Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Stacks was crippled. Resolution independence didn't come to realization.

Microsoft stated the reason Vista was delayed, and then delivered it. Apple stated the reason Leopard was delayed, and then delivered it. Both Vista and Leopard were delayed more than once, with features dropped.

Vista being crap is your opinion, and has no bearing on actual comparisons between the two products. OS X was crap up until 10.3. (Ooh, controversial statement right there.)

I agree, my iMac G4 came with 10.0 installed. It was terrible. 10.3 was a really nice OS and 10.4 and 10.5 have basically worked off that while adding a few new features which make it new :rolleyes:

Wow... I can multitouch my bloated Registry...

Look at the way I can reach out and touch my WGA Activation..

Aaargh.. the DLL's are all over my hands... Must wash hands..

Unless Microsoft fundamentally change their management, design team and strategy.... This is not a current threat.

I dont think I've ever laughed so much at a post before

ImageWrangler

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2007
upstate New York
Wow... I can multitouch my bloated Registry...

Look at the way I can reach out and touch my WGA Activation..

Aaargh.. the DLL's are all over my hands... Must wash hands..

Unless Microsoft fundamentally change their management, design team and strategy.... This is not a current threat.

Hmmm, where are all the Windoze apologists on this thread to rebuff this one? [crickets] No? I thought not.

In the nearly 100 years leading up to Longho..er, Vista, M$ pumped out far more hype than Apple did on blogs and the M$ fanboys ate it up. We in the IT sector were hearing Vista would cure cancer, save unwanted puppies and kittens, and keep tomato sauces from staining white fabric. It was going to revolutionize computing as we know it, so sayeth M$ and Monkey Boy. And what did we get? A DRM crippleware bloated piece of junk with more pricing levels than new house that was, despite what I think I'm reading by the fanboys here, to most people shackled by a PC running it, totally and unequivocally "meh."

Yeah yeah, LOL, the Windoze fanboys "Vista outsold XP..." um, no, get your facts straight, Vista has had more units in the retail channel, including OEM units and installed units on computer which M$ used those figured to cover what in most circles is pretty much a failure to adopt. And many that have did something poor Windoze users never wound up doing with XP... DOWNGRADING to the previous OS.

So fact one: Vista did not, nor has not, outsold XP.

Fact two: M$ spins more FUD, fanboys buy it and rush to M$'s defense, the rest of the world doesn't

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
His point was that Microsoft Surface is still largely a prototype product with nothing shipped to date while the iPhone is an actual product with units shipped to consumers, which is why he was saying "wikipedia that."

Surface is not meant for consumers to begin with. It might have shipped in volume and we wouldn't even know it.

Can you actually name anything?

Um, I actually listed few.

Certainly Stacks' functionality was changed from the demo at Macworld, but I don't think anyone is questioning a software developer's free license to make design changes to their OS.

Unless it's Microsoft, right?

There's no use in nitpicking things to try and come up for a comparison with what is complete feature removal like was necessary with Longhorn/Vista to get it out even as late as it was. I'm sure there are some other things, but I'm sure you'll excuse me for not having a perfect memory for boding on every little change.

I already listed features that were mentioned as part of Leopard feature-set, yet were not present in the final shipping product.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
lulz. this is still 2 / 3 years away and would require anyone to use these features to buy new hardware. hardly innovative and it's hardly page 1 news worthy.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
As much as I don't-think-Vista-is-that-bad, I really doubt it's outselling XP in any important way. Bullying OEMs into including it doesn't count, especially given how many customers send it straight back to be downgraded (which costs time and therefore costs MS money), but you can bet that's what they're using for any sales figures.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I believe that I don't give a flying what you use at home or work and that as you are prepared to waste more of your time than mine defending the indefensible, and you also use emoticons to prop up an argument, I'm off to bed

The "defending" we are talking about is just shooting down absurd BS that is being repeated as fact in this thread. There are plenty of negative stuff to say about Microsoft, we don't have to invent new BS for that.

Should I just sit silently when someone says utter BS about Windows? Apparently I do, since if I tried to correct that BS, it just means that I'm a "Windows-fanboy" or some other crap like that. Why do we have to resort to hyperbole and lies in order to justify our OS X-use? If I disagree with some of the most absurd rhetoric said about Windows, it just means I'm a Windows-fanboy? Is that how it works?

There are couple of points here.

"First one being: It's wrong for Microsoft to increase hardware-requirements for their OS, but it's NOT wrong for Apple to do the exact same thing".

First of all, anyone with a computer more than 3 years old is not in a position to assume full support from new commercial software (from Microsoft or Apple).

But in case of Microsoft, that's bad. In case of Apple, it's 100% acceptable.

Secondly, Vista is bloated and runs worse on same hardware compared to XP.

So?

So what Microsoft basically did was an engineering failure. What Apple did by cutting out the old hardware was by choice.

So, it's bad when MS increases hardware-requirements, but it's good when Apple does the exact same thing? Gotcha. Hell, according to you, Apple doesn't even have any technical reason for upping those requirement, they are just doing it because they want more of your money! And you are defending them for that!

No double-standards here! No sirree!

And in case you did not know, they have already announced OS X 10.6 will not support G5.

And if MS announced tomorrow that Windows 7 will not support Pentium 3, you would be up in arms about it.

Of course there are those who think this kind of behaviour from Apple is not acceptable but I for one welcome the future not the past.

And Microsoft does the same, you bitch and moan.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Touch

Only if they ship now.

By 2010 (+ standard slip) multi-touch will be common-place and so not exactly contributing to wow factor.

As if Apple is going to sit on their asses for the next 5+ years. I do look forward to Windows 7, Windows Tablet+cart on wheels......

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
Vista isn't a colossal failure. It's actually selling better than XP. And corporations aren't supposed to be talking about their next products?

It's not how early they begin to talk about the next version, but how soon they start to talk about that next version almost immediately after releasing a major new version.

I doubt you will hear anything about the next version of OS X for at least a year.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Surface is not meant for consumers to begin with. It might have shipped in volume and we wouldn't even know it.

You cannot assume the positive just because it hasn't been shown NOT to be true - that's a logical fallacy. In any case, the point is that whoever the original poster of that comment was that I'm trying to clarify is this: iPhone is in the hands of its intended users, and Surface is not. That's it...I'm not trying to make some bigger point about the subject.

Um, I actually listed few.

Unless it's Microsoft, right?

I already listed features that were mentioned as part of Leopard feature-set, yet were not present in the final shipping product.

I'm sorry for not reading, in detail, the entire 6-page thread. I did go through and read most of it, and Stacks was the one complaint I noticed.

I never claimed a double standard. Microsoft is certainly free to make design decisions after demoing a product, and people do not (for the most part) complain about those things. What people are complaining about when they mention "missing features" are not simply changes in implementation but COMPLETE REMOVAL of core features that were making the product what it was. I would never claim that either company, Apple or Microsoft, is in the right for removing complete features that were announced and much less demoed.

I picked up a Vista license from the CIO office on campus and tested it out in a mission critical environment (bugs or failures would have/did lead to problems with work I was using Windows for on my MBP) just so I would have some basis to talk about it from, and I encountered no end of problems that a typical user would be completely bewildered about when attempting to perform actions as simple as moving files around. Indeed, I noticed many of my peers on campus that have the exact same problems I noticed since our CIO dept. made the poor choice to "upgrade" to Vista on all newly purchased laptops so soon. Now I'm not going to claim to be the power user to end all power users because I'm not but I have much more technical knowhow that the typical, everyday user (even in a technologically oriented engineering school such as mine) could ever be expected to have and I say Vista is not even worth the $20 I paid for my media, much less the $300+ or whatever ridiculous price the regular end-user price is now. I'm just glad I had the foresight to make a clone of my SP2 environment before I tried "upgrading."

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Note to you: It may have escaped you but Apple is primarely a hardware company. Services (iTunes) come next and then software.

The specs for Leo were upped because of two reasons:
1) To sell more hardware
2) To save on software development (being able to cut really old hardware out)

Try and get your head around those facts. You winboys are really starting to look like douches commenting here based on random observations and feelings. :D

Since you are arguing against comments I haven't made I think it's useless to continue this. :apple:
Whaaa? :confused:

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
iPhone is in the hands of its intended users, and Surface is not.

Do you know that for sure?

I'm sorry for not reading, in detail, the entire 6-page thread.

I listed those features in the very same message you quoted....

I did go through and read most of it, and Stacks was the one complaint I noticed.

And wireless TimeMachine, and deep-sleeping OS X while booting to Windows, and resolution independence, and some photobooth-effects in iChat, and continuous backups with timeMachine...

What people are complaining about when they mention "missing features" are not simply changes in implementation but COMPLETE REMOVAL of core features that were making the product what it was.

And we ARE talking about features like that here.

I would never claim that either company, Apple or Microsoft, is in the right for removing complete features that were announced and much less demoed.

And Apple has done that.

I picked up a Vista license from the CIO office on campus and tested it out in a mission critical environment (bugs or failures would have/did lead to problems with work I was using Windows for on my MBP) just so I would have some basis to talk about it from, and I encountered no end of problems that a typical user would be completely bewildered about when attempting to perform actions as simple as moving files around. Indeed, I noticed many of my peers on campus that have the exact same problems I noticed since our CIO dept. made the poor choice to "upgrade" to Vista on all newly purchased laptops so soon. Now I'm not going to claim to be the power user to end all power users because I'm not but I have much more technical knowhow that the typical, everyday user (even in a technologically oriented engineering school such as mine) could ever be expected to have and I say Vista is not even worth the $20 I paid for my media, much less the $300+ or whatever ridiculous price the regular end-user price is now. I'm just glad I had the foresight to make a clone of my SP2 environment before I tried "upgrading."

And this is relevant to the discussion.... how? I don't think I have made any claims about Vista being a good OS. I think it's crap.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
A friend of mine worked on the user experience design of Vista in its early stages. He described the process as hopelessly moribund due to its size and the structure at Microsoft. I saw the original interface for Vista, and what ended up going to market bore no resemblance whatsoever to the early (and FAR superior) prototypes.

Doubtful that any features in an OS this early on will even make it into the final candidate.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
The mouse is not dead. Touch technology is still in its infancy and has many, many flaws that need to be overcome. Touch technology will ultimately mature and replace the mouse, but it will still take a long while before this happens.

the touch capabilities on the iphone are great. I have seen the microsoft demos of their touch stuff. they are pretty cool.

But, I think that the mouse and keyboard are going to be around for a LONG time. I can type much faster than I can write, with a pencil or finger. And as screens are getting larger, who wants to move their entire arm around on the screen to tap and drag? It will get really tiring. Have you seen how fat and out of shape a lot of us are?

The mouse/trackball/trackpad/etc. is perfect for this task. Also if a laptop had a touch screen and a keyboard up at the same time, you have to hold your arm up to track the screen with your fingers. A pretty uncomfortable way do it. My fingers can go from the screen to the trackpad with very little effort.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Yea I bet apple isn't working on anything for their OS.

Windows 7 better come out fast because no one likes Vista. It's coming out in 2010? More like 2100 at the rate Vista came out at, and they didn't even do a good job.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2005
This thread is hilarious. This site is getting worse and worse. I've never even owned a windows box, but even I agree with most of the pro-windows statements made here (especially the guy who said Apple doesn't make new software compatible with older OS's - my flatmate once couldn't get an airport express to work on a year old powermac G5 cos he hadn't bought panther and I remember having to upgrade to tiger for something equally ridiculous; Windows contrastingly supports far more for far longer, provided it wasn't formatted on a Mac...). It's unbelievable how many of you think that anybody who posts on these forums about how Apple's guilty of a lot of what MS are assumed to be Windows fanboys (or even employees) with some kind of agenda.

Newsflash people: There is nobody dedicated enough to upholding the ubiquity of the Windows platform as to troll Macrumors! There are no Windows fans, the way there are Apple fans. My favourite are those of you who spell it Micro$oft whilst Apple's execs have been embroiled in an options backdating scandal that contrasts somewhat with Bill Gates' decision to give away most of his money to charity and relinquish his position as the richest man in the world.

What interests me most about this article is that Windows is rebranding back towards version numbers (another example of Windows copying apple according to someone in this thread). I wonder what constitutes full version increments since 3.1?

I'm guessing 95, XP and Vista, or 95, 98 and XP, but I don't have a clue. With so many dud OS's (2000, ME, Vista...), I would like to know which ones MS thought constituted a big enough overhaul to give them a new number? I realize that I'm probably asking in the wrong place, but does anyone know?

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
My favourite are those of you who spell it Micro$oft whilst Apple's execs have been embroiled in an options backdating scandal that contrasts somewhat with Bill Gates' decision to give away most of his money to charity and relinquish his position as the richest man in the world.

Meh! of the day.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
This thread is hilarious. This site is getting worse and worse.
I didn't even bother to read the thread, as I knew it would simply be a call to arms for people who associated their personal values as human beings with...operating systems for inanimate machines.

What interests me most about this article is that Windows is rebranding back towards version numbers (another example of Windows copying apple according to someone in this thread). I wonder what constitutes full version increments since 3.1?

...I would like to know which ones MS thought constituted a big enough overhaul to give them a new number? I realize that I'm probably asking in the wrong place, but does anyone know?

Every major Microsoft release has had a version number. You can look this up on Wikipedia. They simply haven't called the OSes by those names in marketing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.