Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The Loop reports that "very reliable sources" are claiming that there will be no update to the Apple TV at next Wednesday's media event in San Francisco.
The Loop has learned through very reliable sources that an updated Apple TV will definitely not be introduced at next week's event in San Francisco. Apple's invitation states, "It's only rock and roll, but we like it," solidifying the theme for the event will be music.
Research analyst Gene Munster noted yesterday that the shipping date for Apple's 40 GB Apple TV had slipped to 1-2 weeks, leading Munster to speculate that Apple could be introducing a revamped lineup for the device next week.

Article Link: No Apple TV Refresh at Next Week's Media Event?

natasha69

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
Remember when AAPL released the Nano. It was all music and there was mass speculation about the iPod Video. Then two days after the big event for the Nano, another event was quickly scheduled and invitations went out. AAPL likes to mix it up. I'm betting this event is all music...

Then another set of invites get sent out...

Comment

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
I think there has to be a refresh coming because there is plenty of the AppleTV in apple stores and more so, its always been available. Not like there has been a surge in buying those guy sin the last week or so

Comment

VaatiKaiba

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I'm ready to get an :apple:tv, so I really hope it gets updated before Christmas. The hardware is ancient!

Comment

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Time to remove :apple:TV from craigslist!

LOL! You really shouldn't rely on rumors (or worse, analyst opinions) on decisions like that. ;)

ya bro. I have a 40GB :apple:TV. Why pay for the higher end model when I can stream everything from my computer. Just takes an N network.
Agree completely. I've never filled my 40GB AppleTV up... and if I did, it's hard-wired to the network and streaming works flawlessly from my iMac, MacBook, and Mini. I don't really understand people who care about the size of the drive in the existing AppleTV.

Comment

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
yeah, wouldn't want a new apple tv that could actually act as the media hub apple has always promoted . . .

physical drive to play dvd/blu ray
surf internet
play video games
while at the same time able to download video content and stream music and pictures from other computers.

now that is the perfect set up. maybe even open up an sdk like iphone/ipod touch for developers to create programs specifically for it.

and dare i wish for dvr?!

Comment

jmcguckin

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
Akron, OH
wow, yet again another case of a clueless analyst getting paid to speculate about something he has no more of a clue about than we do... please excuse the tone of this post, but I'm just tired of watching one analyst-based rumor after another go down as being unfounded, knowing full-well that the men and women who start them are actually getting paid to do it.

and I'm agreeing with natasha69, I would understand the AppleTV being refreshed in a separate event (possibly like the aluminum MacBook introduction in October of last year, just over a month after the iPod event), but Apple have made it pretty clear that this is to be a music-based event, and I don't see them introducing much more than a revised iPod lineup, iTunes 9, and possibly the Beatles discography on iTunes. on a related note, though, here's to hoping another event is scheduled for October, particularly since a couple products in Apple's lineup are long overdue for a spec bump/facelift (iMacs and AppleTV's).

Comment

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
I have a dream, all the movies all the time at an ok price, everywhere. Until then, torrents (or play monopoly). Sad but true.

Comment

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I really hope they update the Apple TV soon. Mine is driving me nuts - have to restart it most days, so damned unreliable.

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I use exactly 0MB of my ATV's Hard Drive.

ya bro. I have a 40GB :apple:TV. Why pay for the higher end model when I can stream everything from my computer. Just takes an N network.

Agree completely. I've never filled my 40GB AppleTV up... and if I did, it's hard-wired to the network and streaming works flawlessly from my iMac, MacBook, and Mini. I don't really understand people who care about the size of the drive in the existing AppleTV.

Exactly. When I first got my Apple TV and the 160 came out later I was bummed. But I stream everything anyways.

As far as next week goes, the event might be all Music, but that wouldn't stop Apple from dropping the 40, making the 160 the 40 price, and introducing a 320 or so for the 160 price, all quietly on the store with no more fanfare than one of of those corner tabs that says all new or updated or whatever on the main store page next to the icon. But I don't expect to see a major software or hardware revision on something that works as advertised. It doesn't particularly need a faster cpu or gpu and it already has N networking.

Comment

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
My only hope at this point would be another keynote in October like last year, only hopefully focused on media like the Apple TV and Blu-Ray versus notebooks.

Comment

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Munster is ...

Gene Munster seems to like to see his name in print ... he is historically wrong.

Comment

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Each passing day makes me happier I changed - 6 months ago - to the Mini Media Center. I sold my Apple TV and it wasn't that much more for a used Mini. A couple cables, a 1TB external HD I had sitting around, and BAM, instant, awesome, AppleTV that's always in sync and never needs resetting.

Bonus: I can watch any out of market MLB game live (good since my team is 400 miles away) through MLB.TV on my 32" LCD TV. I couldn't do that through ATV.

Comment

hiimamac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
Boston
I use exactly 0MB of my ATV's Hard Drive.

Like the iPhone, apple tv will never reach it's full potential ie, dvr. Tuner as this all eats into iTunes which if apple is nit careful, will crumble.
Think about it, using eye tv to record, you can stream inHD all seasons 1-4 and most of 5 of ABCs Lost or even without dvr, you can steam in HD O why would anyone pay $2.99 for one episode when then can watch it fre, legally and then rip it to the iPhone, iPod.

Makes no sense. Apple tv is a dinosaur and a small hobbiest sales item. Add dvr, hdmi ( even my computer monitor glossy 24" has HDMI), a tuner and it will sell, otherwise as the networks steam more and more ala FX, pple tv goes the way of the cube.

Comment

jersey10

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
LOL! You really shouldn't rely on rumors (or worse, analyst opinions) on decisions like that. ;)

A larger hard drive is helpful because many of us have recently experienced the persistent problem of iTunes dropping our AppleTVs, sometimes even mid-viewing, for no apparent reason, regardless of whether the streaming is occurring wirelessly or via Ethernet cable. No one has been able to find a reliable solution to this problem and Apple has been completely unhelpful. As this never occurs with material synced to the AppleTV's hard drive, a larger hard drive is beneficial.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.