Next Year's iPhones to Include 4.7" LCD Model With Single Camera, 5.5" LCD and OLED Models With Dual Cameras

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 15, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple will release a trio of new iPhones next year, according to a new research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo believes Apple will launch a 4.7-inch model with a single-lens camera and LCD display, 5.5-inch model with a dual-lens camera and LCD display, and an all-new OLED model with a dual-lens camera in 2017.
    Kuo did not specify the display size for the all-new OLED model, expected to be positioned as the premium model in next year's iPhone lineup, but he previously said Apple will launch a 5.8-inch iPhone with a curved OLED display and glass casing next year. Barclays analysts also recently said Apple will release a 5-inch LCD iPhone and 5.8-inch OLED iPhone, both with curved, bezel-free designs, next year.

Japanese website Nikkei likewise said Apple will release three new glass-backed iPhones next year, including 4.7-inch, 5-inch, and 5.5-inch sizes. The report reiterated that one of those iPhones will be a premium model with a curved edge-to-edge OLED display to be sold alongside two models that have standard LCD displays. Barclays analysts said that model's screen will be extended "vertically as well as horizontally."

Article Link: Next Year's iPhones to Include 4.7" LCD Model With Single Camera, 5.5" LCD and OLED Models With Dual Cameras

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Product Line-up is now a huge mess.

In fact, it's like how Apple was before Steve Job's return

3. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

First an article about non-removable SSD's and now an article about fragmented iPhones...
    MR is just trolling. :p:D

4. dannyyankou macrumors 604

dannyyankou

Did the iPhone 7 plus pro ever get announced? I'm taking all these rumors with a grain of salt.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Haven't we heard this all before..? One 4.7" iPhone and two 5.5" iPhones, except that time it was one with a dual and one with a single camera..?

It's all a guessing game this early on.

6. iHack13 macrumors regular

iHack13

An analyst's job. Throw in some confusing predictions. Something will hit eventually.
    And they go like "Hah! See! I knew it!"

7. kevinkyoo macrumors 6502a

kevinkyoo

I liked Google's approach - besides battery life and screen size, the Pixels are essentially the same.

8. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Ming-Chi Kuo is more accurate than anyone else on earth who makes predictions about Apple products.

That's why I'm disappointed to see that no 4-inch iPhone is mentioned in this prediction. This is disappointing considering that Kuo also predicted that the iPhone SE would not be updated next year.

9. yanksfan114 macrumors 6502

I don't see the benefit of using two different display technologies. Are OLED displays really that much more expensive than LCD?

10. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

I don't want a TV, but still want a dual camera... 4" & 4.7" with dual camera are a good idea, cuz I may not skip next iPhone just like I AM skipping the current...

11. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Some stuff may happen, some stuff may not happen.... I'm an analyst.

12. KeyMs92 macrumors regular

I'll probably wait for the 2025 iPhone SE with dual lens and OLED.

13. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Just waiting on that edge to edge display. Hope they keep the present size and make the screen size bigger. :)

14. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Nope. Apple is not going to do this. Remember the 3 different model rumors from this year for the iPhone 7. How did that workout.

15. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Here's hoping they finally get rid of the "lens bump." I would rather have a thicker phone (perhaps with a bigger battery) that has a flat back surface instead of the bump from the lenses. I prefer to go caseless with my phone.

16. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

Doens’t seem that much of a mess.

4.7” LCD
    5.5” LCD
    5.5” OLED

The thing I find disapointing is the physical size of the device seemingly dictates the feature set, with the larger devices getting the better, more advanced features (dual lens camera, OLED).

Many people want high end features, but are not interested in a larger physical form factor.

17. kylelerner macrumors member

kylelerner

I heard it comes preinstalled with iOS Lion - to represent all the courage that went into creating it.

18. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

"Apple engineers have invented a screen that uses less battery power because only the pixels that need to be on are on. The retina Super HD screen introduces vivid colors like never before, its practically magical."

19. ThaRuler macrumors regular

ThaRuler

It's scary to think how much the OLED version will cost:oops:

20. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

macpro2000

Amen.

21. Appleaker macrumors 68020

More fragmentation. Tim Cook really is abandoning products for numbers more than ever now.

22. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

23. lordofthereef, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If this is true, no doubt oled come with a more premium price tag.

I can put it next to the $300 book of Apple product pictures Apple is selling.

*Sigh*

24. satchmo macrumors 68000

Have we ever seen Ming-Chi Kuo and Arnold Kim in the same room together? Hmm...;)

25. Appleaker macrumors 68020

At least the sizes seem to be more realistic compared to other rumors.