New Samsung Galaxy Ad Makes Fun of iPhone X's Notch, Lack of Stylus Support, Dongles, and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 5, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Samsung today posted a new video on its YouTube channel called "Samsung Galaxy: Growing Up," which follows the life of a young man as he purchases Apple devices over the course of ten years, and then decides to switch sides to Samsung on the eve of the iPhone X launch. The 1-minute commercial features the song "I'm Moving On" by Chyvonne Scott.

The video begins at the iPhone launch in 2007, and subsequent years show the main character facing storage issues when taking a photo and waiting in long lines under poor weather conditions for the latest iPhone. At one point, he drops his iPhone in water and has to place it in a bowl of rice, while his girlfriend's Samsung device continues to function.

Other points made in the ad center around the iPhone's lack of stylus support, as well as its need for dongles after the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack in the iPhone 7. The ad ends with the character's decision to turn off his iPhone and purchase a Samsung Galaxy smartphone, and he eventually walks past a line of people waiting for the iPhone X -- including a guy with a notch-like haircut -- without joining them.

The latest Samsung smartphone is the Galaxy Note 8, which launched in September with dual rear cameras, a 6.3-inch AMOLED 'Infinity Display', and a new and enhanced S Pen with improved pressure sensitivity. Many publications favorably reviewed the Note 8 prior to its launch, agreeing that the lack of an explosive battery made Samsung's newest device a step up from the Note 7.

Article Link: New Samsung Galaxy Ad Makes Fun of iPhone X's Notch, Lack of Stylus Support, Dongles, and More

2. farewelwilliams, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

can someone explain how writing down a contact is much better than typing it in?

- you need two hands
    - you need a stylus
    - looks wildly uncomfortable to write without some palm rest
    - unless there's some "google magic" going on, you can't search for that contact (EDIT: yes i know OCR exists, but you need to take extra steps to file it as a contact instead of saving as a note)
    - looks unorganized
    - much slower to write vs typing
    [​IMG]

3. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

Getting excited for Apple to respond with an ad showing a Note 7 exploding...

4. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

5. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

Yeah, cus that's topical

6. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Well they have a point I guess, although the majority of users probably couldn’t care less about a stylus.

7. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Nice ad, but its also free advertising for Apple, right? Right?!

8. TrueBlou, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Let the flame wars begin, this should be fun :D

*Edit*

Just realised something, the flame wars bit wasn’t actually a reference to exploding phones, y’know just in case someone misinterprets it :p

9. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Say what you want, but that was an awesome commercial. Tastefully done. I considered buying a Note 8 this year, matter of fact.

The rice thing was so relatable.

edit -- Absolutely no reason to try and defend Apple or Samsung here, fellas. Let's just appreciate tech (and good marketing). :)

10. Andy-V macrumors 6502

Wow that was... direct. It features the iPhone so prominently that I'd honestly say it advertises it. Yes, they're trying to put it in a negative light, but I genuinely think this will sell more iPhones than hurt sales.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

This ad showcased the iPhone more than anything, made me feel a little nostalgic about my old iPhones... don’t think that’s what they were going for

12. insane08 macrumors member

Yup, no publicity is bad publicity....except when your phone is half mobile half explosive.

13. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I do like my Pencil (apparently not a stylus :D) for my iPad Pro, but I’ve never been particularly fond of them on a phone. Last one I had was my Note 4 and I honestly never used the stylus. Guess I’m just a typer by nature.

14. brock2621, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017

brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Well done ad. Although I can’t believe Samsung spends so much money making fun of and insulting potential customers it then asks to switch.

15. otrfan84128 macrumors newbie

You'd think companies would have learned by now that ridiculing the competition is not a winning strategy. As an iPhone user, why would I want to switch to a product from a company that has basically told me I'm an idiot for not buying their product I the first place? Nobody ever wins a debate by insulting a competitor. If anything, ads like this make Samsung look as though they are desperately trying to hang onto their existing base rather than expanding it. If they feel their product is superior, as I would expect them to, they should tout its superior features, not try to make people who didn't buy it feel stupid for not doing so. Apple got away with "I'm a Mac ... I'm a PC" because it was genuinely funny, but I'd bet they found that after a while, even that campaign became counterproductive. To win in the marketplace you need a truly superior product and good marketing that PERSUADES, not ridicules.

16. Mescagnus macrumors regular

Samsung is good for three things: iPhone components, competition and comedy. I wonder when will they realize that the joke's on them?

17. hamiltonrwatch, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2017

hamiltonrwatch macrumors regular

hamiltonrwatch

Samsung would **** their pants if they ever launched a phone that generated cash flow like the 8, 8+, and X have.:D

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Samsung can post whatever they want for Videos or indicate something subliminally about Apple. But it doesn't change the views For those who are truly passionate about the iPhone or Apple. But Apple keeps it classy, which I find that respectable.

19. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

it would have been a cool ad up to Thursday, but it honestly looks a bit stupid post iPhone X launch.

Basically everybody is aknowledging the X as being the best, most innovative phone on the market. There’s not much Samsung can do around the fact that FaceID is a technological breakthrough that they simply do not have.

20. Zanton68 macrumors member

I like this ad. I think there are a lot of great phones out there to choose from and I think some of the Galaxy phones look amazing, and I’m very happy to stick with my iPhone 8 Plus, and I’m happy for others to choose Samsung.

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Maybe Apple could follow up with their own joke showing the entire phone is pressure sensitive and doesn't need a pen with Wacom technology to sense it.

I understand the humor intended, but Samsung ads have never attracted me to their products. Their features, design, and functionality speak for themselves. Happy Apple has (mostly) moved away from making fun of competitors.

Though to be fair, I still love the old G4 Processor Toasting Pentiums from back in the day. How times changed for Intel though ;) .

Really not sure either. I either Air Drop to other iOS devices, or, SMS the contact via Text to Android users.

22. DNichter macrumors 601

DNichter

Haha Samsung wishes they had a flagship that sells like the iPhone

23. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The technology to write down a contact convert it into a regular contact and search for it has been around since the Palm Pilot

24. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

O please , this commercial and the ‘plot’ is more make believe and fantasy on Samsung’s part than based in any sort of ‘reality’.

25. Quu, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Pretty good ad I thought, really shows a lot of areas where Apple were a step behind. Things like water proofing, MicroSD expandable storage, larger display sizes etc - These are not areas where Apple came in later and did it better, they just came in late.

EDIT:// A lot of you guys are replying to this message saying I'm misinformed, hypnotised by Samsung marketing or some other thing like that. If you're going to reply like that, don't bother, its already been done.

I'm an iPhone user, you can see that by my signature. But I'm no Apple fanboy. Samsung, HTC and Google have been first to have many features that Apple is late on.

Things they were late to adding: Larger Screens, Water Proofing, Dual Front Facing Speakers, OLED, Edge to Edge displays, Wireless Charging, NFC Payments, Open NFC Framework for Developers to use, dual back cameras with different focal lengths, fast charging over USB (Apple still doesn't include a fast charger in the box like Android phone makers do).

Things we're still waiting for them to catch up on: Dual-output Bluetooth, Multiple Apps on screen at once with a divider (on iPhone not iPad), FLAC support in the music app, Expandable MicroSD Storage support for Media files, Side-loading applications for individuals and not just businesses, support for the Apple Pencil, auto-connecting to Bluetooth speakers via NFC tapping, USB-C on the phone instead of Lightning.

And there is a lot more stuff I'm sure, these are just some of the things I can remember. I've been an iPhone user since 2009 with the iPhone 3GS, I've never owned an Android device but I'm no sheep, we often have to wait years before we get the features Android has had and not all of them are implemented better on the iPhone, only some of them are.