New (to me) Apple display and speakers

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Ih8reno, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I just picked up an old Cinema Display and Apple Cube speakers. I tried connecting the display to my powermac g4 as it was the only comp I had which had the same display connector and it wouldn't power on. Also, the cube speakers seem to get power through the amplifier.

Questions are:

Is the display shot or does the powermac not have the capabilities to power a display like this?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

How can I use the cube speakers?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I had to search around a little about those Cube speakers. They get power, and audio, through the USB port. They are sold as working only with the USB port on the cube, which has more power than standard USB ports. You can also plug into the USB ports on certain Apple displays - those that are powered through an ADC connector.

There's some more info: http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-Power...63-06-2G-/141257465893?_trksid=p2054897.l5658

The cube speakers probably won't work on anything else, although you could probably cut off the amplifier and solder new RCA connectors. The same instructions for the standard Apple Pro speakers should work, I suppose.

I think you have to connect an ADB line to get the display to work (or at least change any settings) - but I might be wrong on that...

3. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Got them plugged into the back of my other Cinema Display and no sound. Does the amp have to be plugged in also?[​IMG]

----------

Solved! I had to change the output settings. Any idea about the screen?

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Try plugging them straight into the PMG4. If that doesn't work, try switching the output in Sys Prefs. I know the driver was in OS X through 10.6.3, which was Intel only, so in theory they should work with any PPC Mac running OS X (maybe even OS 9, but the driver may have only been in the Cube's version of OS 9).

If you ever want to sell them, let me know. Mine are trashed.

Also, that first display you pictured won't work. Your G4 looks to have VGA and ADC, those displays used the old DB-15 connector found on Old-World ROMed Macs (Beige G3s and earlier).

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Cube speakers will work with any Mac with a USB port that is running OS 9.0.4 through 10.9.2, with the exclusion of 10.6.3-10.6.8. When used with standard power USB ports, the Cube speakers will not work at their maximum designed volume. Macs that can drive them at their maximum volume include the G4 Cube, acrylic Studio displays, and most Intell Macs made after mid-2007.

The blue Studio display you posted a picture of is the middle model of that line that has a VGA port. Your G4 has a VGA port and with a working power supply for the Studio display, it'll work with it. The ADB port does not need to be connected for it to work. Make sure the video source is set to computer, not video in.

6. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I plugged it into the g4 vga port and nothing doing. Is it possibly it's just busted?

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There's an external power brick for that display - 24VDC, I think. Can you measure voltage on that power supply?
    It's possible that the video board in the display has given out. Be sure to try the display on other computers. It's a standard VGA connector, so should work on anything with a VGA output - doesn't need to be a Mac. (That's not to say that the video will be good, as there could be driver issues on a Windows system, but the screen should light up, and you should get _something_ generic/blocky on the screen.

Do you get ANY indication on the screen? Power light blinking or changing color?

8. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Found a powerbrick in the box I got it in but thought is was like the white apple cinema displays and didn't need it. got it working thanks!

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those old B&W Studio displays work well on any VGA computer, no drivers needed. They're rather dim and have a low resolution of 1024x768.

10. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

So far so good. The powerbrick is very damages but wires are hanging on. Screen is so cool and I'm glad I found these for sale![​IMG][​IMG]

Too bad I can't connect it to my g5 though

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Pardon me, but I'm digging on the Quicksilver there on the left!!! :D

12. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a particular jones for the G4 Quicksilver. It's really the only Mac desktop I like. IMO the best looking Mac Apple ever made.

Just my opinion though. Nice that you got this stuff working with it.

14. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Actually the speakers are connected to my g5 as I have a set of imac g4/powermac g4 speakers for this already. Just found the screen and speakers for sale and couldn't resist.

----------

The brick is shot but works. I can feel heat coming from it and it's buzzing. Hopefully I can find something to replace it.

15. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

That's the only Power Mac I need now! Although I have a Quicksilver in a old body style with the DA :D

16. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

733mhz so it's kinda slow compared to my 1.8dual g5 but has grown on me!

17. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Huh. I didn't know they made with one with a VGA port. Guess that would belong to the B&W G3?

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, that one was to go with the B&W G3. The older model had DB-15 and ADB. The third blue Studio display is the least common. It's more black than blue. It was updated to have DVI and USB instead of ADB. It had an integrated USB port that was where the RCA video input was on the previous two models.

19. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My QS is a dual 1.73Ghz via a Giga Designs processor upgrade. Pretty quick, he he! :D

21. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

I'm jealous of the speakers. It was a royal pain in the rear to find the ones I have now. Having a second set would be heaven, especially for the G5 I have an eye on for later in the year.

22. Ih8reno thread starter macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

my other set for my imac g4 seem to be louder but not a bad deal if I say so myself!

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I only have a dual 800 MHz model QuickSilver. By the way that MDD's Logic Board is toast, Erik.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That sucks man (the logicboard)!

Are you going to replace it?

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Probably not. It needs alot of work. I pulled the heatsink off and all I saw was burnt original paste. Okay that solves the freezing issue.

It wouldn't start with the door closed and half the RAM doesn't show up. Reseating the RAM every start fixes it but unless you close the door ever so slowly it cuts out. I think it is a ground problem in the PSU snake to the 24 pin connector on the Logic Board. For a single 1.25 MDD I don't deem ordering parts worth it, especially since my daily driver is a G5 and a MBP.