Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Wii? From 2006? While true a more up-to-date example is the Switch JoyCon. It would have cost Apple like $0.40 to add an accelerometer so I don't think it was omitted because of cost. U1 chip omitted because of cost? Maybe, but I also doubt it. Even the aforementioned JoyCon "only" costs $40 which has far more technical functionality than the $60 remote. It's all just Apple being Apple.

*sigh*

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Wii? From 2006? While true a more up-to-date example is the Switch JoyCon. It would have cost Apple like $0.40 to add an accelerometer so I don't think it was omitted because of cost. U1 chip omitted because of cost? Maybe, but I also doubt it. Even the aforementioned JoyCon "only" costs $40 which has far more technical functionality than the $60 remote. It's all just Apple being Apple.

*sigh*

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Anyone who’s serious about gaming on the Apple TV doesn’t use a Siri remote anyway

I had to buy a new one because I think we threw that POS out shortly after we bought the 4k ATV. It was such a horribly thought out and executed remote control. I was using the app, but there are some things, apparently, that can't be done with the app? I ended up needing a remote. Had one that fell on the floor, the top shattered. Yeah, it's glass, and not very durable.

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
Two curious things about this remote:
1. No microphone icon on the top to accidentaly press and activate Siri. Win.
2. No menu icon. Is the back arrow the new menu? that would make sense instead of repeatedly tapping the menu button to get to the menu.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Apple TV: $179
AirTag: $29
Hermes Apple Remote + AirTag Combo Leather Case: $949

I nnoticed the Hermes Tag goodies. Is Apple sniffing too much of that air at 45,000 feet lately? The Mac Pro costs twice as much as my first house. A luggage tag Tag holder costs a weeks worth of Starbucks. Good grief. Apple is pricing themselves out of any market...

EDIT: And my thin 'butterfly' keyboard is CRAP...

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
What I really want is a solid 4K Apple TV for about $100-$120. I love the Apple TV experience, but it’s hard to justify at the current price point. I don’t care about gaming or anything else, just a good Apple streaming experience. The new remote looks just fine. While I appreciate the quality upgrade of Apple TV, other streaming devices are of a sufficient quality for much less, and they’re getting better with every iteration.

Reactions: decypher44

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
What I really want is a solid 4K Apple TV for about $100-$120. I love the Apple TV experience, but it’s hard to justify at the current price point. I don’t care about gaming or anything else, just a good Apple streaming experience. The new remote looks just fine. While I appreciate the quality upgrade of Apple TV, other streaming devices are of a sufficient quality for much less, and they’re getting better with every iteration.

I really like the ATV too, but it caches a lot, and some of the apps seize, and so much I see requires a separate subscription, I'm wondering how long it will be a thing in this house.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I think that this is a hint of a greater focus on games, not less. The remote is no longer the expected gaming controller. My guess is the other shoe has yet to drop: an Apple designed gaming controller sold separately later in the fall.

This new Apple TV is pretty power packed. Arcade games are going to run fantastic on this, including future games that will no longer have the slow 4 year old Apple TV holding them back. Arcade games must run on iOS, iPadOS and tvOS and the old Apple TV was the bottleneck.
Honestly one of the very first things I noticed when I first saw the new remote was “well how are you going to game on this now? What about all the Apple Arcade games that are casual enough to play with the remote turned sideways?”

I thought this was for sure a step backwards especially when they were rumored to be releasing a gaming-focused Apple TV, but then I read your post and that makes sense that they would still have one in the pipeline that’s more powerful. I just hope that game studios and developers actually get on board and release the AAA games on it. Otherwise it can’t be a “gaming” Apple TV.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I think the Apple TV HD is the one for you then. Sure it’s not 4K, but other than that everything on the inside is still miles ahead of every other streaming box.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I assume that there wasn't much use of the accelerometer/gyroscope outside gaming so they thought it wasn't worth the extra cost.

Still, a shame that they removed that as it locks you out of games that were designed to work with the base TV without an additional gamepad. And they are really pushing Apple Arcade.
Most, if not everyone of them, work better with game controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamPro

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Of course!

Every Apple device has a big flaw, so we have to buy the entire Apple Eco System to have the full experience. This is intentional.
? First people complained about using the remote for game. Now they complain about a big flaw when that's gone. Make up your minds folks!

Whoa...didn't know the current remote had a gyroscope and accelerometer inside.

Still, guess I need to muster up some faux outrage and stomp my feet. Thanks a lot, Apple. TC needs to go.

Exactly!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It was maybe a nice to have, at best. But never factored into my Apple TV purchase.upgrade decisions.

I wish, instead, they included U1. The remote is without question, the Apple device for which I spend most time searching. #kids
I put a strip of bright yellow electrical tape across the bottom to make it at least slightly more visible in a darkened room. Also helps with orienting correctly since the bloody thing is perfectly symmetrical.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Does this Apple TV really have any reason worth buying over an original Apple TV 4K? To game I use Nvida Geforce over airplay to my TV and play real games with an xbox controller from my Mac... as for tv I dont think this does anything new... it's actually losing features... thread is cool but I can use my HomePod mini for that. so...meh... was expecting much more

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Maybe Apple just realized that they‘re (too) late for the gaming party and can’t really compete with dedicated platforms like PlayStation or XBox. Then it would be a logical move to remove cost drivers that play a negligible role for the major part of the target audience for AppleTV.

People inclined to play on an AppleTV for whatever reason are also very likely preferring to use a dedicated gaming controller for that. And since this is possible without problems, most people wouldn’t need those gaming-centric functionality in the remote in the first place.
They could allow PS Now streaming and whatever Xbox does.

Heelpir8

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2019
Does this Apple TV really have any reason worth buying over an original Apple TV 4K? To game I use Nvida Geforce over airplay to my TV and play real games with an xbox controller from my Mac... as for tv I dont think this does anything new... it's actually losing features... thread is cool but I can use my HomePod mini for that. so...meh... was expecting much more
Wouldn’t be enough reason for me as I don’t have a 120Hz TV and would only be going from an A10X to an A12 processor. Would definitely upgrade to the new remote for $59.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
This new Apple TV is pretty power packed. Arcade games are going to run fantastic on this, including future games that will no longer have the slow 4 year old Apple TV holding them back. Arcade games must run on iOS, iPadOS and tvOS and the old Apple TV was the bottleneck.

Except all the games still need to support the oldest hardware still supported by Apple... including the 4th gen Apple TV and the iPhone 6s and SE.

AFAIK devs can’t say a game isn’t supported (or block it) on a device if the iOS version (for example) on it is still current. The only exception would be if hardware didn’t exist previously. Like AR apps.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Maybe Apple just realized that they‘re (too) late for the gaming party and can’t really compete with dedicated platforms like PlayStation or XBox. Then it would be a logical move to remove cost drivers that play a negligible role for the major part of the target audience for AppleTV.

People inclined to play on an AppleTV for whatever reason are also very likely preferring to use a dedicated gaming controller for that. And since this is possible without problems, most people wouldn’t need those gaming-centric functionality in the remote in the first place.
I don't think they are too late but in my opinion they are too narrowly focused on cartoonish, kids games. I have Apple Arcade because it is free with my Apple One subscription but I RARELY use it. If the rumors are true about Apple doing massive investments for console type games, I think they could be a real player in gaming (no pun intended).

Reactions: Baron Thompson

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
$59 dollar remote that doesn't have much, doesn't even have an integrated AirTag.

It could be considered a $40 remote that Apple forces you to buy with the $19 Lightning cable. If there was an instance where un-bundling would be welcome…

A comparable first-party rechargeable voice remote like Roku's Pro is $30.

Not having to curse the sloppy, imprecise touch pad of the previous Siri remote -- Priceless.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I don't blame them, support from game devs is abysmal on Apple TV. Minecraft on Apple TV was discontinued in 2018, and if you can't even get support for Minecraft, it's not much of a gaming device.

It's interesting too that the new 4K Apple TV says "Gameplay gets more realistic with A12 Bionic." but it's not able to run something that could use the power, and is overkill for status quo like Among Us.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
Well this clenches it for me I’m definitely gonna wait because there probably gonna drop another Apple TV that’s gaming focused that’s gonna include what people really wanted. LOL

Being a successful gaming platform isn't just about throwing down hardware. It takes real commitment and investment to make it work. Microsoft went all in, acquiring studios and courting AAA game devs. It's a large undertaking and I don't think Apple has the appetite for it, at least not now. They've dipped their toe in with the Apple Arcade, and I don't foresee them doing much more than having iOS devs push mobile games.

As far as this new Apple TV, definitely getting it. Just the integration of 2.1 alone makes it worth it for me. I am disappointed that it won't have spatial audio. I figured a refresh was happening and was anxious to try my Max's on it.

Reactions: George Dawes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.