Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graphikos

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Wii owners?
Wii? From 2006? While true a more up-to-date example is the Switch JoyCon. It would have cost Apple like $0.40 to add an accelerometer so I don't think it was omitted because of cost. U1 chip omitted because of cost? Maybe, but I also doubt it. Even the aforementioned JoyCon "only" costs $40 which has far more technical functionality than the $60 remote. It's all just Apple being Apple.

Chiromac81

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2018
Ontario Canada
I assume that there wasn't much use of the accelerometer/gyroscope outside gaming so they thought it wasn't worth the extra cost.

Still, a shame that they removed that as it locks you out of games that were designed to work with the base TV without an additional gamepad. And they are really pushing Apple Arcade.
BOWLING!

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Still can’t believe they didn’t put a freaking airtag inside it.

Yes, the Gen 1 remote is tiny and thin and easy to lose between couch cushions, but I don't need my iPhone to find it. That's just tech overkill.

The Gen 2 remote (which brings back the awesome all-aluminum shell!) is bigger and less likely to get lost, so you can't apply the same thinking to it.

Are people walking out of the room with their TV remotes enough for them to get lost? Seems puzzling to me.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
Whoa...didn't know the current remote had a gyroscope and accelerometer inside.

Still, guess I need to muster up some faux outrage and stomp my feet. Thanks a lot, Apple. :( TC needs to go.
Yep. Whenever you pick up the remote after the ATV Home Screen dims, it wakes the screen up.

Honestly, I had no idea it was actually designed that way for gaming.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Macintosh IIvx

Suspended
Mar 19, 2021
Doesn't seem a big deal. Most people complained the remote sucked for gaming anyways. You can get a decent Bluetooth controller for $20 if that's what you wanna do with your Apple TV.

I'm sure Apple looked at just how many game on the Apple TV when making the decision. It's a very very small percentage.

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
Wii owners?
Phillips cdi owners also play games with a TV remote.

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault_019.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

Even comes with an enclosed instruction booklet.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I’m struggling a bit to understand the need for the U1 chip... but maybe my sofa is smaller than the average ?

I’m guessing it’s only a matter of time before a third-party manufacturer comes up with a case that will accommodate an Airtag.

• Haha
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

Macintosh IIvx

Suspended
Mar 19, 2021
Not really, whilst CPU performance got a slight increase, the GPU is slightly weaker. So overall, meh.
Wat? The A12 Bionic beats the older A10X by about an average of 30% in nearly every GPU performance test.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
With controller support it's either coz they want you to use your consoles controller or maybe they'll start selling 3rd party controllers, or make their own.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
I guess they gave up on the idea of making it Wii like.

It's really too bad---I had such high hopes for the A-whatever version released in 2015.

Could have been a great little gaming machine with motion and gestures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.