Nintendo's New Console - Wii U

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Apr 25, 2011.

1. gkarris, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

EDIT: Announced as Wii U:

http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/introduction

OLD MESSAGE:

Here it is - they are going to demo one at E3:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/25/technology/nintendo_wii/index.htm

The 3DS is cool - can't wait for the new console... ;)

UPDATE: More news surfaces:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20057200-52.html?tag=topTechContentWrap;editorPicks

$400? No way - not from Nintendo...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20056380-17.html?tag=mncol;txt

2. Mac-Rumours macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I only just got the Wii. :( Should I have listened to IGN when they kept claiming the Wii is dead?

3. MRU Suspended

MRU

Don't wory just wait till 2017 to get the Wii HD and you can gripe about how your too late to the party again ;) :) j/k

I posted this over on eurogamer earlier...

4. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Regardless of new systems coming out (or what stupid IGN says), the Wii is still a very fun system. I mean, hell, I still play games on my N64 and Dreamcast quite often, and even my SNES as well. Just because a system isn't "New" anymore doesn't mean it is all of a sudden broken and worthless. There are a lot of fun games on the Wii. Enjoy them.

5. gkarris, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011

gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

The price just dropped to $170 - should be the sign...

EDIT: Actually the price is supposed to go down to $150 on May 15:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/12/nintendo-cutting-wii-price-to-150-on-may-15th/

It's a fun system - and I managed to get some GameCube Wavebird Controllers and it makes a great Wireless Nintendo System!

The thing is that I tried someone's 3DS with that AR game - BOY WAS THAT A BLAST! (Who needs the launch games?)

It was fun watching things appear on your table and your environment doing weird things - all in 3D.

Actually, turning off the 3D the graphics are still pretty good.

Hopefully going to get some Black Friday deals on a 3DS - will be the hottest thing this 2011 Holiday Season... ;)

6. Mac-Rumours macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I got it from the UK in December when the
    price kept jumping between £140-£160 (I've just saw it advertised for £99).

I should've put a ;) at the end of my post.

I guessed it'd be replaced by the end of next year but didn't think Nintendo would release details so soon (and hoped there'd be a few more good games).

Also annoying that every day IGN announced it's death for the last few months!

Hopefully this new console will be able to compete not only with the current PlayStation and Xbox, but also what ever they bring out next.

7. Mac-Rumours macrumors regular

Good point.

I still haven't finished Ocarina of Time (GC version played on the Wii) and then I've got Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword.

Only concern is how long Wii online will stay online.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well word is it's more powerful than a PS3 and Xbox. Which isn't too hard to imagine considering Nintendo held back from HD originally because of low market penetration and the current gen consoles are like 5-6 years old now!

Quite excited to see what they pull out of the bag.

9. MRU Suspended

MRU

Normally I would be... but now not so much.

If the rumors of controller / touchscreen are true then that inevitably must be a pretty expensive controller.

Also 1080p on my TV, with a controller in my hand for touchy screen goodness - Apple ipad and other tablets are all going to be offering this before Nintendo get there. Yes Project Cafe may offer much better graphics than this generation of ipad and tablets, but it will be launching with iPad 3 and Tegra 3+ tablets.

Im interested in what's going to happen, but not overly excited simply because the Wii was my biggest disappointment console wise of this generation.

10. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

It will eventually turn into another name maybe, but the new system is supposed to play all Wii and GC games (rumors) and of course older virtual consoles...

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Not only are they expensive, but people have only just upgraded to a 'normal' HDTV and won't be looking to replace that any time soon. 3D isn't going to be a big thing for Nintendo until they bundle the console and display together (like the 3DS), but that's impractical for a console.

12. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

There were a ton of Nintendo Revolution rumors about touch-screens and we know how that paned out.

Nintendo was the only console maker this generation. The others were closer to generic PCs with the software to match. My only disappointment was the overall stupidity of 3rd party developers that made narrow minded assumptions about the Wii early on and did as little as possible to support it.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ But it's not too hard to do now. The iPad and iPhone have been out for years, and the DS even longer. I imagine they could do it.
    I hope they don't, or rather I hope they don't ditch physical controls. I'd hate the next gen consoles to have an iOS-style controller setup, eep! That'd push me straight to PC-only gaming.

It's not so bad now. For what I paid for a TV 2 years ago I can now buy the same brand, same size but in 3D (with other additional 2D features).

Personally I'm waiting for a more convenient display method like the 3DS.

14. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Anyone been to the store lately?

Wii Resort Bundle is on sale at Target for $149 (with Wii Sports, Wii Resort, and the Motion Plus Controller). Other places have the bundle for $169.

I hear that the actual $149 Wii (starting May 15) will have only the standard controller (not the one with the built-in motion plus) and Mario Kart as the pack in.

Maybe get the Wii resort bundle while supplies last?

Anyone hear anything else? Will Nintendo still have it in black? Any other colors maybe?

15. Darth Squirrel macrumors newbie

Darth Squirrel

Yeah, Nintendo dropped prices because the have to empty their cramped storages ;)

80$ for one of the new controllers...sure. So, if you want to start gaming with three of your friends you are most likely to pay:
    -400$ console with 2 controllers and a crappy game
    - 2 more controllers: 160$
    - 1 or 2 good multiplayer game(s): 40-80$

600$+ for a starter package. I doubt the will reach everybody with this price policy (if it turns out to be true).

16. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ talking about the new system?

Yes, I've seen pics of that "touchscreen controller" and it's rumored to be between $80-$120 each... :eek:

It would be a *BIG MISTAKE* if Nintendo is going to try to go after the PS3 crowd (and Sony's pricing)...

The other rumor is that it would be compatible with the older Wii controllers for the budget minded (but control for the newer games would be lacking).

17. Jason Beck, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Crysis 2 on pc looks amazing, and looks almost as good on 360.. but there is a very good noticable difference. Im hoping the new Nintendo system can really bridge the gap again with PC. The games on PC that I am playing (even on my sig rig) is blowing me away.

I think they ought to call it Nintendo Entertainment System2. Squared or something. NES2 : ) Go back to the name!

*edit I also have a 360/hdtv

18. MRU Suspended

MRU

Not going to happen.

Most games will be 360 / PS3 / Cafe multi-platform titles with Cafe possibly having better graphics. But remember even if Cafe has better GPU than in the 360/PS3 - they have 6 years head start on the Cafe.

The PC is still way beyond any of them and of course a cutting edge GPU (and preferably in SLI mode) for the 'ultimate' experience is probably going to cost you the same as a 360 /PS3 and a cafe ;)

So even if the graphics on the Cafe are better than the other two home consoles, in 6 - 12 months time the newest baddest GPU's on the planet will be strutting their stuff.

19. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yeah Moore's law. :D Good point, I was dreaming. ahha

20. MRU Suspended

MRU

Lol.as long as the software on the Cafe doesn't turn into a nightmare (like the Wii) then there's no harm in dreaming :D:p

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No kidding. 1st party titles like Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. showed us that games on the Wii could be innovate and a heck of a lot of fun. Instead, 3rd party devs royally dropped the ball.

3D TV's won't catch on until they are glasses free and the tech improves. Right now it's okay with glasses (but headache inducing) or really bad without (lenticular like the 3DS). There's really nothing that blows me away.

22. MRU, May 17, 2011
    Last edited: May 17, 2011

MRU Suspended

MRU

Yes and no.... Developers have had a lot of trouble realising games on the wii because of a number of factors - mostly with the wii remote control scheme.

The Wii Remote ultimate strengths and inherent weakness were demonstrated on it's first free launch title 'Wii Sports'.

Personally for me playing any games that require more intricacy such as Mario Galaxy have always felt not up to scratch because of the limitations of the control system and even though I've been gaming for 30 years - the placement on the nunchuck and wii remote together just does not feel as comfortable or suited to as many games as a traditional controller layout is.

There is a reason why the 'traditional controller' is a traditional. Because fundamentally it's the best apparatus for controlling games as they are currently produced.

Having a hefty pointing device disembodied on one hand with a rather peculiar analogue testicle sack in the other - adjoined by an unholy umbilical cord - just does not feel natural in any shape or form to me.

Somthing that nintendo tried to sell the system on - it's natural feeling control scheme.

Games like Zelda : Twilight Princess were clumsy for me in comparison the GameCube edition which was far more precise with it's control mechanic thanks to it's traditional controller. Some will of course say 'well i played twilight princess and didn't find any issues with the wii remote', to that I have a simple question 'but did you ever play it with the gamecube controller for comparison?' and of course most would have not.

Again Super Mario 64 & Super Mario Sunshine for me control infinitely better than Super Mario Galaxy, and whenever I play galaxy I just scream for proper controller support.

Sadly the fact that Nintendo has had to add motion plus and pretty much failed to improve accuracy and make the wii-remote more articulate - proves it was flawed.

Given Sony & Microsoft have now both proven you can have wiggle and spasmodic body control - as an extra - but not sacrificing most games normal preference for proper controller again highlights for me the fact the Wii should have shipped with a 'standard' controller alongside the Wii Remote.

--

My point then is that with a proper controller - the Wii would have been less subject to the tyranny of god damn awful casual games that developers pushed out because they didn't feel they could deliver a proper game experience with the wii remote due to it's inherent flaws.

Causal games are all fine and dandy in the world of iPad / iPhone / Android devices where they cost nothing or at most a few $ bucks. But in a world of $50-60 dollar titles they are an abortion of publisher greed - aided by a jaded development community unable to justify developing proper titles on the wii.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If they don't push the graphical envelope, I hope they improve on some of the downsides of current consoles.

Just an example:
    Imagine, if you will, if the XBox 360 had 2 GB of RAM instead of 512 MB. It could start loading the next area in to RAM while you're playing because of all the spare space. Heck, if there's three doors, it can preload all three while you're fighting enemies. Bam, load times are drastically reduced.

Metroid Prime had a system like this; the game would load the room you're in and all adjacent rooms. But if you very quickly rushed two rooms over, you'd have to sit and wait for the second door to open because the game hadn't finished preloading it. More RAM might've allowed it to do so.

I just hope it allows for traditional control schemes still. I wouldn't still be playing Super Smash Bros Brawl on an international competitive scene if they'd forced the game to adhere to a Wiimote set up, which would have ruined the game. The GameCube controller is still the best way to play the game.

24. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Yah you can see that in Oblivion pretty plainly. If there was more room for textures then the loading times would have been cut down a bit. Draw distance increased too probably. I did not know my 360 only had half a gig of memory. Wow.