Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
The Home button is just about the one thing I really hate about the current iPhone design. I hope this rumour is wrong and they go with a capacitive option instead.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
Since parts are already starting to leak..does this mean we can expect an earlier launch than the fall?? When did the new iPad parts start to leak??

dmovieman

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
Atlanta, GA
Home button needs fixing

Although this hardly seems like news I have found that the home button is the most frequently broken or worn out part of the iPhones I have had. I have had a couple replaced by Apple because they became unresponsive. I love the home button and how it works, but it needs to be more reliable. Hopefully Apple has found a way to improve upon the original design of the home button for the iPhone 6.

iphone X

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
I keep wondering what will happen when the new new iPad/iPhone will come out...then the old will still be "New" ?

i think they are going to call the new and old Iphone and Ipad like they call the macbooks and imac. early 2010 mbp, 2011 late imac. :rolleyes:

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
180+ comments on the rumor of a "new" home button? Really? Wow. I find it interesting that this is one of the most commented on stories in a while.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
At the front side you can't tell the difference. I repair iPhones for a living, and I an sure about my statement. The square silicone part is sticked at the backside of the touch panel.

Take a look at the picture in step 14, there you clearly see the back side of the panel with the square home button in place.

Okay, how about this?

The image on MacRumors does not have the silicone rubber, check the last image on this page: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-4S-Home-Button/7282/14

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
An actual button has the advantage of being operated more easily by feel, for users with minimal vision, or not fully awake, or otherwise busy.

Given that in various countries there are laws and regulations requiring a certain amount of support for the visually impaired, it may well be lower risk to leave it as is.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Since parts are already starting to leak..does this mean we can expect an earlier launch than the fall?? When did the new iPad parts start to leak??

What if this isn't an iPhone part after all but the home button for that rumored iPad Mini? (dun dun dun dun...)

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Actually, as pointless as this news seems, it gives me hope. I've had two home buttons start going bad on me before, so it would be great if Apple is improving it so that they are less prone to failure.

It seems like with a larger surface area under the button, it will probably have a more even feel to it, and hopefully not fail as easily.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It would be interesting to know the truth behind Apples insistence on clinging to a low tech mechanical home button.

It simply doesn't fit with the image an innovative company likes to portray. Especially since Apple values minaturization, a tiny display and a very compact form factor.

Perhaps it's an emotional attachment.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Not a good idea. Have you used an Android phone with the touch buttons? They're unresponsive, easy to accidentally hit, and just don't work too well in practice.

I haven't found them to be unresponsive. After 1 year my iPhone 4's home button would intermittently stop registering button presses, now that is unresponsive. I like the tactile feedback but if this is going to be an issue with hardware buttons, I'm ok with capacitive ones.

kataperture

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
Please

Can we please stop calling the sixth-generation iPhone the "iPhone 5"? We already have a concrete statement from Apple saying they dislike being predictable, and the iPhone 4S is the fifth-generation iPhone. I can't be the only one to see the complete lack of logical thought in calling the sixth-generation iPhone the "iPhone 5."

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Who the hell cares what kind of button some iCrap device will have in the future???

This is exactly why I don't come to MacRumors very often anmyore. Too little pro talk, too much iWhatever...

Come on! This is a page one article?

I myself start to see Apple as a pure gadget company now. Once you accepted that for yourself, it doesn't feel too bad anymore.

It is just tough, because I am a Mac User since 25 years and my main workstations have always been Macs. Good old times. When my current Mac Pro is getting too old, I will probably jump ship and switch to Windows. Pro users are not important to Apple anymore.

That's what you wanted Apple! Right? Soon you'll get it...

Apple will only remain in my private life with some toys... for now. No business on Apple anymore.

I could really cry...

groovebuster

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
For the next iRumor I'd like to have a sample of the black color of the black iPhone.

The title would read "Exact shade of black of the new iPhone leaked".

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Sure, it's just a home button and there is not much to be said about it. But the fact that it's different at least confirms one very important thing: the next iPhone will be a redesign, there are now no possibility of an "iPhone 4SS". Phew!... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.