New to mac. Torrents?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Deedz, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Deedz macrumors newbie

I just got my new 13-inch macbook pro and I'm wondering what torrent program to use. I'm use to using the bittorrent client. I would also like to know how safe torrents are on macs. Will it slow down my computer? How likely am I to get a virus? What precautions should I take etc.?
    Thanks. :apple:

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I like utorrent the best, although transmission is also good. And you should be pretty safe as far as torrents are concerned.

3. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I personally use uTorrent. It's small and fast. You don't have to worry about viruses on macs like you do on Windows machines. Don't worry about it.

But be prepared to get bombarded with "OMGZ torrenting is illegal, you can't talk about that crazy **** here. AAAAAHHHH!!!" comments that are sure to follow.

4. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

2nd for Transmission, it provides more information then uTorrent.

5. Deedz thread starter macrumors newbie

Great... just being real, I'm a broke ass college student who likes to mess around with programs. Not like I'm making money off of it.

Are they both pretty user friendly, not complex or anything?

6. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

I love Transmission. I've tried most other torrents but always come back to Transmission. It's small, fast, and hassle free.
    Like the other's have said. Viruses aren't an issue.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, both transmission and utorrent are user friendly and not too complex.

8. Deedz thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean transmission provides more information?

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it gives better updates of what is actually happening. seeders/update times/download speeds/available packets/etc.

i vote for transmission too - its more user friendly and performs better

10. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I'm voting for Vuze. Besides being awesome in the fact that its Java (yes, it does have overhead), it has all of the bells and whistles and then some. You can see pretty much everything, and you can set up and customize pretty much anything. It now also has devices, which is basically like Rivet, built in.

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

does uTorrent on Mac display the country flags of the seeds/leeches? I know on Windows it shows them.

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

baha. i hate Vuze. but i wont argue. you are smart :p

13. chill. macrumors 6502

transmission is what i like the most, when i used utorrent a while ago i was unable to mess around with individual files in a batch torrent, not sure if it's changed now

and common mistake, but bit torrent technology itself is not illegal, it's the distribution of copyrighted/licensed material that is illegal

the best way to protect against viruses is to use popular torrents and check the comments for anything suspicious

14. snakelda macrumors 6502

15. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

transmission is the best for me, without a doubt. If you want to mess around with software, there's a lot of open software for mac, just google it...

16. Deedz thread starter macrumors newbie

What do i put for the trackers in transmission? Bittorrent always just started the download on my pc.

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U don't put any tracker info. Just open up the torrent file and it starts downloading.

18. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

personally i use btaccel. Its a free unlimited bandwidth, high speed torrent box. But thats just my two cents. Its much more secure then torrenting yourself

19. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

20. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Transmission.

uTorrent is great too, both are very slim apps and I love that about them.

21. Baral macrumors member

I like utorrent better than Transmission.

A couple weeks ago utorrent hit a stable release (no longer beta) and it's better than ever.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I vote transmission. It's more feature packed than uTorrent, yet still simple and pretty.

23. colonelsanders macrumors member

I haven't used a torrent in a while but when i did I always also ran Peer Guardian at the same time. It's open source and blocks known snitching IP addresses from getting more info on you. I only started using this software after getting a mean letter from one of the many movie studios. I have since stopped my downloading but regardless of what torrent software you use please make sure you also protect yourself at the same time. Of course if your only downloading open source torrents this won't be an issue... however your posts suggest otherwise.

24. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Transmission is pretty, I'll give you that.

Vuze is not easy on the eyes, but it's fully configurable if you're up to it.

25. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I have been using uTorrent on windows for years but when I got my first Mac a few month ago I downloaded uTorrent for it but then I found Transmission and I like that better.

I also like how Transmission displays the download & upload speed in the dock with the icon.