Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
And do you think having EIGHT tab opened on a mobile phone is something to be considered as "normal" ???
OMG ....
*Raises hand*...not claiming it's common, but it's a regular occurrence for me too! I really, really wanted 512MB Ram. Unless multitasking isn't going to hog RAM as much as I anticipate.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
It is incredible how people in this forum complain about EVERYTHING Apple does. There is people with thousands of post, always bashing Apple at every single release/refresh of a product. I really don't know what is the reason to sign up on a forum like this if you basically hate Apple and their market policy.
If it is black, they want it white, if it is plastic, they want it metal, if it is heavy, they want it light. This forum should change its name in Mac Whiners Forum ...

Okay, this is a dedicated Mac Forum, it doesn't differentiate between those that like what Apple does and those that don't. That said, the complaining here is over small details.

Head over to neowin.net, and read the comments on any Apple related news, I can guarantee you that 90% of them are flamebait/Apple hater messages. Also, my city paper website also seems to attract the same kind of people.

What I'm trying to say here is that: at least the whiners here actually say what they're complaining about.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
*Raises hand*...not claiming it's common, but it's a regular occurrence for me too! I really, really wanted 512MB Ram. Unless multitasking isn't going to hog RAM as much as I anticipate.

People have eight tabs open on their computer all the time so I don't see what's so crazy about that. Like I said though I'd be happy just to have four cached reliably.

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
are we still speaking about a MOBILE PHONE ??? :rolleyes:

Is it unreasonable to expect, you know, progress to be made on the mobile platform?

Heaven forbid we may want to have 8 tabs open on mobile Safari.

But nope, Apple decided they were going to cheap out on the RAM. Look, nobody is expecting to run Crysis or Autocad on these things this year, but having a bunch of tabs open isn't exactly enterprise-level computing. 512 MB of RAM is very doable from a financial standpoint these days and would have helped a lot of things like this.

You sit there and mock us with this "it's just a phone" mentality, but realize that these things are rapidly evolving computers. Four years ago, when somebody wanted to experience full web browsing on a phone, you may have dropped the same line, but then the iPhone came out and proved you could.

512 MB of RAM, it's not a huge deal to do. Step your game up, Apple.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Is it unreasonable to expect, you know, progress to be made on the mobile platform?

Heaven forbid we may want to have 8 tabs open on mobile Safari.

But nope, Apple decided they were going to cheap out on the RAM. Look, nobody is expecting to run Crysis or Autocad on these things this year, but having a bunch of tabs open isn't exactly enterprise-level computing. 512 MB of RAM is very doable from a financial standpoint these days and would have helped a lot of things like this.

You sit there and mock us with this "it's just a phone" mentality, but realize that these things are rapidly evolving computers. Four years ago, when somebody wanted to experience full web browsing on a phone, you may have dropped the same line, but then the iPhone came out and proved you could.

512 MB of RAM, it's not a huge deal to do. Step your game up, Apple.

we are not speaking about 512 mb, or 1 Gb or 4 Gb on a phone ...

we are speaking about people like you whining about everything Apple does. If they'll put 512 mb on the iPhone (like last rumors says), well, someone will say that 8 tabs isn't enough, they want to open at least 12 ... and so on ...

Like it or not, iPhone is "just a phone", with a 3.5" display. And asking for 8 open tabs is DEFINITELY NOT "NORMAL USE" for a mobile phone. It' s a different matter for the iPad.

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
we are speaking about people like you whining about everything Apple does.

Don't throw up your straw man arguments here. I love Apple, I love just about everything they do. This is an instance where they may be cheaping out on something that isn't unreasonable based on the competitive marketplace. If it is about me complaining about "everything" Apple does, it is as much about you defending Apple for everything they do, even when they do mess up.

If they'll put 512 mb on the iPhone (like last rumors says), well, someone will say that 8 tabs isn't enough, they want to open at least 12 ... and so on ...

Releasing new products is about reducing limitations and expanding things they can do. 8 tabs is better than 4 tabs, that is an improvement. So while, yes, there will still be people who wanted more, at least they have improved the quality of the iPhone experience for a lot of people that just wanted 8 tabs open.

Like it or not, iPhone is "just a phone",

No it's not. A phone is something used to make telephone calls. I hardly use my mobile devices for phonecalls these days, maybe only 40 minutes a month. I use it far more for email, text messaging, web browsing, maps and appointments than I do talking. And I believe data usage just passed voice usage in the US on mobile devices. So, no, it is no longer "just a phone" just because you say it is.

with a 3.5" display. And asking for 8 open tabs is DEFINITELY NOT "NORMAL USE" for a mobile phone. It' s a different matter for the iPad.

Why, though? Why shouldn't it be normal use? If I want to have 8 tabs open on a desktop, or iPad, or iPhone, why should we place arbitrary limitations on it? I think the goal is to try to make mobile devices as powerful as possible so we can do a lot of the things we like doing at home. That is what innovation is about. And the screen size thing gives me more reasons to want to have more tabs open.

I frankly find your arguments here to be very poorly thought out and rigid. I am not asking for much, just bumping up RAM to something a lot of competitors have, which will improve the user experience.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Don't throw up your straw man arguments here. I love Apple, I love just about everything they do. This is an instance where they may be cheaping out on something that isn't unreasonable based on the competitive marketplace. If it is about me complaining about "everything" Apple does, it is as much about you defending Apple for everything they do, even when they do mess up.

I beg your pardon: I wasn't speaking literally about YOU. I was speaking about people whining about everything Apple does around here ...

Releasing new products is about reducing limitations and expanding things they can do. 8 tabs is better than 4 tabs, that is an improvement. So while, yes, there will still be people who wanted more, at least they have improved the quality of the iPhone experience for a lot of people that just wanted 8 tabs open.

Apple cannot release the "perfect phone": they have to find a compromise in some fields. 8 tabs (or 6, or 12) could be a factor for someone, but it isn't considered "normal usage" in a mobile phone ...

No it's not. A phone is something used to make telephone calls. I hardly use my mobile devices for phonecalls these days, maybe only 40 minutes a month. I use it far more for email, text messaging, web browsing, maps and appointments than I do talking. And I believe data usage just passed voice usage in the US on mobile devices. So, no, it is no longer "just a phone" just because you say it is.

the correct definition could be "it's just a SMARTPHONE". BTW, it's not a notebook, not a netbook, not even a tablet, so you have to accept limitations.

Why, though? Why shouldn't it be normal use? If I want to have 8 tabs open on a desktop, or iPad, or iPhone, why should we place arbitrary limitations on it? I think the goal is to try to make mobile devices as powerful as possible so we can do a lot of the things we like doing at home. That is what innovation is about. And the screen size thing gives me more reasons to want to have more tabs open.

it isn't an "arbitrary limitation". They develop the phone to accomplish quite a lot of different tasks, balancing resources. 8 Safari's tabs could be a requirement for you (and others) but it hardly is a common requirement among smartphone users.

I frankly find your arguments here to be very poorly thought out and rigid. I am not asking for much, just bumping up RAM to something a lot of competitors have, which will improve the user experience.

if they are going to use 512 mb in the next iPhone I will be more than pleased, but I'm not going to lose my sleep about that :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.