Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and Debby Wu last year reported that Apple had tested a new iPad Pro with a glass back for wireless charging capabilities. In a recent edition of his newsletter, Gurman said he expects the new iPad Pro to be released in 2022.

iPad-Pro-Big-Ol-Logo-Orange.jpg

While the new iPad Pro is still on track to feature wireless charging, 9to5Mac's Filipe Espósito today reported that Apple may have ultimately scrapped the glass back design after testing due to concerns over breakability. Citing sources familiar with Apple's design plans, the report claims that Apple has developed iPad Pro prototypes with a larger Apple logo made of glass, which would still allow for wireless charging.

One of the prototypes is said to feature MagSafe with stronger magnets than on the iPhone to prevent accidental damage, and it is also said to support faster wireless charging speeds compared to MagSafe on the iPhone.

Given that Apple prototypes several products internally, there is no guarantee that the iPad Pro with a glass Apple logo will ever be released, but rumors do seem to agree that the next iPad Pro will have a new design of some kind to enable wireless charging. A more specific release date for the device beyond the 2022 timeframe remains unclear.

Article Link: Next iPad Pro Might Feature Large Glass Apple Logo to Allow Wireless Charging

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SurferPup
wireless charging a 10"+ device does not make sense to me ...
Not a big fan of wireless charging but I guess it will be a great addition and a selling point. Even with faster and improved wireless charging. Can you imagine how long it's going to take to charge the battery? Especially wireless charging with the teeny tiny Apple logo.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
It will almost HAVE to include the MagSafe charging of the phones. Trying to center a third-party "dumb" wireless charger sounds like a pain, as well as unstable.

Edit: Clearly it's not that big of a deal, but getting a charger dead center won't be as simple as on the phone.

Reactions: NC12

IanL

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Who asked for wireless charging on an iPad? Seems pretty unnecessary.

I think that, assuming it doesn't come at the cost of anything else (e.g., durability), it'd be a nice feature to have!

I'm working to integrate wireless charging pucks/mats integrated into furniture and I can see a future where I have a coffee table and desk with a charger built in and I can just set my iPad down on the table/desk when done and not have to worry about plugging it in.

Anytime I can reduce the number of wires strewn about (by hiding them in a table/desk, for example), I'm on board!

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
Makes me think of the wireless charging dock on my old webOS Touchpad. It was pretty nice to just drop the tablet on the dock when I wasn't using it and then just grab and go later. Magnetic alignment would have made the process more efficient.

I too really liked that feature of the HP Touchpad, really nice to just drop it there and have the device charge.

Really enjoyed that device once I put android on it, but then I upgraded to the 3rd gen iPad and never looked back.

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
You still have to connect the iPad to the "smart" connector. I don't think that's true wireless charging.

Well that’s why I put wirelessly in quotes. I mean if Apple can design a charger that can connect and align via magnets to the smart connector, I’m ok with that. It’s not all that different than MagSafe for MacBooks IMO.

Would be nice if it was even a stand or prop to hold up the iPad if you wanted.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
A non-circular metal window is going to make for some interesting field patterns-- engineers start your numerical solve engines!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.