Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
A pretty good job but NOT the most accurate either. Remember this testing is based on a fairly clean slate. We dont know exactly what is running in the background when they do these tests or what they have disabled.

Anandtech and GSMARena claimed over 10+ Wi-Fi browsing with the One and all I get is about 5 hr screen time browsing. This is with many bloatware apps disabled. Even with a static wallpaper, I still get 18-20% drainage per hour on Wi-Fi. And I dont use FB app either. Texting mostly or lower res videos is abt 6-7 hrs screen time. Play 1080p, and it drains faster. I never trust it because it varies with the actual user's usage.

You got to understand when they do browsing tests, they probably just have the browser open and do nothing but stay in the browser until the phone dies. When other people use their phones, that's not how we do it. That is why I said earlier that seeing a combination of these results can give a good idea towards battery life. Their results for the Nexus 4 show crap battery, and that is exactly what I get.

----------

I don't think it is just a CDMA version. That link says it will be announced next month, but there were already references to Android 4.4 with the phone. No way can a manufacturer release a phone with the newest version at the same time Google announces it.

Plus the FCC filing showed pictures completely different from the G2. Different design, different buttons, and different camera placement. Plus this design matches up with the unknown phone in Google's video. I think they are wrong on this one.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I agree. Why introduce a phone with certain features and then release a totally different one for just one carrier

And I'm no expert regarding cell radio frequencies but I thought those on the FCC device were compatible with T Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint, thus the CDMA capabilities that were identified. Why make a completely different device that's purportedly for CDMA but also add compatibility with the other major US carriers (and European carriers)? Also, the Verizon version supposedly still has the buttons on the back--the FCC model did not. Just doesn't add up. I think evleaks is not even close on this one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Woah, coming from Evleaks, that should be pretty legit.

But TB is also right to say something doesn't add up.

And didn't the FCC filing have code names that were distinctly Nexus? Like fish-code names or something? Didn't it also reference Key Lime Pie (not KitKat, I guess)? Why would it have KLP when it's not even official, not even the right name?

Bizarre.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Woah, coming from Evleaks, that should be pretty legit.

But TB is also right to say something doesn't add up.

And didn't the FCC filing have code names that were distinctly Nexus? Like fish-code names or something? Didn't it also reference Key Lime Pie (not KitKat, I guess)? Why would it have KLP when it's not even official, not even the right name?

Bizarre.

I mentioned it earlier, but yes, it did have references to key lime pie. There are also a lot of design differences that don't add up to it being another G2. But the FCC designs do fit nicely with the Google video.

Goratrix

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
Didn't it also reference Key Lime Pie (not KitKat, I guess)? Why would it have KLP when it's not even official, not even the right name?

Google has been using the Key Lime Pie codename internally for the past few months, to keep the KitKat deal secret, so it makes sense that the Nexus 5 files would be named like that.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Google has been using the Key Lime Pie codename internally for the past few months, to keep the KitKat deal secret, so it makes sense that the Nexus 5 files would be named like that.

Right, which makes me believe the device that went through the FCC is a Nexus device. Good clarification, though.

Guess time will tell.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Right, which makes me believe the device that went through the FCC is a Nexus device. Good clarification, though.

Guess time will tell.

Plus the FCC pictures match up nicely with the device shown in the Kit Kat video, right? The pictures didn't look like a G2 to me.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Plus the FCC pictures match up nicely with the device shown in the Kit Kat video, right? The pictures didn't look like a G2 to me.

Yeah.

I read somewhere (forgot where) that Evleaks might have made an honest mistake. Cause the model that went through the FCC (aka the "Nexus 5") is something like DG-801 while another device that also recently went through the FCC (which looks way more like the CDMA variant of the G2) is something like DG-802.

So the theory is that Evleaks just mixed up the two.

But, again, Evleaks has been nearly right all the time with his leaks/info via twitter. So it really throws the Nexus 5 back into the dark. I'm really hoping the Nexus 5 rumors play out. Let me share with y'all again how beautiful this could be:

9bhr.jpg

v7yp.jpg

Please!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
In light of all the iPhone news, perhaps Google might want to "leak" some Nexus 5 rumors, maybe, perhaps, why not?

2351706-z.jpg

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
In light of all the iPhone news, perhaps Google might want to "leak" some Nexus 5 rumors, maybe, perhaps, why not?

Haha they will definitely wait for the Apple news to die down. Thats why nothing else substantial happened in the tech world today. Nobody wanted their news to get lost.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah.

I read somewhere (forgot where) that Evleaks might have made an honest mistake. Cause the model that went through the FCC (aka the "Nexus 5") is something like DG-801 while another device that also recently went through the FCC (which looks way more like the CDMA variant of the G2) is something like DG-802.

So the theory is that Evleaks just mixed up the two.

But, again, Evleaks has been nearly right all the time with his leaks/info via twitter. So it really throws the Nexus 5 back into the dark. I'm really hoping the Nexus 5 rumors play out. Let me share with y'all again how beautiful this could be:

Please!

I am drooling on my keyboard! I love that matte back

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Glad he corrected his mistake. But I always had a feeling it was the Nexus 5. Too many things just didn't add up.

And if anything, the close internal number from LG tell us it is indeed based on the G2.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Woah, candy. It's a bit rough but I assume it's an early prototype.

The good news is, it looks like it will have the same Nexus 7 back. I hope so.

Looking more and more sexy. That stealth look is so cool. I only wish it were Note-size, or that they had that alternative too...but, I know that's not realistic. :eek:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Woah, candy. It's a bit rough but I assume it's an early prototype.

The good news is, it looks like it will have the same Nexus 7 back. I hope so.

Looks an awful lot like many of the renders people have been making. I personally like the soft touch feel/design of the Nexus 7 as well, so mimicking that would be alright in my book.

And I realize it's only a prototype but did anyone else notice that the rear panel in the final photo was coming up in the corner, with attachment 'tabs' (sorry, not sure exactly what you'd call them) inside similar to those you'd find on a Samsung removable rear panel?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Looks an awful lot like many of the renders people have been making. I personally like the soft touch feel/design of the Nexus 7 as well, so mimicking that would be alright in my book.

And I realize it's only a prototype but did anyone else notice that the rear panel in the final photo was coming up in the corner, with attachment 'tabs' (sorry, not sure exactly what you'd call them) inside similar to those you'd find on a Samsung removable rear panel?

Good eye. Very interesting.

I am indifferent to removable backs. If it's removable or not, doesn't matter to me. I'd have to assume it's not removable, though. Prototype maybe got ding-ed up?

----------

The slot at the top of the device, a lot of people are predicting IR blaster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.