Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swankier

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
The only real problem with the AirPods as they exist today is that they get dirty with wax and there is no good way to clean them.

I would welcome the health monitoring feature, but there is zero resell/gifting possible with my current set because it would be unsanitary.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
I have been using AirPods wireless charging case already for the last six months for £10 on eBay so a wireless case has zero attraction for me. Once again the Apple club night invite is too late in the party season and likely to be too expensive entry.

But saying all that... a new AirPods with always on Siri... now that would get me to bite.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
They go bad that quickly? Battery service is 50$ per earphone / case BTW. I've had mine for a year now, but I don't use them that much as I have another pair of wireless earphones.
I've had AirPods from day one (late 2016) and have used them nearly every day since then so battery life that was once 5 hours turned into 4 hours and now is more like 3.5 hours. I had one of them replaced under warranty a little over a year ago so the newer battery in that one always holds about 25% more charge.

Good to hear about their battery replacement service. I didn't know. Thanks.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I've had AirPods from day one (late 2016) and have used them nearly every day since then so battery life that was once 5 hours turned into 4 hours and now is more like 3.5 hours. I had one of them replaced under warranty a little over a year ago so the newer battery in that one always holds about 25% more charge.

Good to hear about their battery replacement service. I didn't know. Thanks.

Yeah, if you use them that much it’s understanble. Not that it would be wrong to use them everyday, it’s just more than how I’m using them.

Battery replacement does seem kind of expensive, but i wouldn’t be surprised if gen 2 is 200$ which would make the battery replacement a better option.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
7412E57A-BA78-4425-AAD0-4B3D7EA2374C.jpeg

I want the new AirPods to take my temperature from my ears!

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Keep justifying it. Apple has you brainwashed af
So you reject math?

Be specific or Macrumors has brainwashed you. The Xr is the same price as the 7 Plus and the X was a 30% increase over the 7 Plus. You’re just flat out wrong.

Gilligan's last elephant

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2016
Personally, I don't understand the appeal... but then again I've never tried them. I've heard that the sound quality is mediocre, and while I get that the device switching is convenient. Seems weird to walk around with those things in completely shutting out the world not being aware of surroundings. I have a pair of Aftershokz Titaniums, and I love them. The sound quality is still mediocre, but I can wirelessly listen and still be aware of surroundings. It's great for cycling, driving, doing stuff around the house, not getting attacked in a parking lot, etc.

https://aftershokz.com/
I got the Titanium but find them quite uncomfortable when wearing a cycle helmet. Got them for voice output using navigation and Mapmyride route info (time, distance etc).

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
They’re a great product, but mine are starting to show their age in terms of battery longevity. Which sucks when paying £159 on something every 2-2.5years. Not sure I could do without them though.

Reactions: nortonandreev

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
What can a pair of earbuds monitor? The article says absolutely nothing about it despite claiming so in the title...

And I guess these earbuds don't need close contact to monitor anything? Because even though they fit a lot of people's ears, I still hear so many complaints about earbuds not fitting other people's ears properly, and it's all because of that rigid plastic. A Watch is a lot different because the bands are adjustable. Does that mean earbuds will finally come in different shapes?

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
The two major issues currently are the battery life and the audio quality. Hopefully Bluetooth 5 will provide some improvement.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Personally, I don't understand the appeal... but then again I've never tried them. I've heard that the sound quality is mediocre, and while I get that the device switching is convenient. Seems weird to walk around with those things in completely shutting out the world not being aware of surroundings. I have a pair of Aftershokz Titaniums, and I love them. The sound quality is still mediocre, but I can wirelessly listen and still be aware of surroundings. It's great for cycling, driving, doing stuff around the house, not getting attacked in a parking lot, etc.

https://aftershokz.com/
I have them and like them a lot. The knocks on sound quality are frankly silly. Sound quality is just fine, and nobody should be looking for audiophile quality or long, dedicated listening sessions out of earbuds, nor should anyone compare buds to full headphones. Also, I personally haven’t found that the world is shut out. There’s no gasket to seal them in (which does mean they’re not completely solid if you shake your head vigorously, and which might cost a little bass, but as I said, it’s fine) so you can hear everything around you.

The appeal is the W chip, plain and simple. Thing’s amazing. The battery/case system is also excellent, and the price point (yes, the price point) is extremely competitive in the earbud market (half the price of many).

Probably not worth changing from devices you like, but you should really give AirPods a try if you can.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
What can a pair of earbuds monitor? The article says absolutely nothing about it despite claiming so in the title...

And I guess these earbuds don't need close contact to monitor anything? Because even though they fit a lot of people's ears, I still hear so many complaints about earbuds not fitting other people's ears properly, and it's all because of that rigid plastic. A Watch is a lot different because the bands are adjustable. Does that mean earbuds will finally come in different shapes?
Body temperature and heart rate are the two most common metrics taken from contact with the ear. But there's no reason to believe that next gen AirPods won't also detect falls, songs playing (like Shazam) and even head movement and position for AR applications.

Reactions: dtrj787

mitty

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Melbourne
Macrumors, why do you continue posting that ridiculous "OLD" and "NEW" pic? It's just the existing ones photographed from two different angles! you might as well post pictures of a Penguin and a Squid.

Reactions: netdudeuk

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
The two major issues currently are the battery life and the audio quality. Hopefully Bluetooth 5 will provide some improvement.
If you're comparing them to competing products, battery life is as good or better than most. As far as your audio quality criticism, you're looking for a different type of product. AirPods sound fine considering they do not seal the ear from ambient noise but that's how they were designed. All earbuds that create a seal automatically have a bass (and usually treble too) advantage over AirPods. That being said, I would love more battery life and better quality for the same price but Apple is more likely to add features rather than improving the existing ones.

AirPods are one of those Apple products that tied up some loose ends in the wireless audio space. They do not have the best audio quality because they are not meant to completely cut out the rest of the world when wearing. Apple is working on some new over-the-ear and in-ear audio products aimed more at audiophiles (think HomePod compared to Alexa) that might be released this year.

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
I'd love to jump on this train but until they make earphones that take different ear sizes into account I have to pass. :(

rk-apple

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
Love my AirPods, but they don't stay in my ears well. Any improvement for staying in ears would be a welcome feature for me.

My son put his AirPods through the wash -- both wash cycle and dryer and they survived and have worked perfectly for months!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.