Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm thinking that multitasking is being introduced and that some Android phones have 512MB of RAM. Yes, most definitely WEAK. This combined with the hideous design looks for another disappointing release.

And Who cares about android ? iPhone os use a totally different multitasking

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Actually yes, yes, 1000 times yes.

Have you tried browsing in Safari on the iPad? Unlike the iPhone, where you can keep about 4+ tabs open at the same time without the device flushing the contents of previous pages, the iPad only gives you one -- maybe two if you've loaded a text-heavy page -- before previous tabs get flushed and you have to reload.

This leads to losing your place, re-reloading pages you've just loaded, and actual content destruction if you are leaving a comment (such as this) and go to another page to check something, etc.

It is, in fact, the only complaint I really have about the iPad.

If the new iPhone operates in this same manner, it's going to be a big step back for the current iPhone browsing experience. Maybe there will be an implementation that makes everything work, but considering the iPad issue and the fact that multi-tasking is coming with 4.0, 256MB is disappointing.

i don't think it is anything to do with the amount of RAM available, as Safari is very buggy on the iPhone/iPad, as text heavy or image heavy pages just shut down Safari, and i can have 6/7 tabs open if they are basic websites, just think that a Safari "5" needs to be released for both Mac OS X and OS iPhone/iPad removing loads of bugs and memory leaks, in addition the bugginess if you are in and out of Wi-Fi Hotspots and 3G is unbelievable

specify

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
i don't think it is anything to do with the amount of RAM available, as Safari is very buggy on the iPhone/iPad, as text heavy or image heavy pages just shut down Safari, and i can have 6/7 tabs open if they are basic websites, just think that a Safari "5" needs to be released for both Mac OS X and OS iPhone/iPad removing loads of bugs and memory leaks, in addition the bugginess if you are in and out of Wi-Fi Hotspots and 3G is unbelievable

It shuts down because there isn't any memory left for those image heavy sites..

mum

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2002
The new design

Funny how the design of the new iPhones absolutely screams Nokia from 2008-2009. Not saying it's a bad thing, the reason Nokia became the biggest phone maker in the world largely lies in their amazing design, which only lately has become so patchy.

scottylans

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
STILL no confirmation on screen resolution?
Would someone give this Vietnamese fellow a bloody message and a decent camera to take a snap?

Trexznl

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2009
The Netherlands
256MB of RAM might be enough for 4.0 to run okay-ish (although I'm seriously doubting that, especially with multi-tasking coming). However people, bear in mind that most people (you know, there are other countries too, other than the US, and most of those countries have 24 month contracts instead of 12 month upgrade eligibility) have to use this phone for two years. That means at least two new OS revisions.

Do you seriously think that 256MB RAM will cut it for OS 6.0, or even OS 5.0? I think not. < I'm afraid the 4G/HD will be a slow turd, just like my 3G is right now, next year.

I'd happily pay $50-$100 more, just for the damn thing to have 512MB.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I'm hopping on the RAM bandwagon, only 256 in this day and age is terrible. 512 should have been an absolute no-brainer. The iPad and this new iPhone could do wonders with 512MB as applications and games are getting bigger and more memory intensive. Remember how 128 used to be "fine" when the iPhone first came out? Now it can't even handle 3.0 without lagging up and 4.0 support will be mediocre (for the 3G that has the same specs).

The EVO kills this thing on paper and $199 price. But it's the OS that really matters and probably the only thing saving this phone from being an embarrassment.

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
256MB of RAM might be enough for 4.0 to run okay-ish (although I'm seriously doubting that, especially with multi-tasking coming). However people, bear in mind that most people (you know, there are other countries too, other than the US, and most of those countries have 24 month contracts instead of 12 month upgrade eligibility) have to use this phone for two years. That means at least two new OS revisions.

Absolutely true. Here in Austria, we don't have stuff like "pay x EUR to get a nice and new iPhone just after one year into your contract".

When you're in a contract, you have that phone for the contract-timeperiod (mostly 2 years), only afterwards you can get a new phone with subsidy.

So another iteration of the iPhone with 256MB for the next two years? That's not "spec-whoring", that's just thinking ahead for 5.0, and that worries me.

E365

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
There is no evidence AT ALL that this is the only iPhone coming. this could EASILY be a base model design, for $99 or free. Then there could be an HD or something with heck, even more resolution, an 8mp camera, 512 MB ram, a gig for all I know, for god's sake, this is MAC RUMOURS! Wait for WWDC.

That's my guess. They kept the 3G and dropped the price to $99 to reach more customers.

With this new one will they keep the 3GS (16GB) and sell that for $99? Or, will there be a $99 base model 4th gen with 256MB RAM and 16GB storage. (I was a bit suprised to see these leaked photos showing a "16GB" model) I was thinking/hoping any new iPhone would be 32GB to start.

My guess:

$99 256MB / 16GB
$199 256MB / 32GB
$299 256MB? / 64GB

All with the same body.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Actually yes, yes, 1000 times yes.

Have you tried browsing in Safari on the iPad? Unlike the iPhone, where you can keep about 4+ tabs open at the same time without the device flushing the contents of previous pages, the iPad only gives you one -- maybe two if you've loaded a text-heavy page -- before previous tabs get flushed and you have to reload.

I actually have trouble going over 2 open tabs on my 3GS iPhone. It can be a pain because I use public transit and regularly pass through no service areas, so I like to "preload" websites (like MacRumors threads) to read ahead of time, maybe with 1-2 backgrounded apps like Engadget or Spotify. Nothing too crazy (haven't tried more than 4 tabs max) yet Safari has crashed numerous times. 256MB made all the difference for streaming music apps via Backgrounder but it doesn't seem to be enough for the above scenario. So yes, I'm one who'd appreciate more RAM and see the difference in my daily use.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
How you people claim the title of expert and spout off lies like you "know" this is prototype without confirmation is beyond me.

How YOU PEOPLE KNOW it's the final product without confirmation is beyond me.

Btw: How is assuming this is a prototype (which is the most logical thought) LYING and stating myself as an expert???

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
No, Android and iPhone OS multitasking is essentially the same

The only similarity that Android and iPhone 4.0 have is the save state feature. Google is not using API's to do specific features, like Apple is doing.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
How you people claim the title of expert and spout off lies like you "know" this is prototype without confirmation is beyond me.

How YOU PEOPLE KNOW it's the final product without confirmation is beyond me.

Apparently Engadget's insiders have confirmed PRO2 = Early prototype.

Which jives with what I've been saying about the "screwless" version. The fact that pics of it were leaked in February backup that this is in fact an earlier model.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/13/new-iphone-in-vietnam-spotted-running-iphone-os-4/

Still, a source has confirmed to us that the markings "N90 PRO2" indicate an older prototype N90 (the Apple codename for the new iPhone), which refers to "Working Prototype 2" and might possibly be easier to enable than the newer, lock tight model Gizmodo obtained.

Edit: Interesting reading http://tumblr.frijole.info/post/531571428/apple-prototypes

(In order of age...based on what I've read)
The Vietnamese unit is a PRO2 - Early Prototype
The TwitPic unit was an EVT
The Gizmodo unit was a DVT
We have yet to see an actual PVT so....who knows what could change?

Edit 2: http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/gizmodo_prototype_iphone

According to several sources (of mine) familiar with the project, “N90” is Apple’s codename for the fourth-generation GSM iPhone, slated for release this June or July. “DVT” stands for “design verification test”, an Apple production milestone. The DVT milestone is very late in the game; based on this, I now believe that this unit very closely, if not exactly, resembles what Apple plans to release.

Dmj3698

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
Not enough ram

I have the iPhone 3gs and with 256 mb of ram is not enough. When you have mutiple web pages (4 to 5) open they reload when going back and forth. Another problem is when you close out web pages there can be a major deley. So if anybody thinks that 256 mb ram is enough they are wrong.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Ugh, so when will 512 Not be enough for you? Not everyone is chasing the latest hardware constantly.. So if they jump to 512... people will code for that and leave all those millions with a 2g, 3G or 3GS further down the line... You'll end up with a two tiered dev platform... Which is almost happening as it is.

its not ALMOST happening, it IS happening. Being led by Apple.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Essentially are the same, calling API's or calling functions from the OS.

No they're not. Android Apps run over a virtual machine for Java apps that are interpreted with JIT coming in 2.2. That's why you need more RAM and processing horsepower to compete against iPhone OS.

Apple's multi-tasking is highly managed and optimized with no runtime virtualization. It's also easier to write iPhone OS multi-threaded code as the frameworks do much of the work for you and allow the OS to efficiently manage all the processes and threads.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
And that test consisted in leaking pictures of the phone and evaluating people's reactions.

Yup, and it was also in their plan to legally persue Engadget and break down the door of Jason Chen.

NOT AN INTENTIONAL LEAK PEOPLE! How hard is this to understand? :confused:

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
its not ALMOST happening, it IS happening. Being led by Apple.

Welcome to progress. It can't be helped and more so is encouraged. Otherwise we'd still have a newton. Apple appears to be on a two year core processor micro-architecture upgrade cycle. First the iPhone and 3G used the same micro-architecture, the 3GS uses an Cortex A8 as it looks like the 2010 iPhone will. It appears that a SoC using the Cortex A9 will be in the 2011 time frame.

There is no reason going forward to believe that the 2011 iPhone needs to come out in June of that year. Competitive pressures as well as improvements of yields at smaller process sizes will drive that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.