Next Gen iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MaddieBrad, Apr 29, 2007.

1. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

So what is the Next generation iPod likely to look like, and what features is it rumored to have? My iPod broke and I need a new one but the buyers guide says that the product will be refreshed very soon so... Go on then MacRumor'ists. Give me your projections. Will we see a full screen iPod anytime soon? Maybe an altered version of the iPhone's OS without the phone hardware? Whats your e-pinion?

B

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

for the umpteenth time...

i think the next gen iPod will be a phone-less iPhone. perhaps Apple will offer smaller capacities with flash drives and keep the larger capacities using regular hard drives.

3. 66217 Guest

Normally, with the time it has passed since the last update, I would recommend to wait. Bur right now is difficult to tell what is going to happen.

The most logical features you can expect of the next iPod is something like the iPhone (but without the phone). But it is not the best business move for Apple, because then a lot of People would buy an iPod instead of an iPhone.

So I think that we will se an update of the iPod in June, but not a very big one, maybe only thinner iPod's and with bigger hard drives.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Its going to rock, but might not be out until the iPhone has launched...since it will likey have similar feature to the iPhone....or maybe APple will want people to buy the iPhone, so the 6G iPod will be with out Wi-Fi or some other big non phone feature

5. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

Sorry... Looked through the forums and couldn't find anything that was current. I appreciate the comments though. I am just hoping that it comes out the same time as the MBP update so I can get them together. A phoneless iPhone would be wicked. Full screen playback with a touch screen is the way forward.

6. sthpark7791 macrumors regular

Like mentioned, it'll probably be the iPhone minus phone. I can't wait for it, I've been holding on with a shuffle for months now :mad:

7. papadopolis1024 macrumors 6502

With out the iPod?

8. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

I am hoping that the iPod is released around the same time as the new MBP's as I am waiting for the Santa Rosa release. I would love to come home with a MBP & a ipod. Yay!

9. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

The next gen iPod is...the iPhone!
    There's no point making a full scren touch iPod, then nobody will buy iPhone. There's the still the problem, of those tiny flash drives inside the iPhones, maybe ? will surprise us and launch a 30 & 60GB iPhone too!

10. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I agree 100%. The replacement for the 5.5G iPod will look like the iPhone, but will be a little thicker to acoommodate the (my guess!) 60 and 100 GB hard drives and larger battery pack. It will have a full-sized display and touchscreen controls.

I do think the iPod nano in its current form will continue, but Apple will drop the 2 GB model in favor of the 4 GB model being the low end model (probably in silver case only), the 8 GB model being the standard model (now in at least 10 different colors), and a new 16 GB model in black and red only.

Expect a major redesign of the iTunes software to make it easier to master and use, too.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i've imagined the nanos getting smaller height-wise but i'm not sure how this would affect usability or comfort when you hold it in your hand. i agree that they'll drop the 2GB model and move everything along the price line when a larger capacity (10, 12, 16, 20GB?) model is announced.

i think iTunes is pretty nifty to use as it is. what changes might you want to see?

12. Tadow macrumors member

Does anyone think that there will be video capabilities on the new nanos? I know the screen is small but it would be nice to have the option.

13. PodHead macrumors member

PodHead

I think these are two different markets. If you want a phone then you will buy the iphone. If you want a next gen ipod then you will buy the phone-less iphone. It just makes sense that the ipod will go in that direction. I think it will release in tandem with 2G iphones for those that want both iphones and larger drives for music and movies.

14. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

6G iPod Form Factor

Some of the basic things I'd like to see would be at least 12OGB and Stereo Bluetooth. And yes, I'd LOVE Sirius/XM too!! And naturally, it must have the optical-glass touch screen of the iPhone (or the rumored 'rear touch' version), Cover Flow and so on.

Beyond this, the 6th Gen should definately be video-centric. And THAT brings up my real "want" for it: a Cinemascope 2.40 to 1 aspect ratio screen! They could call the thing the "iPod Palm Theatre" or something. And with at least 120GB's it would hold plenty of movies---AND music. This screen ratio is EASY to achieve: just take a current 5G iPod, turn it on it's side, lengthen the case by approximately 1 and 3/8 inches, and extend the screen---at the same set-back from the edge as on the 5G---across the whole face. Viola! You now have a full 'Scope aspect ratio of 2.40 to 1! All movies, TV shows, videos, etc would play in "constant height" mode with black pillars on the sides if less than 2.40/1. You'd see EVERYTHING as originally made with NO CROPPING! This device would only be slightly longer than an iPhone and way-smaller than a PSP. VERY DO-ABLE, Apple! We WANT it!! And just in time for the Christmas shopping season would be ideal!

15. drb6 macrumors regular

I really don't see apple releasing a new ipod this summer unless its a minor update. Probably in the fall, just before Christmas would make more sense.

16. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

After the release of the iPhone i can once more become excited about the next gen iPod. I've been waiting for the "true video ipod" for so long, but the freekin' iPhone had to ruin it all and set back the release date. All that is left is to wait for Leopard's release.
    Back to the question (which is easily answerable), there is no doubt that the iPod will quite likely, be similar to the iPhone.

17. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

No. I can see the next iPod being the phone-less iPhone and all but the aspect ratio should certainly be 16:9. Most of the video that iTunes sells and most of what I imagine is watched on iPods is TV shows in either 16:9 or 4:3, neither of which would look good on a 2.4:1 screen; it's too wide.

18. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

But there's much more than just TV shows and 16:9 downloads. I (and many others) load lots of DVD movies on the 5G, and most of them are 'scope! Small, but watchable on a 5G 'Pod. But on a 2.40/1 6G such as I suggest, they'd be spectacular! And 16:9 on that screen would still be huge, with 4:3 much larger also than on the current model. So it's a win-win situation all around this way!

I was a theatre projectionist for 20 years and "constant height" is the way to go---and especially is this true on a small, handheld device. Black bars mask the sides ONLY, as needed, depending on the aspect ratio being viewed. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this way. On iLounge you'll find several mock-ups of this type of iPod in their photo galleries. Also, Apple itself, in their patent application for the "rear touch surface control screen" device shows the iPod as a CinemaScope model! So HOPEFULLY, they're already working on it! Don't worry, you'll LOVE it!

19. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I see the point you're making but I still think that 16:9 is the lowest common denominator. You can watch 16:9 movies/TV full screen, 4:3 TV with bars on the sides and 2.4:1 movies with only small black bars. But with a 2.4:1 screen everything but those movies that are CinemaScope will fill up the screen. So I'd go with 16:9 for the base iPod video model.

But even if they made it 2.4:1 I'd buy one on day one.

20. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

That's the spirit! Actually, 16:9 is 1:78/1 in theatre-speak, an average aspect ratio, chosen for HDTV. And it IS a vast improvement over 4:3 for THAT. But movie-wise it's still what we called "flat". Scope opens everything up, and a 2.4/1 iPod would do the same. EVERYTHING would be BIG, top to bottom, no black bars. I still think that's the best way to watch all content. The iPhone compromise is un-appealing to me.

21. shortelvis macrumors member

2.5" touch sensitive widescreen ipod with wi-fi

I think Apple would be wise to add wi-fi to the Ipod with access to the iTunes store for impulse purchases while on the road! I'd be more likely to buy songs while I was at work or out and about, than at home. If they make the screen smaller than the iPhone and just have the Ipod interface, they will make a good enough devide between the two options. The iPhone would be the splurge and the iPod would be the safety sell. In fact, it would be great if they could incorporate a "back to my mac" feature for streaming songs from your home computer's network to your iPod with a wi-fi connection (probably not edge)! Of course, the upsell would be having a .Mac account to make it work... :)

22. Dijo John macrumors member

Should I wait for the new iPod?

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to these forums. I've never owned an iPod before and I was planning to get the 30GB iPod video now. But then I started hearing rumours that the 6th generation iPod will be unveiled this fall.

Are these rumours true? Will we really have an iPhone-like iPod in a few months?

Is it worth waiting or should I just go get a 5.5G iPod now?

Thanks

23. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat as you... except I have a 1st gen 4gb nano that is too small for me now and i want to upgrade.

24. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

My guess is like many of others. The 6g ipod with will a phoneless iPhone WITHOUT Wifi, and will have a HD in it, with at least with space they have now, maybe a capacity boast.

If it came out, I'd buy one... but I'm holding out for an iPhone in Canada :)

The Stig

25. appledrummer macrumors member

the iPod HD (no not HDD)

How 'bout if it plays had movies. Apple will release HD video for download off iTunes the same day as the release of the ipod. Any thoughts?