NiN's Trent Reznor Speaks Out on Apple's App Store Rejection Policies

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 4, 2009.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's seemingly arbitrary rules for rejecting App Store applications is once again in the news. This time rock band Nine Inch Nails' founder Trent Reznor has taken issue with Apple's rejection policies.

Nine Inch Nails (NiN) released their own iPhone application in mid April. The app allows fans a way to access NiN news, updates, music, and more. Over the weekend, Reznor reported that a routine version update had been rejected due to "objectionable content" in the form of the album "The Downward Spiral". Reznor speaks out [explicit language] about the issue and apparent hypocrisy of the policy:
    Reznor later posts [explicit language] that he's a fan of Apple's products and specifically the iPhone, but that he wants to draw attention to the "ludicrous approval process". He also states that "if Apple doesn't get it together", they will make the app available to the Jailbreak community.

Article Link: NiN's Trent Reznor Speaks Out on Apple's App Store Rejection Policies

2. Jimbo Slice macrumors member

Excellent Points, I like how he gives props to Apple after despite his mini-rant lol!

3. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

Yeah Trent! But...wait...why did you see men having sex in safari on your iphone?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I don't see the problem, if I had kids I wouldn't want them downloading apps with bad language in them. I can block explicit songs.

5. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

Trent is absolutely right: there's much more "objectionable content" available all over the internet and Apple's own iTunes store. Really, do they think that hearing the word f**k or s**t in a song would be the first and last time a child would ever hear those words?

C'mon Apple, you're smarter than this.

6. fratboy macrumors regular

good im glad.. apple seriously is messed up with this app approval process .. i think it awesome that if apple doesnt let them they are going to the jailbreak community.. maybe this will show apple.. i love jailbreaking and if apple keeps this crap up about approval process we might start seeing alot of good apps that apple wont allow in cydia.. i mean there are already a ton of good apps and tweaks in cydia but maybe even more now.

7. Data macrumors 6502

Have to agree with trent, this is getting ridiculous .

8. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

But as a parent, if you don't want your kids listening to explicit material, it's up to you as a parent to make sure they don't have access to it. Why hurt the rest of the adult population simply because a child COULD use it. Believe me, if they didn't hear it in the NIN app, they'll hear it in movies, tv shows, video games ect.

Censoring a band's already-created material just because kids have access to it is like taking all the swearing out of a Die Hard movie! Oh wait, they already did that, and guess what? IT SUCKED!

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

If they are anal now, imagine if or when they go with Verizon. Go Trent, beat them down!

10. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

Fixing the App approval process should job #1 for Apple right now.

1) Establish clear rules, put them in writting and follow them.

2) Don't leave developers hanging in limbo for months without an explanation -- talk to them and accept apps in a timely manner.

3) Err on the side of letting stuff in. Yes, there are no win situations like the "baby shaker" app., but for the most part far too much stuff is being rejected for dubious reasons.

4) If an "explicit" label will make them feel better, fine, add it, but stopping an app. for a dirty word is absurd

11. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking parental controls in OS 3.0 are going to address this issue and allow blocking of explicit apps like with music/videos. That will mean a process for tagging apps with explicit content will need to be in place too. Probably means an iTunes update and some store tweaks, plus updates to the AppStore app. I think Apple knows this is an issue, but just doesn't have all the pieces in place yet to address it.

12. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

Trent has been a ***** for about a decade. Any time he opens his mouth (including lyrics) it sounds like the ranting of a high school kid. He needs to get on some happy pills.

I agree that it would be nice if there were some looser restrictions on the content approval. I can handle dirty words. This tantrum of his doesn't seem to help his cause, though. Trey Parker didn't whine about it like a child.

13. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

The thing about this is, love him or hate him (or be indifferent) all the 'community' needs is SOMEONE to rally around. His points are valid and seem genuine - what I mean is, he doesn't seem like a guy that's out to get Apple and is jealous of their success (like say another company might be). I think that this kind of legitimate, level-headed, and fair criticism is what needs to be voiced the most... especially coming from what appears to be an apple fan boy.

14. eastcoastsurfer macrumors 6502a

Maybe as a parent you should do some parenting. Why would you allow your kids who are too young to hear curse words download any and all apps from the app store? Do you give them free reign on the internet too?

No amount of software can block everything. It will always remain the parents job to filter what they think their children should and should not be exposed to.

15. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

Pretty funny watching all the fans over on the NiN forums sway their opinion of Apple products based on whatever stance Reznor's latest post takes on the matter. :rolleyes:

16. Xavier macrumors 68030

That seems a little out of had on Apples part.

17. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

18. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Trey Parker isn't really all about social media, constant 'connectedness' and integrating (or at least doesn't appear to be). Reznor has (from what I remember) always been (at least recently) a strong proponent of being connected with the fans and giving them all kinds of access to their content. Not that Trey Parker isn't, but I think Reznor REALLY is into this kind of stuff and is upset by it... he's also not a big fan of restrictions (see the NIN/JA rules about cameras and recording equipment) and would rather see more people have access to more material than restricting it which probably also ties into his reasonf or being upset... I do agree that if taken the wrong way it sounds like a whiney celeb but I don't think that the intention.

19. Bokito macrumors regular

That MacRumors sensors this message shows how pathetic the USA is and not just Apple.

20. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Great, another slow week.

The guy does have a point though, even if he comes off as a whiney teenager.

21. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

And thats the problem..I hope people can look past their dislike of the the guy AND the way his message comes across and instead focus on the fact that his point is very valid.

22. Arkanok macrumors 6502a

Arkanok

I haven't bothered going to the NiN forums but I wouldn't doubt that you're right. I'll never change my opinion on Apple products based on someone famous, I f**ckin love Apple products and I'll never buy another PC again, it's just all this censoring that blows.

23. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I think this has less to do with censorship and more to do with potential loss of revenue from iTunes.

24. t0x macrumors newbie

Don't you know that there are some people who apparently haven't been exposed to such filthy, ungodly words as **** and ****? MacRumors is only trying to protect these people's fragile sensibilities.

On a more realistic note, the comparison Reznor makes between the App Store and Wal-Mart is entirely accurate. I can buy a death metal albums with lyrical content about butchering babies and eating their brains off iTunes, but Apple's afraid of me being exposed to a few instances of **** in NiN's app?

Thanks goodness Apple's ensuring that we'll never be exposed to such filth.

EDIT: Seems MacRumors automatically censors certain uncouth language. Thank you for saving me from myself!