Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Adapters are intended for transitions. USB-C is going to replace USB-A. The quicker those old ports are removed, the faster people will upgrade, and the sooner you can stop using those adapters.
But it's a huge PITA in the short term. So many machines are still being sold with that older ports that peripheral makers aren't going all-usb-c anytime soon. Being too far out ahead of the curve isn't a good thing.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I hope Apple adds more USBC ports this time. At least 2 would be nice. Also 16gig of RAM is a must!

Reactions: nt5672

ballyhoos

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
Anyone else noticing that Apple is spending a lot of time, money and effort in "locking down" their hardware to individual users? While going out of their way to implement things like, the unlocking of a laptop with a remote device [iWatch].

The chipping of the human population is fast approaching.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
I've no need to update my late 2011 17" since I added a 1TB SSD, but this would have me updating to the 15" Mac Book Pro

demodave

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Dallas, TX

Back in May, KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that the next-generation MacBook Pro will include an OLED "touch bar" above the keyboard and Touch ID support, with a subsequent part leak of the machine's chassis supporting the idea of this touch bar replacing the current row of function keys.

[snip]

Kuo did not address exactly how Touch ID would be integrated into the new MacBook Pro, but a new report from 9to5Mac claims the technology will be built into the device's power button. The MacBook Pro's power button currently resides in the row of function keys, so it is a logical place to incorporate a fingerprint sensing power button as part of the new touch bar.If placed in the power button, the fingerprint sensor would allow users to wake the MacBook Pro and authenticate its security in one touch, similar to waking up an iPhone by pressing the Home button while simultaneously activating Touch ID.

[snip]

The state of the current Mac lineup is causing turmoil for users interested in upgrading their machines on the eve of the big refresh this fall, but with no word yet from Apple, even the launch period is somewhat muddled. The new MacBooks could be revealed in September, alongside the iPhone 7 and new Apple Watch models (now believed to be split into two editions), but the company could also opt to hold refreshes for the Mac until a separate event later in the fall, perhaps in October.

Article Link: Next-Generation MacBook Pro's Touch ID Feature Likely Built Into the Power Button

Hmm. Never would have guessed that they'd put the Touch ID on the power key:

isn't it obvious that on a MacBook the Touch ID goes where the power button is?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
the new MacBook Pro will be "the most significant upgrade ever undertaken by Apple."

Got the message? It's clear and loud, and the source is reliable. Give Apple the benefit of doubt, they deserve it, and they've earned it.

To complain behind a keyboard is so much easier.
Well, given the amount of time that has passed since they last updated it, it should be the most significant upgrade. Until they upgrade the Mac Pro and Mac Mini. Hell, throw an SSD and a mediocre quad-core CPU in a Mini and you've already got the record for most significant upgrade.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Finally. A complaint.

I don't think you know the meaning of the word complaint. That post you replied to was very positive towards this thread.
[doublepost=1470710618][/doublepost]
the new MacBook Pro will be "the most significant upgrade ever undertaken by Apple."

Got the message? It's clear and loud, and the source is reliable. Give Apple the benefit of doubt, they deserve it, and they've earned it.

It would be nice if that's true. But when Timmy and and Eddie Clueless are describing basically every Apple product launch as the most amazing thing Apple's ever done, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: nt5672

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Reminds me of the time Lenovo tried to remove the Fn buttons on one generation of their X1 Carbon notebooks and it failed miserably. I think it could have worked, so hopefully Apple can do a better job.

It looks pretty cool, so why did it fail miserably? Maybe Apple adding haptic feedback will help with the feel of "clicking" it?

monstruo

macrumors regular
May 5, 2009
I'm probably one of the few people who use the Function Key daily for all design work. Sure some of you will be like... "Specific design function keys for apps" but that only happens when developers integrate into the future version. And have no physical key buttons for those function keys.. it ain't the same.

As always with apple, we always learn how to move on.

Reactions: fivetoedbear

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I'm probably one of the few people who use the Function Key daily for all design work. Sure some of you will be like... "Specific design function keys for apps" but that only happens when developers integrate into the future version. And have no physical key buttons for those function keys.. it ain't the same.

As always with apple, we always learn how to move on.
Indeed. I spend a lot of time in Terminal. I occasionally use text-screen-oriented Unix programs that expect one has function keys. As cool as the reprogrammable information-displaying touch-sensitive strip could be, it's going to make some legacy programs harder to use.

Reactions: Frosties and nt5672

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It Already does what you suggested in touch, the touch surface already works and you can interact with it, why omg earth do you need a display in that ?

Dashboard Widgets for starters. More robust notifications. And dare I say, some iOS apps. The possibilities are far greater.

FactVsOpinion

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
I don't think you know the meaning of the word complaint. That post you replied to was very positive towards this thread.

So if I were to first quote you and then say, "Finally, this forum member made a smart comment rather than more idiotic ones," you'd say I was being very positive towards you?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
So what's the catch? Apple could always pull the 2014 Mac mini trick on the new MacBooks , pushing us to the powerful iPad Pro.....

Reactions: pat500000

Koalazub

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
[doublepost=1470710618][/doublepost]

It would be nice if that's true. But when Timmy and and Eddie Clueless are describing basically every Apple product launch as the most amazing thing Apple's ever done, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

I agree. I'm getting real tired of them patting each other on the back. I also wish they'd stop showing absurd statistics that no one cares about e.g. the number of times someone has used an emoji animation(likely the next thing they'll brag about).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.