Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
I'd be completely shocked if it shipped with seams.

15aiPhone-4G-VN-10.jpg
104y5K.iPhone4G2_noseam.jpg

104p58.131339-c36iPhone-4G-VN-11.jpg
104r6K.iPhone4G.jpg

Akira1980

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
San Diego
screen size = disappointing
ram = disappointing
case design = disappointing

may have to go with the htc evo

You are forgetting the most important part of any modern gadget, the OS. Most consumers doesn't know/care about the hardware specs. They do care about how well the device works and how accessible the features are. (Best example, Nintendo Wii vs PS3 and XBOX360)

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
Apparently Engadget's insiders have confirmed PRO2 = Early prototype.

Which jives with what I've been saying about the "screwless" version. The fact that pics of it were leaked in February backup that this is in fact an earlier model.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/13/new-iphone-in-vietnam-spotted-running-iphone-os-4/

Still, a source has confirmed to us that the markings "N90 PRO2" indicate an older prototype N90 (the Apple codename for the new iPhone), which refers to "Working Prototype 2" and might possibly be easier to enable than the newer, lock tight model Gizmodo obtained.

Edit: Interesting reading http://tumblr.frijole.info/post/531571428/apple-prototypes

(In order of age...based on what I've read)
The Vietnamese unit is a PRO2 - Early Prototype
The TwitPic unit was an EVT
The Gizmodo unit was a DVT
We have yet to see an actual PVT so....who knows what could change?

Edit 2: http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/gizmodo_prototype_iphone

According to several sources (of mine) familiar with the project, “N90” is Apple’s codename for the fourth-generation GSM iPhone, slated for release this June or July. “DVT” stands for “design verification test”, an Apple production milestone. The DVT milestone is very late in the game; based on this, I now believe that this unit very closely, if not exactly, resembles what Apple plans to release.

I would love to get my hopes up that this iPhone was an early prototype and they have now come to their senses, but I would just be setting myself up for disappointment. 256 MB of RAM, welcome to 2010.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It is incredible how people in this forum complain about EVERYTHING Apple does. There is people with thousands of post, always bashing Apple at every single release/refresh of a product. I really don't know what is the reason to sign up on a forum like this if you basically hate Apple and their market policy.
If it is black, they want it white, if it is plastic, they want it metal, if it is heavy, they want it light. This forum should change its name in Mac Whiners Forum ...

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
It is incredible how people in this forum complain about EVERYTHING Apple does. There is people with thousands of post, always bashing Apple at every single release/refresh of a product. I really don't know what is the reason to sign up on a forum like this if you basically hate Apple and their market policy.
If it is black, they want it white, if it is plastic, they want it metal, if it is heavy, they want it light. This forum should change its name in Mac Whiners Forum ...

I think its some sort of complex.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Looks like it'll take a drop much better than previous models. That said, it looks like they sacrificed aesthetic for ease of repair at the Genius bar.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
If it is black, they want it white, if it is plastic, they want it metal, if it is heavy, they want it light. This forum should change its name in Mac Whiners Forum
After that, we can set up a new forum for the whiners who whine about whiners.

It should be called "Whiners about Mac Whiners forum". :D;)

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

You're whining about the whining.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
No they're not. Android Apps run over a virtual machine for Java apps that are interpreted with JIT coming in 2.2. That's why you need more RAM and processing horsepower to compete against iPhone OS.

Apple's multi-tasking is highly managed and optimized with no runtime virtualization. It's also easier to write iPhone OS multi-threaded code as the frameworks do much of the work for you and allow the OS to efficiently manage all the processes and threads.

And this has nothing to do how multitasking work on both platforms, that is essentially the same.

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
And this has nothing to do how multitasking work on both platforms, that is essentially the same.

Um, no...that has everything to do with how multitasking works.

Android is not optimized so in turn it would run slower and less efficiently if it was to be compared to iPhone OS on similar hardware, without any modifications, which is why iPhone does it (or will do it) more seamlessly without all the hassles, whilst Android still does it choppily.

Droid 600mzh compared to 3GS same clock speed and similar architecture, 3GS screams in comparison.

Sad thing is, mods and hacks for Android are only small tweaks that make it extremely fast, while mods for the iPhone are pretty big things that make it extremely slow :(

Sucks.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Um, no...that has everything to do with how multitasking works.

Android is not optimized so in turn it would run slower and less efficiently if it was to be compared to iPhone OS on similar hardware, without any modifications, which is why iPhone does it (or will do it) more seamlessly without all the hassles, whilst Android still does it choppily.

Droid 600mzh compared to 3GS same clock speed and similar architecture, 3GS screams in comparison.

Sad thing is, mods and hacks for Android are only small tweaks that make it extremely fast, while mods for the iPhone are pretty big things that make it extremely slow :(

Sucks.

And I repeat, it has nothing to do. One thing is HOW multitasking is designed (and Android and iPhone ÇOS are very similar designed) and other totally different is how Dalvik VM performs.

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
I'd be completely shocked if it shipped with seams.

15aiPhone-4G-VN-10.jpg
104y5K.iPhone4G2_noseam.jpg

104p58.131339-c36iPhone-4G-VN-11.jpg
104r6K.iPhone4G.jpg

much better!

You are forgetting the most important part of any modern gadget, the OS. Most consumers doesn't know/care about the hardware specs. They do care about how well the device works and how accessible the features are. (Best example, Nintendo Wii vs PS3 and XBOX360)

yea I get that. The os is the reason I left win mobile and came to the iphone. I'd hate to leave the os or all of the music and apps I have purchased from itunes that would be lost

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I have posted this before, the PS3 can use System RAM and VRAM interchangeably. There is a bandwidth penalty for doing so, but it can be done.

There is an huge penalty in doing that, and it is something you definitely don't wanna do. But we are going completely OT ... ;)

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The 256MB RAM are already kind of a problem on the 3GS. When I have eight tabs open in Safari, it constantly flushes them from memory and I have to reload - it drives me crazy! I know people with iPads who only use iCab or Atomic to browse the web because Safari isn't cutting it. This is a problem, people!

The fact that the upcoming iPhone will use last year's processor technology (Cortex A8) and only 256 MB RAM is really, really disappointing. I've invested too much money in Apps to switch to Android, but I'm really pissed at Apple here. Oh well, still going to upgrade for that sweet new design and the front-facing camera.

And do you think having EIGHT tab opened on a mobile phone is something to be considered as "normal" ???
OMG ....

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
FM Radio

I have been searching the sites and forums about the leaked, lost 4g iPhones and was wondering about FM radio. Has anyone found the FM chip in a tear down or description anywhere?

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
256MB of RAM might be enough for 4.0 to run okay-ish (although I'm seriously doubting that, especially with multi-tasking coming). However people, bear in mind that most people (you know, there are other countries too, other than the US, and most of those countries have 24 month contracts instead of 12 month upgrade eligibility) have to use this phone for two years. That means at least two new OS revisions.

Do you seriously think that 256MB RAM will cut it for OS 6.0, or even OS 5.0? I think not. < I'm afraid the 4G/HD will be a slow turd, just like my 3G is right now, next year.

I'd happily pay $50-$100 more, just for the damn thing to have 512MB.

128 MB cuts it on 3.1.3 on my first generation iPod touch. I've had it for over two years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.