Next Generation of iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doberman211, Nov 4, 2010.

1. doberman211, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

doberman211 macrumors regular

Ok no this is no rumor just an idea collection I'm starting. Submit any ideas you think would make it into any future iPad releases.

Ok so here is my idea:

Bigger and better. I would like to have a 13" touchpad at my disposal. I just find that it is too small for my kind of multitasking. it would be the ultimate tool. but for this i would prefer to have a mac OS rather than the small iOS systems. i wanna macbook on a touchscreen in simple terms. It would in fact be possible. it may not be as portable, but it would be great just the same.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

You will absolutely see a touchscreen Mac OS device at some point. It just won't be in 2011.

3. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

aw, but its so close! oh we... maybe by 2012 before we all die. jk thats complete BS.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The next gen iPad will probably be very similar to the current one, the only differences I think it will have are a camera, and more RAM.

If you want a Mac OS X based tablet there is a company that mods macbooks into tablets. It's expensive though.

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

yeah either we were supposed to die 50 years ago or we will die in 50 years. lol!
    i never got that whole 2012 thing. why would p[people of the gregorian calender believe mayans? really.. is this how stupid we have become, that we panic over death that is INEVITABLE.. WOW!!

now back to your post:
    i wanna see apple develop something like SixthSense. the whole projector on your neck and stuff like that. that would be cool. but realistically (cuz apple would sell it for a couple thousand dollars), the ipad will stay the same, but have a retina screen, maybe a camera in the front. it will not have a USB though, because OS 4.2 supports air-printing, so that being said no USB ports.

what might be included though is this new feature i call Jamba. this basically uses the camera to login, rather than having to click the slide to unlock. this way, even if your ipad is stolen, it cannot be opened, unless it is reset (which means total data loss!). ~yeah i know Jamba is a dumb name, but cut me some slack, lol!~

6. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

maybe in a couple years they should release the MacPad that is 13" and has a minidisplay and usb for other things but only accessible if you remove a metal cap to keep them clean. and make the caps real hard to take off so they dont get lost. its not like they can make it thinner than a usb if they make it a 13" anyway right?...right???

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

They will add

Ram
    Camera
    Gyroscope
    And maybe more flash memory.

If you are asking for more, then you are crazy. Apple always leaves tons of room for future updates. That means

1. No retina display
    2. No physical change or design change

Enjoy your 2nd gen iPad. I am going to wait for 3rd gen. In fact, I have seen so many of these topics about iPad 2. Cannot wait for iPad 2 to come out, so I can talk about iPad 3 all day. Let's see what users are going to say about that.

8. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

um this is just made to discuss the general future. meaning you can talk about generation 2000 in here and its on topic;)

9. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Honest question: Why does the iPad need a gyroscope?

10. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

The upgrade will be fairly minor, like the changes from Iphone 3 to 4

--Better battery life
    --at least one camera
    --maybe more storage space
    --maybe better screen
    --maybe faster cpu or more ram

but that's about it, realistically they can't put too much more into it, otherwise the price will go up, they will want to keep the Ipad around the same price as the current model.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

More nuanced control within games.

12. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Cool, thanks for that. Don't know how much impact that would have on my user experience, but I could see some benefits for many others, and finer control means that the iPad becomes more of a precision tool.

As for battery life, I seriously doubt than there are many out there who actually need more juice than the current model which provides for 10 hours of continuous use. Increasing battery life will either come at the increase of weight or a disproportional increase in price.

13. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Opens up a whole new array of apps.

For instance, aircraft pilots could use the iPad as a backup attitude indicator if it had a gyroscope. I know plenty of pilots who love using the iPad to help them navigate, plan flights, etc. Even jet captains.

14. Syk macrumors 6502a

Guess I'll play:D
    7" screen but that's not happening so for the base model I'd like to see:

Faster processor
    more ram
    32GB storage
    gyroscope
    cameras(doesn't matter but eveything else has one so why not)
    tad bit lighter
    make sure the battery stays at 10hrs or more
    Wifi/3G
    all for $499 :eek:

15. gatearray macrumors 65816

To quote your original post:

Ok no this is no rumor just an idea collection I'm starting. Submit any ideas you think would make it into the next iPad.

hcho3 wins. :)

16. Netniks macrumors newbie

Netniks

Tiny, little feet

The retina display is arguably the most expensive component in the iPhone 4 (and its cost is subsidized), so as much as I'd *love* to see the iPad get one, I don't think it's in the cards for the next iPad revision.

A front facing camera is almost a given if FaceTime is going to gain traction. The one feature that I wish would be incorporated is the little "feet" like those on the underside of the MacBook Pro's. The iPad is a little, kinetic creature when you try to type on its keyboard on a flat surface. Steve, you failed me on the iPad v1.0.

17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Not a chance in hell. Probably more RAM, maybe the gyroscope, even more of a maybe on the storage bump, maybe one camera on the front. Outside of that I doubt you see much difference from the current iPad to the revision.

18. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

You need to realize that the cost of a 10" "retina" display on the ipad is not the only barrier. You would also need quite the processor to drive that (what would be ridiculous) resolution. Forget about retina display. Its not even close.

19. Syk macrumors 6502a

LOL I know. Since we were wishfully thinking I thought I'd go full tilt.

I'm pretty sure a camera, more ram and probably faster CPU is a given.

I'd probably faint if they had wifi+3G @ $499. Although it's possible. The adam by Notion ink is suppose to be that price with 3G.

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

The Adam, if and when it's released, has some high expectations to live up to, ergo the very aggressive pricing.

21. Syk macrumors 6502a

Looking at the adam website it looks like they are close to bringing it to market in Dec or Jan.

I just wonder how a small company like that can get the parts it needs produce the tablets at the price they are saying. I know what a lost leader item is but don't they are a big enough company to do that just yet.

22. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

Steve has said a few weeks ago a 7" Ipad is off the cards, however with increased competition in the market looming, from devices such as the PlayBook they may well bring out an entry level model that is smaller and cheaper.

23. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I doubt it... and, oh - BTW: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1047182

24. Syk macrumors 6502a

Steve's going to release a 7.5" one and say how it's the size and alot of hoopla :D

I personally would love to have a 7" tablet for my use. Samsung pricing is all wrong. I just pay $600 for it. There's a wifi version that is suppose to be $499 and then they Samsung turns around a few days after the US release and shows their SAMOLE screens in 7" of course that's going to make some hold off on buying it.

No commercials. I see iPad commercials like crazy now.

If it could have came in at $399 I'd probably have one. Too many tablets coming out in 2011. I'm going to wait till then. The LG looks good. It's a 8.9" screen

The PlayBook has potential but it's going to be about app support and I'd like to see the OS in action instead of it playing videos

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

...but then it intervenes straight away with the high-end iPod Touch's price point of $399. That wouldn't work. Steve already laid down the law - a 7 inch version isn't going to happen.