nicest looking Mac ever?

ump3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2003
What does everyone think has been the nicest looking Mac design over the years?

I think the Quicksilver G4's (Pre Mirrored Drive Door version) are up there definetly. I think the G5's look a little like electric heaters.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
I have the silver quicksilver powermac g4 but the ones just ahead of mine like you said are def the nicest. Im a fan of the ibooks also, I love how the apple logo glows on the laptops.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
My favorite is the MDD PowerMacs. I hated them at first, but they grew on me a lot.

Other non-Mac designs which I was very fond of were the 3g iPod (though i also disliked it at first) and the Airport Extreme.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
it's a tie between the cube and the quicksilver. but that's comparing apples to... uh... well... kinda like braeburn to honeycrisp. Both are good, just one's a lot bigger and juicier than the other.

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
First place has to go to the Cube. 2nd place goes to iMac G4. 3rd place goes to iMac G5. IMO Also, I think the G4 era so far brought out the best designs from Ives and co IMO.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Oh man! It would be easier to say what isn't.

I still gawk at our Ruby iMac in awe.

The new iMacs look sensational

The previous iMacs were stunning

My Powerbook Ti still gets oohs and aahs from people.

I liked the clamshell iBooks but also the all white ones.

The cube looked hot.

The Mac mini's look great.

And even the Classic Mac looked stunning (and still does)

Don't make me choose! :D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I would have to say the minimalist design of the Mac mini as being the most beautiful, simplistic, and pure design from Apple. My next favourite would be the original quicksilvers without the vent holes or the MDDs.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Definitly the 20th Anniversary Macintosh for me...

After that i'll go with the Powerbook 12inch.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
seriously? I thought it too be the ugliest computer from Apple. Big and in your face.

carlos700

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
I liked the Power Mac G4 "Mirror Driver Doors" for the best Power Mac design.

I think the Power Mac G3 All-In-One "Molar Mac" was pretty ugly.

I also love the design of my new iBook G4.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
The Quicksilver would probably get my vote as well: it's a beautiful machine.

I also really like the lucite displays. They're design classics and still very eyecatching to those who aren't familiar with Macs.

I must confess to having a soft spot for the TiBook as well, despite never having owned one.

I spent a few hours today setting up a Mac mini for my neighbour, and the form factor is absolutely stunning. The photographs on apple.com really don't do it justice.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
hands down, imac G3. for its time, it was probably the most innovative in design.

photoman

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2005
I would have to say it's a toss up between the first Ti Books and the iMac G4. They are both beautiful machines.

Uglyiest... anything from the beige era ... 7500 anyone?

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
The Mac mini! And don't anyone dare say otherwise!

(yeah, maybe it's just because I ordered one...)

I also have a thing for the TiBooks. I still think it looks better than the AluBooks.

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
and the winner is...

the Mac TV. no... heh.. i really am having a hard time with this. The iMac DV was amazing. on an open desk it STOLE the entire room. the g4 iMac was even more eye-catching, and very personal. it almost felt like a person. I think the absolute winner would have to be the g4 iBook. It is simply stunning to everyone who walks past you. just today at school I had mine on a table in the lounge and everyone who walks past the flock of laptop users gawks at my iBook. Maybe its the glowing apple, or the white plastic, but everyone loves it, myself included.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
I'm partial to the B&W G3 up to the Quicksilver. I think that was the best-looking string of Power Macs made. It seems like once they put out the MDD's with the big obnoxious metal doors, Apple went metal crazy. I also have always been a fan of the white iBook, and I think the iBook G4 is the finally perfected iBook form because of the better flush-fitting ports and the slot-loading drive. For iPods, definitely the 3G, because I don't like the click wheel. Hey look! I have just described my collection in my sig! Imagine that. :p

Daniel

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Raven VII said:
The Mac mini! And don't anyone dare say otherwise!

(yeah, maybe it's just because I ordered one...)

I also have a thing for the TiBooks. I still think it looks better than the AluBooks.
TiBooks are ugly. The AluBooks have a much more uniform color scheme.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
For me, there is absolutely no comparison....The iMac G5 is by far the best looking computer I have ever seen!!