Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mcthings

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
Does anyone else think the new text notification sounds are ridiculously long?

Drewsky87

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
MD
I would just say they're ridiculous in general, I feel like some oompa loompas should be coming out singing and dancing when I hear the new ones. But ya, some are pretty long for message notifications.

superspud

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
WAY too long.....

this is the main thing I miss about my blackberry... I just want a "chirp" or "blip" for my texts / mms's... not a long drawn out tune...

not happy at all.... wont ever use any of the new tones.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Here we go!

Another one, Jesus, when will they stop?

Live with it!

Why does it bother you so much that people are asking for additional features or refinements from IOS 4? If the consuming public hadn't complained about the operating system for the iPhone, I doubt that many of the features we now take for granted as part of the system that were not available in earlier iterations of it would be available.
And I DO agree with you, OP. Most of the new tones are ridiculously long for text alerts.

xyphr3

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
Stupidest tones I have ever heard. Apple has no clue what it is doing with ringtones and text tones, that's for sure.
+1. Seriously, they need to think about people that just want to be alerted that they have a txt message and not be embarrassed about it. If I left my phone on during a meeting and had one of the new sms txt tones, I would be laughed out of the meeting.

1-2 notes only.

felch

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2010
I dont mind longer SMS tones, but what I want is to be able to use my SMS tone instead of that annoying swish sound that it plays if you receive a text when your viewing a message.

It drives me nuts having to close out the msg client just to be able to hear when I get a new text.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I dont mind longer SMS tones, but what I want is to be able to use my SMS tone instead of that annoying swish sound that it plays if you receive a text when your viewing a message.

It drives me nuts having to close out the msg client just to be able to hear when I get a new text.

Yeah, that is annoying. There's no way to customise those sounds at all. You can't turn off the sound when you send a message either.

wrpspead

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
totally too long. they are completely useless to me, with the exception of the laughs we got at the station on the initial listen through... just a bit bummed.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Yep they are cringe-worthy. Not just way too long, but just terrible sounding.

Calypso is ok, ish. But apart from that, what a disappointment. Tri-tone it is still :rolleyes:

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
A few days ago a number of posters were complaining that Apple had not put various tones for messaging on the iPhone and how much better other phones were that had it, ta bla, ta bla.

Now your complaining that they are too long, don't sound the way you want etc, etc.

Can't be satisfied at all, huh?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
A few days ago a number of posters were complaining that Apple had not put various tones for messaging on the iPhone and how much better other phones were that had it, ta bla, ta bla.

Now your complaining that they are too long, don't sound the way you want etc, etc.

Can't be satisfied at all, huh?

A few days ago people were complaining that other phones had better sounds.
Today people are complaining that other phones have better sounds.

Geez, make up your mind, people! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.