Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
Reckon the Linsanitys' will go for the Champagne and the Starbucks' Baristas will go for the graphite...

Man, this is so fail, when did Apple stop innovating? oh, actually I remember when Steve passed.

Apple really are taking the p*ss these days.

Korea > USA

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
New iPhone under Steve: no innovation this sucks. Breaks records. New iPhone under Tim: no innovation this sucks. Breaks records.

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
  • Real customization features - Only needed because Android sucks
  • Widgets (see above) - Noise. You almost always have to drill into the real app. to get what you need (Calendar, Weather).
  • SBSettings-like feature out of the box - iOS7
  • SD slot - Would be nice but not worth the cost of dealing with Android
  • user-replaceable/upgradable battery ... - You watch movies on your phone! Wow.
  • USB host mode (I love that I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and actually use it much like a PC) - Ever heard of Bluetooth?
  • Compatibility with standardized devices, such as MHL 2.0 interfaces - ???
  • 1080p resolution - Ridiculous, also Pentile, also barely readable in daylight
  • 2 GB RAM - And yet it still lags. Badly.
  • "virtual" buttons in addition to home (like Android's Back and Menu buttons) - The back button is AWESOME. No disagreement there.
  • Better task management - Like constantly swiping apps closed and hitting the button on my third party RAM cleanup widget because ANDROID SUCKS?

Two flat whites please Barista, my name, em, Clown Boy.

----------

New iPhone under Steve: no innovation this sucks. Breaks records. New iPhone under Tim: no innovation this sucks. Breaks records.

It's called marketing and brand loyalty... iPhones still suck compared to Korean and Chinese tech.

lousada

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
  • Real customization features - Only needed because Android sucks
  • Widgets (see above) - Noise. You almost always have to drill into the real app. to get what you need (Calendar, Weather).
  • SBSettings-like feature out of the box - iOS7
  • SD slot - Would be nice but not worth the cost of dealing with Android
  • user-replaceable/upgradable battery ... - You watch movies on your phone! Wow.
  • USB host mode (I love that I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and actually use it much like a PC) - Ever heard of Bluetooth?
  • Compatibility with standardized devices, such as MHL 2.0 interfaces - ???
  • 1080p resolution - Ridiculous, also Pentile, also barely readable in daylight
  • 2 GB RAM - And yet it still lags. Badly.
  • "virtual" buttons in addition to home (like Android's Back and Menu buttons) - The back button is AWESOME. No disagreement there.
  • Better task management - Like constantly swiping apps closed and hitting the button on my third party RAM cleanup widget because ANDROID SUCKS?

I'd be happy with just a 5''+ 1080p screen, everything else i dont care for, but you sound really bitter or you've never really used android.

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'M DONE...Is time for me to buy an HTC ONE :)
So I'll see you guys next year, when the redesign iPhone 6 will be available with a 5" screen size.

This iPhone 5S is BS :mad:

lousada

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
I love the "i want the phone to fit in my pocket" argument against a bigger screen on the iPhone.
Even my Note2 with a big ass case fits easily in my pockets... and i use pretty tight pants!

Oh well... :rolleyes:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Right! And you know that exactly how Mr AppleScruff1?
You seem to have seen the iPhone 5s, tell us more about it please.

True, I only know what I've read. And there have been a plethora of articles about color and plastic here for several months now with minor leaks about a fingerprint sensor and a few other things. Perhaps Apple's security has really clamped down on tech leaks and all of this talk about plastic phones in many colors is intended as a distraction so that the real new features will be a surprise.

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
Why do I have a feeling that the gold and graphite may replace the black and white? Have there been any leaks of black and white 5S? All I’ve seen are gold and graphite.

Gold replaces white. Graphite replaces black. Good way to distinguish between the 5 and 5S.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I'm falling more and more in love with that white and 'champagne' option! I really hope these rumours turn out to be accurate. I guess there's too much proof for them NOT to be.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Apple have several choices if they want to make a larger iPhone (and it's by no means certain that they want to).

1. Keep the same resolution which results in reduced pixel density
2. Keep the same pixel density and make a new resolution or ratio (again).
3. Keep the same screen ratio but double the resolution (like from 3S to 4).

Both 1 and 2 seem unlikely. Developers were really slow to adopt the new iPhone 5 screen ratio. Many still haven't or won't bother. It makes sense for Apple to have fewer screen sizes/ratios than more. After all, that's the difficulty with Android having to support so many different screen sizes and resolutions.

I think we might see a 4.3 to 5" iPhone when Apple can do another pixel doubling. This would result in a higher pixel density than the current iPhones but with the larger screen it wouldn't be twice as high. It would also make developing for the new screen size easier because they can use the same 2x scaling method used during the transition to retina until developers support the even higher density.

So the question might be, will the display tech support 400-500 ppi in time for iPhone 6 or will Apple create a new product category for a larger screen iPhone or do they think the iPhone 5 screen is "perfect" as they claim and that we don't need or want a larger screen...

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
*Ahem* Please go check out their MacBook lineup.

Their laptops don't have LED's added to make the logo glow, its just allowing the backlight to shine through. Go check out any of their products that have something behind the display (iMac, iPod, iPhone) and notice they never have the glowing logo.

----------

I don't think they would add LEDs to make the logo glow. However, I seem to recall that some models of the plastic iBooks and early MacBooks had a translucent window which used the screen backlight to make a glowing Apple logo when the computer was closed. Did I hallucinate that? Possible, this would have been during college for me.

No, you didn't imagine it, but that wouldn't be possible on an iPhone because all of the components and battery are between the screen backlight and the back chasis.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
It will not be name champagne. Champagne is a trademark all over the world due to the alcoholic beverage.

http://www.01net.com/editorial/6019...ellation-champagne/?google_editors_picks=true
I think the threat are empty. Look at all the products out there that are described as "champagne" colored: cars, clothes, paint, and yes, even electronics: http://www.amazon.com/Acer-S3-391-6899-13-3-Inch-Ultrabook-Champagne/dp/B0085H655O. Apple wouldn't be using "champagne" as a product name; they'd be using it as a color descriptor. That would be like Orange suing anyone who described their product as being "orange" colored.

While champagne as a color is derived from the drink, it is now accepted for usage as color descriptor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champagne_(color). That does not fall under copyright protection.

JobsGang

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2013
Reckon the Linsanitys' will go for the Champagne and the Starbucks' Baristas will go for the graphite...

Man, this is so fail, when did Apple stop innovating? oh, actually I remember when Steve passed.

Apple really are taking the p*ss these days.

Korea > USA

Ahhh that's it my friend....let the hate flow through you.

----------

If You Can't Innovate Anymore, Make Another Color Options

You've seen the 5s?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
True, I only know what I've read. And there have been a plethora of articles about color and plastic here for several months now with minor leaks about a fingerprint sensor and a few other things. Perhaps Apple's security has really clamped down on tech leaks and all of this talk about plastic phones in many colors is intended as a distraction so that the real new features will be a surprise.

Now there I do agree with you. I find it very interesting that so far we have been able to only get leaks of phone shells (unless case I have missed some internal part leaks, screens or front covers)

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
i agree , the post sounds like a hater ...
android is pretty awesome ......
all the bashing should be for samsung and there garbage touchwiz

Sorry to disappoint you but I have been using it for 3 mons ;and yes, I do hate it. It is crap.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
I'd be happy with just a 5''+ 1080p screen, everything else i dont care for, but you sound really bitter or you've never really used android.

I gave credit where credit was due (SD card, back button), but it is overrated. I have a Galaxy S4 that is 2 seconds behind all the time, even when just dialing a number. This makes me bitter I suppose. The frustration is unending. Sync with a mac? Extra. Keyboard? Gotta buy Swipe and text prediction still bad. Backup? Who knows. Badges? Maybe, with the right Launcher, but never for all the eligible apps all the time. The AMOLED is unreadable outside. It goes on and on. Settings are scattered throughout the system and applications. I have to run two email programs to get both iCloud and gmail messages. It just plain sucks unless you just want to tinker with it all day, every day.

hbksabhi

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
Sorry to disappoint you but I have been using it for 3 mons ;and yes, I do hate it. It is crap.
i hate it tooo , my sister has it too and she complains of hanging too much , the camera is only hyped online but in real life it produced **** images indoors compared to iphone 5 and outdoor also colors are washed out and all the useless features are useless :p
i always used to think why apple doesnt allow multitasking fully but android does , i got my answer when i saw my sister using s4 as normal people never use excessive apps and dont close or properly exit a application .

it only sells because of marketing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.