Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing to preview a new version of Siri with generative AI and a range of new capabilities at WWDC, according to a post on the Korean social media site Naver from a user with a track record for posting Apple rumors.

siri-symbol-iphone-feature.jpg

According to developer sources speaking to the operator of tech news aggregator account "yeux1122" on Naver, Apple has recently made progress with integrating generative AI into Siri using its Ajax-based model that Bloomberg's Mark Gurman first mentioned in July. The new version of Siri apparently touts natural conversation capabilities, as well as increased user personalization.

The new features are believed to be available across devices, suggesting that the new version of Siri will retain conversation information from one device to another. It is also said to feature a new "Apple-specific creational service," which might relate to the previously reported Siri-based Shortcuts capabilities rumored for iOS 18.

Apple is purportedly working on linkages for the new version of Siri to connect to various external services, likely via an API. Finally, the report suggests that some of Apple's new AI features may differ based on subscription service status, but it is unclear what shape this could take.

A recent forecast from Deepwater Asset Management similarly claimed that Apple will bring generative AI to Siri this year. The Naver blog account has a mixed track record for forecasting Apple's plans, but some of its claims have proven to be significant. For example, in March 2022 it accurately revealed some details about the third-generation iPhone SE ahead of Apple launching the model. In October of the same year it also accurately predicted that Apple would delay the release of new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models until early 2023.

Article Link: New Version of Siri With Generative AI Again Rumored for WWDC

Reactions: SFjohn

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Will this be limited to iPhone 16 pro? I’m about to jump on a 15 for free through my carrier but as soon as I do, I’ll find out this is limited to a phone I don’t have when I could have just kept my 14 for another year.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I do wonder how AI can (in the mid to long term) be reconciled with the ubiquitous call for more sustainability.
It’s not exactly a secret how much energy AI data centers are using. So especially from a company like Apple I would like to see some kind of statement on that. Or are we just going to pretend this is good and absolutely essential use of insane amounts of energy?

Microsoft were recently pushing “ads” on the Xbox Home Screen to encourage users to save energy - while the company itself is massively pushing their AI crap. Like my individual savings of energy could possibly make any difference with that background. But sure, I’ll unplug my Xbox when I’m not using it.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Not interested until it finally understands me in different languages depending on who I am talking / writing to. The keyboard is smart enough to look at multiple dictionaries, yet all Siri can do is „this message seems to be in a different language, do you still want me to proceed with gibberish“

• Haha
Reactions: JinxVi

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Makes sense, but language models could be slowly introduced in just certain types of queries. I imagine we will get the ability to ask about current events with Apple News+.

Reactions: heretiq

IllegitimateValor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2023
Finally, the report suggests that some of Apple's new AI features may differ based on subscription service status, but it is unclear what shape this could take.
I miss the value of owning a function in perpetuity. Yesterday the DICTIONARY didn’t have a word I needed to look up, but offered the souped up dictionary with that definition and more for a small yearly subscription fee.

Endless subscription services are a capitalistic evil we must escape. How can we kill this cancer?

Edit: Add to this the headache of being too poor to retain subscriptions, turning them off, and being stuck with ONLY the music I purchased pre-Apple Music despite years of money spent. The prices are too high for such a small amount going to artists.

Last edited:

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Not interested until it finally understands me in different languages depending on who I am talking / writing to. The keyboard is smart enough to look at multiple dictionaries, yet all Siri can do is „this message seems to be in a different language, do you still want me to proceed with gibberish“
This would be nice, yes. I speak mainly English but I don’t live in an English-speaking country. Asking about the weather conditions in any of the surrounding cities always gives me weather reports for US cities whose names sound vaguely similar.

Truben

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2022
First thing I did when I bought the iPhone 15 Pro was disconnect Siri. I'm not interested in AI at all... until the inventors of such a Frankenstein learn to be educated and respect the laws of intellectual property. Call me Boomer, but I'm a voice-over talent and don't like how the menacing horizon tries to make us so dull and stupid to not being able to appreciate and distinguish a real human voice from a synthetic one. Tech is OK as a tool but not as a loaded weapon inside my mouth.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Come on Apple!
Get it right this time.
Please.

Example:

A day or so before christmas I had to go to collect our Christmas bird at the butchers.
I asked Siri, what time I had to go and collect.

Butchers.jpeg

Oh honestly!
The clue, dear Siri Apple is in the address.

1704378007812.png

Siri fails completely at these contextual clues that I have to admit Alexa does exceptionally well.

I truly hope Apple get this sorted.

Right now I only use Siri to set timers.
What a waste.

florida man

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
Will this be limited to iPhone 16 pro? I’m about to jump on a 15 for free through my carrier but as soon as I do, I’ll find out this is limited to a phone I don’t have when I could have just kept my 14 for another year.
Probably. Won’t be the first time Apple restricts a new feature to the newest devices to entice upgrades, even if older hardware can do it.

Annoying, but that’s what it means to be a publicly traded company.

gatorvet96

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2016
I do wonder how AI can (in the mid to long term) be reconciled with the ubiquitous call for more sustainability.
It’s not exactly a secret how much energy AI data centers are using. So especially from a company like Apple I would like to see some kind of statement on that. Or are we just going to pretend this is good and absolutely essential use of insane amounts of energy?

Microsoft were recently pushing “ads” on the Xbox Home Screen to encourage users to save energy - while the company itself is massively pushing their AI crap. Like my individual savings of energy could possibly make any difference with that background. But sure, I’ll unplug my Xbox when I’m not using it.
I can't speak about other companies, but Apple data farms are mostly solar or use sustainable energy, with a goal to be 100%

florida man

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2021
First thing I did when I bought the iPhone 15 Pro was disconnect Siri. I'm not interested in AI at all... until the inventors of such a Frankenstein learn to be educated and respect the laws of intellectual property. Call me Boomer, but I'm a voice-over talent and don't like how the menacing horizon tries to make us so dull and stupid to not being able to appreciate and distinguish a real human voice from a synthetic one. Tech is OK as a tool but not as a loaded weapon inside my mouth.
99% of the people concerned about the differences between synthetic and real voices are the ones in the voice talent industry. Yes, it’s a real concern, but most people just don’t care that much.

When desktop publishing allowed anyone to create without hiring an artist, I’m sure artists were upset. Democratizing access to previously inaccessible services is one of the main benefits of technology in general.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Probably. Won’t be the first time Apple restricts a new feature to the newest devices to entice upgrades, even if older hardware can do it.

Annoying, but that’s what it means to be a publicly traded company.
And not doubt iOS18 will limit generative Siri to Apple apps and that "magically" open it up to developers in iOS19...

Reactions: raysfan81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.