Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's revamped version of Siri is unlikely to be available with the initial rollout of Apple Intelligence later this year, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Apple-Intelligence-General-Feature.jpg

In his latest "Power On" newsletter, Gurman wrote that the full new version of Siri should arrive with iOS 18.4 in the spring of 2025, preceded by a beta testing period that is due to start in January. The more capable version of Siri allows the voice assistant to control actions within Apps, allowing it to understand what is currently on-screen and determine what to do based on context.

Apple Intelligence launches in the fall. While the entire new version of Siri will not be available at this time, other Siri features, such as a new design and ChatGPT integration, should be present upon the debut of Apple Intelligence this year.

Earlier today, Gurman explained that both the Apple Watch Series 10 and Apple Watch Ultra 3 will feature a new processor that succeeds last year's S9 chip. While this could "lay the groundwork for some AI enhancements down the road," it will not run Apple Intelligence and there are currently said to be no plans to bring "the full initiative" to the Apple Watch.

Gurman has previously reported that Apple Intelligence will come to the Vision Pro headset next year. The HomePod, on the other hand, is not slated to get the new suite of features, with the company holding off for a new "AI-powered table-top robot."

Article Link: New Siri Experience With Apple Intelligence Likely to Debut in Spring 2025

Reactions: SFjohn

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
I wonder what the competition is able to do once Apple comes out with their first beta software.

It’s time to fire Timmy and have a real tech innovator at the top. Someone who’s passionate for Apple, has a vision and is willing to sacrifice some of those exorbitant large profits into R&D instead of investors.

Let Apple deserve the name premium again by offering real premium products! With enough RAM, battery life and state of the art tech inside. No more “Pro” in the name… let the products speak for themselves so I doesn’t have to defend me to friends why I’m using Apple.

I was once a proud Apple owner. Those days are from the past. Thanks Timmy 😡

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
I think they might have overcooked this one (pun intended).

AI is dying rapidly. Investors are pulling out because the promised gains aren’t materialising and the costs are not something we can engineer our way out of trivially as the promoters promised.

It’s another blockchain.

Market collapse by EOY is my bet. Then they will scale this down to improved Siri and some text review stuff and that’s it.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
iOS development back in the day:

“Yeah? These cool features. Available day one, maybe it’ll come in the .1 update but shouldn’t be long”

iOS development now:

“Yeah look at all these cool things. It’ll be ready by next year….maybe. Maybe we’ll push it to the next major update who knows!”
And sometimes you paid the price. Maps and MobileMe for example.

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
I don't give a rat's ass about "AI" features. The only reason this bothers me is the obvious market gamesmanship it implies - like so many other announcements from Apple and fellow "Big Tech" companies.

Why make a big deal of announcing it at WWDC when it won't be ready for nearly a year? "Stock price go up."

Why leak this story on a weekend? "Stock price not go down."

"Stock price. Good. All hail stock price. Stock price. Stock price..."

Anyone with decent critical thinking faculties can see this.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
It’s time to fire Timmy and have a real tech innovator at the top. Someone who’s passionate for Apple, has a vision and is willing to sacrifice some of those exorbitant large profits into R&D instead of investors.
Just one problem. The board and shareholders won’t sacrifice the profits - they’ll can anyone who tries to do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.