Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Just got mine in earlier than expected. Very fast shipping! I'd have to say I completely agree with everything that was said in NovemberWhiskey's review. This is (almost) the perfect case. There's just one annoyance. ALL 3 BUTTONS RATTLE! Not too big of a deal, though. They should have used rubber buttons. Also, the lip is just a tad bit smaller than the Belkin Grip Candy's lip. There's practically no lip with my MIME Ghost Glass screen protector (0.4 mm).

Here's a thickness comparison between the Magpul Field, SPIGEN Neo Hybrid, and Belkin Grip Candy. It's hard to tell, but the Neo Hybrid is only a hair thinner than the Grip Candy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 379

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Well, I bought the case and received it today.
It doesn't fit with side and back protectors -.-

This is why I asked if it fit the brand that I said.

Did you try removing the two pieces, and putting the TPU/Silicone liner on first?

I use skins that cover the back, sides, and the chamfered edges. While it was a tight fit, it eventually fit and fits perfectly now.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Just some pics I took while waiting in line for something...

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 185

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
You can compare the color of the case with the volume rocker. Almost identical.

The pic with the reflection was my attempt at showing the thickness of the lip.

Sorry if the pics weren't high quality. They were taken with my GF's Note II.

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 150

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
I'm really hoping they release the TPU in some new colors as well as the frame. In there FAQ it does indeed say they are looking into additional colors, fingers crossed! :cool:

I'm still very much so enjoying this case!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I'm really hoping they release the TPU in some new colors as well as the frame. In there FAQ it does indeed say they are looking into additional colors, fingers crossed! :cool:

I'm still very much so enjoying this case!

Yeah. I would have like to see their soul black finish. However, I do have to say, that the matte finish of the Metal Slate is the nicest finish I have ever felt on a case. It's silky smooth, and doesn't pick up fingerprints/grease like the soul black neo hybrid ex I had.

I would love to see some bright neon colors too, just for fun.

Bamff

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
Thank You NovemberWhiskey for your detailed pics! That was my deciding factor on me purchasing it. I just got it today and I have to write it's THE best case I've gotten for my phone. I had other Spigen cases, most recent the Slim Armor Pre S, and it feels definitely half the size, at least. Spigen really got it right with this one.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I agree with everyone that this is the best case out at the moment!

But does anybody else's plasticky buttons rattle if you shake the phone? They seriously should have made them TPU and part of the TPU case.

Bamff

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013

But does anybody else's plasticky buttons rattle if you shake the phone? They seriously should have made them TPU and part of the TPU case.

Totally Agree. Still an excellent case.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

I also like to use my phone as a spare maraca.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Like others have already stated, I think this is a VERY good case! In fact, my search for the perfect case is now OVER I'm happy to say!

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
Just got mine in earlier than expected. Very fast shipping! I'd have to say I completely agree with everything that was said in NovemberWhiskey's review. This is (almost) the perfect case. There's just one annoyance. ALL 3 BUTTONS RATTLE!

.....I think this may be an SGP thing!!!

I have the SPIGEN SGP Neo Hybrid EX Slim Metal Series for my iPhone 5 (which is basically just a bumper which comes in 2 parts) and all 3 buttons on that also rattle. It kinda makes the case feel cheap when you have rattling buttons and I didn't bother using it (too much hassle & cost to send it back!).

DanyZaffa

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Hi everybody!! Mine arriving today, just perfect! Also my buttons rattle but not so much!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Does this one slip off the edges of phone easily like the Slim Armour S?

Nope. All edges are solid due to the design: the rigid plastic/polycarb shell holds everything down.

The lip does not wriggle around at all, nor does it slip off.

I accidentally dropped my phone at about arms height yesterday (I'm 6'2'') and the phone and case survived without any problems. It dropped face down.

At first there were a few white marks on the case where it hit the ground, but they wiped away. It could have been from whatever was on the ground.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
.....I think this may be an SGP thing!!!

I have the SPIGEN SGP Neo Hybrid EX Slim Metal Series for my iPhone 5 (which is basically just a bumper which comes in 2 parts) and all 3 buttons on that also rattle. It kinda makes the case feel cheap when you have rattling buttons and I didn't bother using it (too much hassle & cost to send it back!).

My buttons don't rattle on the EX Slim. How does silicone rubber actually rattle?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
My buttons don't rattle on the EX Slim. How does silicone rubber actually rattle?

I was wondering the same thing.

For the Neo Hybrid, there is a very very slight "rattle"; but I've never heard it during normal use. You'd have to really shake your phone like a maraca to have it bother you. I only get it when I tap on the buttons to purposely make that sound.

In my opinion, it is a non-issue.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
The buttons on the SPIGEN SGP Neo Hybrid EX Slim Metal Series are made from plastic, not silicone rubber (well at least on mine they are) so they do indeed rattle against the outer plastic bumper.

Dino F must be thinking of the Linear. The EX Slim is made from a silicone ring and a polycarbonate ring. No rattle. The buttons are part of the silicone.

Anyhow, this new case looks pretty nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.