Nexus S/ thoughts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple..., Nov 11, 2010.

1. Apple..., Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/is-this-the-nexus-s/

I don't get all the Android phones coming out... that's asking for a world of hurt. Verizon's already released 5 phones just this week! Personally, I feel Android will become the new dumb-phone OS, but will also exist on the high-end as well. 5 different app stores (and counting), custom skins, varying hardware, etc. etc. Ugh is all I can think of. What has Google done? "Completely open" doesn't sound good anymore...

Side-note: While I'm at it, I agree with some analysts when they say they're will be a top three. My bet is iOS, Android, and either Palm WebOS or WP7. Thoughts?

Edit: Engadget just keeps coming today - http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/11/this-is-the-nexus-s/

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's one of the things I hate about Android. One day you buy the best, greatest and latest Android on the market, and then a week later, your phone becomes inferior to some other Android.

As someone said before, Android's 'openess' is going to be the downfull of Android. Carriers/Manufacturers are already installing all of their own bloatware and stuff like that.

3. tastychicken macrumors member

This would be a phone i would get if it just comes with stock android and none of the touchwiz stuff found on other Galaxy S phones. The problem I have with phones from HTC, Samsung, etc, is you have to wait for the manufacturer to release the next update. You can't get it directly from google. If this follows the same model as the Nexus one, whenever there is a new release, you would be the first to get it.

4. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

I'm pretty sure it's stock, as long as you're fine with T-Mobile... :D

5. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I must be missing something here - normally people want choices. If Apple came out with a 128 GB iPhone tomorrow there would be people lining up to buy it in the thousands. As for bloatware, if you are concerned about it you can just root the phone and remove what you don't want.

You are fooling yourself if you think that by only shopping iPhone and having the latest version then you have a top of the line model until the next one comes out. You might have the best iPhone, but not necessarily the best phone available.

I've been happy with my Epic and wasn't bothered by the few extras Sprint put in there. I also like Samsung's TouchWiz. You also don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. Mine will work just fine for my contract.

6. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Yes I do - I have the top of the line iPhone. Not Android (or anything else for that matter). I don't like Android. Does having the best spec-ed phone really matter? Besides, the iPhone's hardware is always top notch (compared to the competition) until a few months before the next generation is set to release.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Blockbuster app.....nuff said. Not carrier or manufacturer but you know of what I speak.

8. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Not always, and you'll see it shrink even more as the competition catches up. They'll stay ahead of the game with other features/integration. I'm not talking about the BS features Apple with tout as a first like Facetime.

Best spec-ed anything matters - cars / computers / phones / stereos / vacuum cleaners you name it. You talk phones with people and they want the best processors/ram/apps/features. So yes it does matter to a lot of people. Just look at half of the topics on this site. I myself don't have a problem with not having the best as I usually try and buy a top of the line that will last a while for what I need. But if you only care about iPhone then it doesn't really matter.

9. naths, Nov 11, 2010

naths macrumors 6502

Actually if your phone is unbranded you dont have to wait untill the carrier decides to release the update....im on vodafone and bought a sim-free HTC Desire HD...great phone,and HTC sense is a great add-on(for once),doesnt bloat the phone in any way and HTC have only added on useful stuff...weather widgets,HTC toggles...etc...when froyo came out i had the original Desire and after 7-10 days after nexus 1 owners had so did we..as long as it was unbranded...Vodafone caught a massive cold with their release of froyo,adding on loads of crap....motto is buy unbranded...;),that way when gingerbread comes out it will be on the HD very quickly,and not all phones will be capable of running gingerbread,so that puts top specced android phones apart from the cheaper ones,who cant even run 2.1!!....i think a minimum of a 1ghz processor is required for g/bread....so obviously the new nexus will have at least that...rumours of a 1.5ghz..are riff!!!...bloody hell not so long ago computers didnt have that!!!!...crazy this technology...so although we all harp on about anroid v iphone ios...we all benefit....long may it continue....

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Right?! You buy this device that has Blockbuster installed years after they are out of business. Maybe I could just tattoo Blockbuster on my arm to get a free Android.

11. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

This Google's second "Google Phone", the NexusOne being the first.

What do you not get? Google isn't a hardware company, they are a software company. The more phones that run their operating system, then the more software they can sell and/or license to users and carriers.

They can afford to let the manufacturers worry about hardware sales.

The reason that there are eleventy-eight android phones out there is because Google realizes that different people like different things and that a multitude of handsets from different manufacturers will give them a broader customer base.

If you like iOS, then you have exactly one (or maybe two) models to choose from. The current one and the last one. Apple redesigns the look every 2 or 3 years.... and if you don't like them them, well.... tough cookies! Uncle Steve is calling the shots.

As for top OS'.... Android is already in 2nd place. iOS has its fans, but i would say that a good 15%-20% of iPhone users will defect to another OS (Android, WP7, WebOS or Blackberry) once it is time to upgrade and the iPhone isn't the 'hip' phone anymore.

12. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Buying a carrier-locked phone makes absolutely no sense to me... I mean isn't the big benefit of Android supposed to be that it is "Open"?

I shelved my Nexus One in favor of the iP4, but I do look forward to at least trying Gingerbread.

13. brendu macrumors 68020

until I got an iPhone a couple weeks ago, I was looking to replace my Pre with an Evo or Epic. I decided against it because I dont want to wait on HTC / Samsung / Sprint to get updates (if ever). Its just not worth signing a 2 year contract on a phone that has huge delays on software updates. The nexus 2 will eliminate that problem. If I hadn't gotten the iPhone, I would be considering this. I like how frequently google sends out updates but like others have said before, the android market is a complete mess and now there are so many individual markets on android its just crazy. I dont like how apple is so controlling over their stuff but I will say that at least it keeps things simple and efficient. Also I like knowing that during my 2 year contract I will be able to run all of the software apple puts out without waiting.

14. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Nexus phones will always be on top of other Android phones for two reasons: they run stock Android and they have an unlockable bootloader.

So, they get all the upgrades right away, and you can root them and install custom ROMs to your heart's content without hacking the crap out of it with each new update, and you will actually get each new update on time.

This is geek heaven. I'm about ready to put my iPhone on eBay.

15. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I find Andriod, itself, to be a nice system. What sucks is the skins everyone is putting on them. Everyone can rag on iOS being a walled garden but WP7 is the same now. Android's freedom has limited users experiances simply because the carreiers are all doing what they think is better, or makers likes HTC. I like the Sense UI but it slows down upgradablity. No need for that. I sure hope its only three OS's:

iOS, WebOS (if HP doenst mess it up with hardware) and Andriod.

I really hope the Nexus S and any other Nexus is the top selling Andriod phone. It'll make competetion with iOS better and that is always good for comsumers.

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

First off Android isn't in second place Symbian still in 1st then Blackberry then iOS then its either Android or Windows mobile. Android had the second highest selling quarter but overall market share it's still smaller than everyone else.

Second who are you to predict that 15-20% of iPhone users are going to leave the iPhone? There has been studies showing in the US if the iPhone were to go to other carriers a larger percentage of people would get the iPhone, and what's with this "hip" phone your talking about? When people talk like that they just show there insecurity. Did you ever think the people that get the iPhone is because they like how the iPhone or iOS?

IMO that Nexus S phone looks great best looking Android phone yet.

17. Apple..., Nov 11, 2010

Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

Exactly.

Oh, no! It's the troll! :eek: Trying to barricade himself into his own little world - again. :p Since when does Google sell Android? They don't. It's free and anyone can use it. Tough cookies? I like what I have, thank you very much. "Uncle" Steve may be calling the shots, but at least I'm enjoying what he's put out so far (and so are many others). Your last point also proves that you're trying to comfort yourself even more - iOS and Android aren't going anywhere, anytime soon, bud. Wake up already! Stop wasting your time on the Mac-Rumors forums and default somewhere else.

What can I say? Android is for geeks. ;)

18. jrodsep, Nov 11, 2010

jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

I actually like it. And I might get one if they would release a AT&T 3G version. But by the look of things it might be T-Mob 3G only...so I will stay with my iP4.

@Tarzanman iOS and Android ARE the stronger OS's right now. I know that Android has gained "some" ground (or surpassed depending who you ask) on iOS but consider this, Android has done it by releasing dozens and dozens of different hardware/software configuration. Just this week Verizon has launched/announced 3 or 4 different android devices. Apple only releases 1 or 2 models annually (taking into account different HDD sizes as different models). So Apple has done with 10 models what it takes Android to do with over 50 devices released so far.

19. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Nexus One is alot better look wise. Why couldn't they tweak the N1 a little. That plastic glossy ish needs to go.

20. Savor Suspended

Savor

I'm glad Google tries to brand their own phones with other manufacturers and use the phone in the beginning of each year as its benchmark for others to follow. Plus, you get all the updates first. I also like that Best Buy can help sell them vs online only from the Nexus One. As others said, people want choices. The best phone for YOU is the one that fits your needs. Problem is there is no phone to rule all because everybody is fickle or thinks differently.

BTW, I still think the Nexus One looks better, but this NS isn't bad. I like the suede feel of the N1 and also don't like the plastic materials Samsung likes to use. I have the CubeDesktop in my laptop and actually have Android and Nexus One as one of wallpapers along with an iPhone 4. Heck, my main browser now is Chrome with the Android robot theme. I tend to like all competitors. I never get caught up into these fanboy wars or get insecure about anything. Still waiting on the Nintendo 3DS, PSP 2, and PSP phone. I plan to get them all on launch.

21. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Dude, you're nuts. Apple was the first on the market with a 1 year head start... or maybe even a 2 year head start if you count the time it took for Android to mature until it was a suitable alternative to iOS (Motorola Droid in November 2009).

Android 1.6 (Donut in September 2009) was on par with iOS 3.0 in terms of features, but ever since Android 2.1 came out (Eclair, in October 2009)... iOS has lagged behind. No voice search, no widgets, no tethering (added in 4.0), no voice-to-text, no live backgrounds.

I, like other people, expected iphone4/iOS 4.0 to leapfrog Android 2.1, but it didn't happen. Most of iOS 4.0's new features was already available/old tech on other phones (video chat, tethering, limited multi-tasking, etc).

It is hard for me to see Apple keeping up. The iphone does more than enough for the average user, but the same people who had to have the latest, greatest thing back in 2007 when the iPhone first came out (it was $600 if I remember correctly), are probably scratching their heads now and wondering if they might get more for their buck with a different platform.

Could Apple do it if they wanted to? Yes. Will they? I doubt it. Uncle Steve is probably gambling on mutli-carrier availability to help grow their user base. They are only now starting to treat devs with a little more respect since now they stand to lose them to the Android Market or the WP7 market.

Don't get me wrong. iOS 4 is still good enough to compete, but they are steadily losing ground as Android competes with itself releasing devices every 2 months and Google keeps packing more into the OS.

The one thing iPhone still has is the retina display, but when the 1280x760 Android devices come out, iPhone will be the same or weaker in every category.

22. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

What's the use of a widget? it clutters up the screen. I don't like it. Sucks up battery. Looks ugly. and many apps have push.

Not everyone likes widgets. It's not Apple's way. I wouldn't say Android is ahead because it has Widgets. If you like widgets, don't get Apple. It's a choice.

Vlingo

Seriously. What are you going to do with a live background.

Because Apple wanted to do it Apple way. Which means, to them, do it better.

Sure, I had tethering in my Blackberry forever. Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to set up tethering? Setting up dial up connections and all this crap.

Video Chat: How successful was video calling before Facetime?

milti-tasking= Done the right way without letting apps do what they want to crashing your phone and killing your battery. I don't find the Multi-tasking in iOS 4.1 to be limiting in any way whatsoever.

If you are an iPhone user, I want to know how the iPhone's multi-tasking limits you in any way.

You must be joking. Apple is the only company out there that has the balls to innovate and give us new things. Can you remember the world of smart phones before the iPhone?

Apple will not only keep up, but keep setting the standard by which every phone manufacturer lives by.

Name me ONE handset that is above the iPhone 4 at the moment? Regarding build quality, screen, and just the handset overall. None.

Next year the big leap will be in the software. and HTC, Samsung, and Google will all just give you copies of what Apple did. Just like they are doing now.

Have you seen the new Flagship Gingerbread Samsung phone? They even put the "slits" at the bottom to look like the iPhone 4.

Not really. You are putting 1280x760 in a 4.3 or 4.5" screen.

The iPhone 4 has a 3.5 inch screen at 960x640 at 326 dpi. All that in a screen that is an inch smaller. The Retina Display will remain unmatched for a long time.

Other manufacturers will try to match it, but I doubt that anyone will surpass the Retina Display in 2011.

You could make an argument about the 1.2ghz processor.

The iPhone 4 has a 1ghz processor. Let's say the iPhone 4 is underclocked to 800mhz. The iPhone 4 matches 1ghz phones as far as speed. With a software update you can run the iPhone 4 at 1ghz.

The speed, real speed when you are working in the phone, has to do with software as well as hardware.

People live in spec sheets. Just because a phone will come out in 3 or 4 months with higher "specs" on paper doesn't mean that it will perform better than the iPhone 4.

Have you ever dealt with a Galaxy S? I picked one up and tried to check out Facebook. It was laggy as all hell. 1ghz processor meant nothing. It took forever to show me the screens and get back to the desktop.

A guy here at work just bought an HTC Desire. Same thing. He was showing it to me. Went to unlock it. The unlock animation is very stuttery and looks like crap.

and they had the stupid animated water background that looks cheap and serves no purpose. What are you going to do? sit there all day tapping your water background?

Please.

and whenever you think the iPhone can't do something, there's an APP for that.

23. thetexan macrumors 6502a

My thoughts:

-People can argue about this until they are blue in the face but I doubt anybody is really going to change anybody's mind.

-Both iOS and Android are great mobile operating systems. There are obvious differences between the two however both are great and the consumer base believes so as well as both are selling lots of devices.

-Like food, colors, choice of beer, or the blond vs redhead debate it's just an opinion as to which one you like and nothing more.

24. Kariya, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010

Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

Another day, another Nexus. Who cares really? those who will buy it will buy it and those who won't...wont.

Personally i think HTC hardware design > Sammie design (far too much plastic). The Nexus S just looks like a Palm Pre without the slider.

25. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Lol. You say that right now. Then when Apple adds widgets (and they will), you will say "Oh, I love widgets!" iOS 4 doesn't have them. Just accept that iOS is inferior in that category and move on.

vlingo is great. Only you need a compatible bluetooth device and have to buy the app. Not quite as good as voice control on Froyo, but I'll call it even.

I'm running a live background right now. Snowflakes. Your question is a little silly. "What are you going to do with customizable wallpaper"? Answer: Make my phone look cooler. Lolumad?

Lol...sure. Just like how they got "multi-tasking" later and theirs works better than everyone else's, right?

That's funny. With Android, its easy. Type in a wifi name then click one button. Done. Takes about 10 seconds.

About as successful as it is now...except that other phones let you do it via cell phone network instead of having to be on wifi.... so maybe it was actually better before Apple started doing it.

I don't have an iphone, and there are plenty of complaints in this forum (and others) about Apple's half-assed implementation of multi-tasking. Even WebOS does a better job at multi-tasking than iOS. How embarrassing.

Mmm, maybe back in 2008. Times have changed, friend.

How about five? Droid X, Droid Incredible, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung Epic, HTC MyTouch HD. Hmm, so the iPhone 4's build quality is so great that Apple had to give out free bumpers to mitigate the effects of their design flaw?

No one has posted flagship phone photos yet, the image you saw on the flyer was of a different device. I'm not sure what the look of the phone has to do with anything. Just about all of them are touchscreens with 1, 3, or 4 buttons on them nowadays. Only Samsung was smart enough to put gorilla glass on their handsets, though.

Oops, someone is bad at math! 1280x760 on a 4.3" screen gives you 345 dpi. 1280x760 on a 4.5" screen gives you 330 dpi. Looks like the iPhone 4's last advantage is about to disappear! :eek:

Then I suggest you pay more attention in your math class so that you avoid making incorrect statements like that.

I don't have to. The iPhone 4 runs a variant of Samsung's Hummingbird processor... only Samsung's version has a more powerful graphics package. Unlike Motorola and Samsung, Apple doesn't make microchips. They have to make do with what is available on the market.

Also, the software update to run the iphone 4 at a higher clock speed will NEVER COME. You must be crazy if you think Uncle Steve would ever allow you to do that. However, there are plenty of homemade overclocking kernels for Android if you have root.

Unfortunately for this theory, Android phones have eclipsed both the hardware and the software of the iPhone.

Yes. I own a Samsung Vibrant. If it was laggy then I would have replaced it already since I am not under contract. Its not, which is why I still have it.

The Desire is using an old graphics chipset (Adreno 200) on the which cannot handle HTC's Sense UI. Notice that I didn't list it above when you asked about good Android phones.
    Hey, how is iOS 4 working out on the 3GS? Smooth with no problems, right? :D

Yep, if I want to. Or, I can play with the sailboat animation that moves the boats around as you tilt the phone. Just another capability that you can't find on iOS. Don't feature-hate... congratulate!

No, there's a fart app for that. The Android market has more useful apps (and more free ones) than the App Store does at this point. Why do you think that Apple is trying to make the approval process easier now? iOS's best apps require jailbreak, and you know it!