Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Or: AirPods are such a near perfect product so I don't need to upgrade at all! At least, that's the case for me most likely.
Until Apple offers a battery swap for AirPods (never going to happen), a lot of us early 1st gen adopters are in the market for new AirPods so we wait for the 2nd gen.

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Mostly just want any improvements to sound quality they can muster in the same package size.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Until Apple offers a battery swap for AirPods (never going to happen), a lot of us early 1st gen adopters are in the market for new AirPods so we wait for the 2nd gen.

They go bad that quickly? Battery service is 50$ per earphone / case BTW. I've had mine for a year now, but I don't use them that much as I have another pair of wireless earphones.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I have had my Gen 1 AirPods since launch and find them indispensable. The battery life has significantly deteriorated, which is not unexpected given how much use they get. I have been holding off buying a replacement set in the hopes of a Gen 2 refresh. I will hold off a bit longer...

Same here. Love mine, but extremely disappointed in the poor battery life. $160 isn't in a disposable price territory. My 5yo Powerbeats outlast my AirPods. Unless this is fixed, I don't see myself upgrading to the new ones.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
It will include health monitoring features? Does that mean it will include a warning when you're about to blow your top off? I thought it would only feature wireless charging.

iu

Excellent Tom and jerry gif. +5

kruegdude

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
Why on earth would you want health monitoring features in airpods? That's what the Apple Watch is for. Spare the health features and stick to other improvements. I fully expect to hear about a new Apple Pencil with "health monitoring features" next year now...
Or maybe AirPods that double as an Apple Pencil?

Reactions: Trin813

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Hopefully the battery life is better. Mine are horrendous and I don’t even use them that much. Within a thirty minute phone call I’d have one at 40% and the other at 11%! I could previously use them for the same duration on a phone call and still have 9x%!

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
**NEEDED: Separate volume control to save eardrums from incoming alerts and incoming calls.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
What’s their expected longevity (battery)? Honest question. Anything less than 4 years of at least 2-3 hours charge is a fail imho. Would like to know, I may courageously consider a gen-1 set.

My many 10+ year old 1/8” jack earbuds continue to provide me faithful service, instant-on and with no charge hassle. Thus my continued ire of removing the jack and having to buy/wrangle/keep track of those @$!&?! lightning/jack adapters.

If you are consistently using these (and you probably will because they are great), the buds won't get close to 2 hours on one charge after you have owned them for two or three years. Now the case will still charge it back up and charge it pretty fast (and the case holds many hours of charge). I found myself using these for conference calls when working from home. In the course of a busy day with calls, I would find myself taking one bud out and putting it into charge, while keeping the call going with the other bud. Then switching.

The buds are small and the charge they hold is small. I don't consider them a fail at all with this limitation. The scenarios in which I use them for more than two hours without returning them to their case for a chunk of time was very limited. But it would happen from time to time.

Reactions: Tozovac

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The most obvious health data that can be gathered from the ears is body temperature. This also happens to be a measurement that can be obtained with very little battery use. An infrared sensor is very low energy but can accurately measure temperature in the inner ear.

Second is heart rate. Being in the ear, it doesn’t need to use the energy intense sensor used on the back of the AppleWatch. A sensitive accelerometer or microphone could pick up the heart beat with no lights needed to shine through the skin which is what uses up a lot of energy on the Watch.

Reactions: Zorori and arkitect

andre n.

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2017
Perhaps the health monitor is related to people with hearing disability.

That'd be awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.