59 AM ---
    I walked out of a very lucrative contract with a very short commute a few months ago because the amazing management I'd had was suddenly replaced with a set of complete jerks who couldn't run their business without micromanaging engineers and making engineers account for every minute of their life instead of letting engineers concentrate on the multi-million dollar projects they were hired to design, architect, and implement. I got so frustrated with the management's attitude that I simply walked away one day and called the manager to tell him that I'd had it. From what I hear, the company is trying to hire someone to replace me and can't find anyone who would qualify. The company had decided to re-organize and outsourced most of the IT support to India. Because of the abusive policies that they introduced, many high-end engineers like myself left within weeks of one another. The abusive management style has come back to bite them in the rear end. It's a very large corporation with a very well known brand.

Several times now I have waited for too long before I decided to leave a project. My advice to anyone would be to pay attention to what's happening around you and once things start to get sour, leave before you get to the point of extreme frustration, which is bad for one's health and general wellbeing.

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Doesn’t a house fall under the open and obvious area of things? Couldn’t any person in the world be able to see the outside of your house if they wanted? I suppose a gated community might be different though.

8. sirozha macrumors 6502a

Where do you live?

9. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

You can't punish someone for taking too long of a break and then not have the means for them to take a break in a timely manner.

You sound like the kind of person that tortures kittens for fun.

10. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Are Apple safety nets installed at this location? Should be standard at all affiliate sites.

11. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

I live in the real world. Life isn't all rainbows and sunshine...and you don't have to torture anything to realize that.

12. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Tulips, wooden shoes, windmills.

13. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Labor unions came into existence at least partially for safe working conditions, to make companies accountable for death and dismemberment.

To compare this to people not having ready access to snacks?

Want food. Bring it. No one is stopping you. All secure places have limited access. It's for security lol. It's not a bad working condition.

Work is not playtime.

14. GordonGekko999 macrumors 6502

If they want to drive or walk by, certainly. But I don't want to be included in the billionaire corporation's street view maps.

15. rockarollr macrumors regular

rockarollr

Do you mean like the alternatives? Google Maps, Waze and etcetera?

16. mikethemartian macrumors regular

The irony is in the early 20th century workers were forced to purchase goods from the company store which overcharged because they didn’t often have the means to get to the nearest town to go to the general store. As the song Sixteen Tons tells the workers would just get deeper in debt.

The vending machines not getting filled are a loss of income to the vending machine company.

17. cmaier macrumors G4

Their beef should be with Apex. The company that actually is responsible for the vending machines and toilets.

18. mikethemartian macrumors regular

Is that the land where an ingenious young boy saved the country by placing his finger in a dam and parlayed his new found popularity into a successful house paint company?

19. cmaier macrumors G4

THis isn’t apple’s premises, is it? Isn’t it Apex’s?

20. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

I mean apple is paying a very low price by outsourcing this work. As a consequence the work done is of poor quality and it shows in the end product.

21. sirozha macrumors 6502a

Well, I hope you get a Nike store there at one point. Delivering all those tulips to the wind mills while wearing wooden shoes for so many centuries is painful.

22. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Spilled my *Heineken, I am in tears, can't stop laughing.

*Actually I lied, it's a Grolsch

23. curtvaughan macrumors 6502a

curtvaughan

Which is why the "unpleasantness" will continue - individual employees have no real power compared to the employer. This is one thing labor unions were invented to fix. Those "someones who will" were called scabs. Now they're just like any other working stiff willing to settle for being treated like crap at work. Conditions for workers in the U.S., including pay, benefits, and decent working conditions, were never better than in the 50's and 60's, when labor unions were strong. It produced a thriving middle class. Contractors have come about with the advent of U.S. corporations outsourcing to the cheapest labor markets. This made cities like Detroit in the so-called "rust belt" the rusty relics of what they once were. It really does no good to argue about this with anyone who wasn't around prior to the 1980s, when labor unions began to be busted when Reagan came on board. Younger folks have no memories of conditions other than what they are today in the corporate/employer world. The first to be affected were the blue collar workers, and the downward trend has progressed into white collar land, including what were once considered high paying jobs in high technology and software production. It has even seeped into academia, with the replacement of tenured faculty with underpaid adjuncts on contract.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:30 PM ---
    Yes, but they are under contract by Apple. Apple chose to outsource to Apex, likely knowing full well how they treat and pay their employees. Same goes for places in China like Foxconn, where conditions are so bad that employees have at times become suicidal.

24. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

The funny thing is... my dutch friends have only heard this story from Americans.

25. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

That seems like a job that could be subcontracted to a lower cost city. From what I understand, Google processes the Streetview imagery in India. Why not process Apple Maps changes in a relatively low cost, mid-sized city in the USA?