Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It sounds like with Apple relying on Intel's chips, they will continue to have issues with everything syncing up to allow the best of all worlds in a MacBook Pro. You can have a fast chip, but not a lot of RAM. Or Fast RAM, but not a fast chip. Or a lot of RAM but 2 hours battery life. And so on. Ugh.

Maybe this is why Apple is dropping support for Imagination Technologies GPUs and developing their own, part of a process of developing their own complete chip sets where their computers can have the best of all worlds at the same time and for every release target. Granted, ditching Intel won't be easy and they probably don't want to do it, but if Intel can't deliver then they may have no choice.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Considering DDR 4 has only just made it on to mainstream kit I doubt it will be mainstream till 2021/2

DDR 4, at least in desktop class has been mainstream since the release of Socket 1151 boards by Intel, which was during the Broadwell release. DDR4 has been the on the market since 2014, and available by virtually all PC manufacturers in some form since.

Reactions: MTBCAM88

skitidetdu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Sweden
I think maybe Apple need to lower their profit margin just a tiny bit and go for more recent tech, yes? As they are being seriously challenged in the design department these days some things need to change.

MTBCAM88

Suspended
Feb 28, 2017
Ogden, UT
It sounds like with Apple relying on Intel's chips, they will continue to have issues with everything syncing up to allow the best of all worlds in a MacBook Pro. You can have a fast chip, but not a lot of RAM. Or Fast RAM, but not a fast chip. Or a lot of RAM but 2 hours battery life. And so on. Ugh.

Maybe this is why Apple is dropping support for Imagination Technologies GPUs and developing their own, part of a process of developing their own complete chip sets where their computers can have the best of all worlds at the same time and for every release target. Granted, ditching Intel won't be easy and they probably don't want to do it, but if Intel can't deliver then they may have no choice.
Are you saying Apple should design (and potentially are) a chip that has the power of an i5 or i7 with integrated graphics on par with something from Nvidia or AMD GPUs? Just to put LPDDR4 in their Macbooks?

JMacHack

Suspended
Mar 16, 2017
Are you saying Apple should design (and potentially are) a chip that has the power of an i5 or i7 with integrated graphics on par with something from Nvidia or AMD GPUs? Just to put LPDDR4 in their Macbooks?
Somehow I think the Mac update schedule would get exponentially longer if they tried this. If Intel is having trouble maintaining their roadmap, I doubt Apple could push out equivalent (or better) CPUs faster.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Somehow I think the Mac update schedule would get exponentially longer if they tried this. If Intel is having trouble maintaining their roadmap, I doubt Apple could push out equivalent (or better) CPUs faster.

it takes a lot of time, money and resources to design a CPU. Even AMD, with decades of x86 architecture knowledge, who invented the x64 extension set, Still took nearly 5 years to design RyZen.

Most of Intel's product roadmap is years in advance.

Apple would probably take a good 6-10 years from now to design a new CPU from scratch, nevermind a CPU+GPU that even comes close to rivaling the existing desktop class parts.

MTBCAM88

Suspended
Feb 28, 2017
Ogden, UT
Intel has been the pinnacle manufacturer in the CPU industry for how long? 10 years or more? There is a reason for that. And if Apple wants to design an APU that will allow for LPDDR4 in the MBP they can go right ahead, but they will charge $5k for it and it will do nothing but fall short of every future Intel chip to come. I dont understand why everyone has their panties in a wad over RAM. You get a good CPU with great caching capabilities and you dont need the latest and greatest RAM. There is a reason Apple did what they did. That doesnt excuse the ridiculous price tag for the MBP however...
[doublepost=1491242559][/doublepost]
it takes a lot of time, money and resources to design a CPU. Even AMD, with decades of x86 architecture knowledge, who invented the x64 extension set, Still took nearly 5 years to design RyZen.

Most of Intel's product roadmap is years in advance.

Apple would probably take a good 6-10 years from now to design a new CPU from scratch, nevermind a CPU+GPU that even comes close to rivaling the existing desktop class parts.
Well said. And many feel that Ryzen STILL doesnt beat Kabylake...

Reactions: JMacHack

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Do all the pearl-clutchers in here not realize that Intel simply does not offer LPDDR4 chipsets? Apple can't use it if Intel doesn't sell it.

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
The headline states, that DDR5 will DOUBLE the memory's "speed" (which is a bold statement).

The source in the article claims, it will double the memory's bandwidth (which is realistic'ish).

How could I even expect the author to know the difference...

MTBCAM88

Suspended
Feb 28, 2017
Ogden, UT
The headline states, that DDR5 will DOUBLE the memory's "speed" (which is a bold statement).

The source in the article claims, it will double the memory's bandwidth (which is realistic'ish).

DDR3 doubles the speed of DDR2, and DDR4 doubles the speed of DDR3. That is a fact. So why wouldnt DDR5 double the speed of DDR4? By speed we arent talking the frequency...

Youre right though, what does he mean by "speed"? Frequency? Latency? What?

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
This is news that the DDR5 spec has been finalized. RAM chip makers will now assess whether or not they will produce DDR5. Not one has yet announced a plan to mfg/sell DDR5. While I wish Apple seemed more committed to their PCs, jumping on this link-bait article as proof they no longer care about PCs is just absurd.

cyberlocke

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
So Macs will get it in 2020?
Anyone else more than a little weirded out / amazed that we're actually talking about the year 2020 as a not-too-distant-future date?! I mean, yeah, it's eons in tech years (and I do hope Apple get on the ball with their computer tech; I mean c'mon), but we're almost there!

MTBCAM88

Suspended
Feb 28, 2017
Ogden, UT
Anyone else more than a little weirded out / amazed that we're actually talking about the year 2020 as a not-too-distant-future date?! I mean, yeah, it's eons in tech years (and I do hope Apple get on the ball with their computer tech; I mean c'mon), but we're almost there!
Makes ya feel old doesnt it?

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013

The truth is halfway in between. The memory bus is doubled in bandwidth. The actual memory cells remain at the same speed. To fill the bus, the RAM chip reads more data in parallel and prefetches more. This has happened for generations. DDR1-400, DDR2-800, DDR3-1600, and DDR4-1600 use the same memory cell speed (200 MHz).

Reactions: gertruded

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Intel processors don't support LPDDR4 yet, Kaby Lake only supports it on ultra-low power, and Cannonlake has no plans for it, Apple's hands are tied in this part.

Desktops are another matter entirely.

Yeah, this can't be restated enough. Intel is a big part of the problem. I feel like they've suddenly slowed to a crawl.

Some of it is understandable, because Moore's law seems to be hitting a brick wall, but other things (like lack of support for LPDDR4 for years) are inexcusable.

MTBCAM88

Suspended
Feb 28, 2017
Ogden, UT
Yeah, this can't be restated enough. Intel is a big part of the problem. I feel like they've suddenly slowed to a crawl.

Some of it is understandable, because Moore's law seems to be hitting a brick wall, but other things (like lack of support for LPDDR4 for years) are inexcusable.
Whats your alternative?

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I think maybe Apple need to lower their profit margin just a tiny bit and go for more recent tech, yes? As they are being seriously challenged in the design department these days some things need to change.
Comments like these make it seem like people didn't even read the article.

Skylake *doesn't support* LPDDR4. It's not about profit margins, it's about battery life. Using regular DDR4 would mean a huge hit to battery life.
[doublepost=1491243469][/doublepost]
Whats your alternative?
There is no alternative to Intel (which is probably part of the problem..)

Apple can keep working on their own ARM-based chips, but it will be years before they come close to challenging Intel for speed and power. And imagine the outrage if Apple tried to release an ARM-based Macbook, let alone a MacBook "Pro".

MTBCAM88

Suspended
Feb 28, 2017
Ogden, UT
Comments like these make it seem like people didn't even read the article.

Skylake *doesn't support* LPDDR4. It's not about profit margins, it's about battery life. Using regular DDR4 would mean a huge hit to battery life.
[doublepost=1491243469][/doublepost]
There is no alternative to Intel (which is probably part of the problem..)

Apple can keep working on their own ARM-based chips, but it will be years before they come close to challenging Intel for speed and power.
ARM is designed for mobile devices that consume much less power. As you stated, it would take years for apple to design a chip that competed, therefore it's not a good solution. Im actually defending Apple on the decision to go with intel on this. Seems like most people on here dont realize that LPDDR3 is perfectly capable when running alongside the latest Intel chips. And DDR5, despite the title of this article is a long way off. People have two choices: More RAM and less battery life, or better battery life and LPDDR3 RAM. But they will complain about both.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
DDR 4, at least in desktop class has been mainstream since the release of Socket 1151 boards by Intel, which was during the Broadwell release. DDR4 has been the on the market since 2014, and available by virtually all PC manufacturers in some form since.

The X99 workstation kit (certainly not mainstream) but not the mainstream broadwell, it was introduced with skylake.

Reactions: MTBCAM88

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
DDR3 doubles the speed of DDR2, and DDR4 doubles the speed of DDR3. That is a fact. So why wouldnt DDR5 double the speed of DDR4? By speed we arent talking the frequency...

Youre right though, what does he mean by "speed"? Frequency? Latency? What?
DDR3 allowed for higher (not twice as high) memory clock speeds and had an 8x prefetch buffer window size, while DDR2 had a 4x prefetch buffer... which would (not even theoretically) double the overall memory speed because a) a LOT higher latency and b) refresh.

DDR4 now had the same 8x prefetch buffer (but again higher clocked speeds) so I really don't know where the 2x speed over DDR3 is... Yes, it will greatly increase the bandwidth, but that's nothing our typical desktop workloads profit from anyways.

Reactions: sos47

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
except almost everyone else is already on DDR4

And for power draw, DDR4 = LPDDR3. LPDDR4 will be even better overall, but keeping DDR3 for LPPDDR3 is absolutely a money saving item and has nothing to do with power draw / performance.

The above underlined part is categorically false. While the active power consumption is similar the standby power isn't even close with LPDDR taking about 1/5 the power of DDR4. Given the amount of time my laptop spends in standby (I will frequently travel without my power-supply for short trips of a day or so) the standby power draw rates are CRITICAL in real-life use cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.