No data cellular toggle in control center?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by digitalove, Oct 17, 2013.

1. digitalove macrumors regular

How is this possible?
    I bet so many users always turn this function on/off many times during the day, so it's need a fast access..

Do you think we can see this data cellular toggle in iOS 7.1 maybe?

Btw:
    I don't need bluetooth.
    AirDrop is also useless, you can share stuff via iMessage.

Why can't we personalize what we want in control center?

I really don't get this, Apple has the most brilliant ideas but I really don't get those restrictions. I hope they get out from this "close mind" condition.

2. applelover1016 macrumors regular

applelover1016

Just curious and correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't airplane mode do the same thing as turning off cellular data, maybe they didnt want to include to toggles that do nearly the same thing

3. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

It's basically the same, but you can't get phone calls or SMS with it on.

4. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

No, because with airplane mode I can't get calls/sms.

Data cellular on/off is needed (for me) to save battery but still able to get calls/sms

5. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It is something I miss , but I don't know about the average iPhone user, in apple's mind ....

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Not a single person I know toggles it on and off. Ancecdotal, I know, but I can't really see why you'd want to do that.

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I very much doubt many iPhone users turn this off daily. I don't know anyone who does, and I know a lot of people who use iPhones. Just because you switch it off, doesn't mean everyone else does.

8. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe not everyone but surely people that wants to save up battery use this :)

Personally I don't think nobody that uses bluetooth on a daily basis.

Apple should let users be able to decide what toggles.

Everyone has different needs. Just give the possibility to customize the control center and everyone is happy. Is that hard?

----------

As mentioned above, to save battery and still be able to get calls/sms (so no airplane mode)

9. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I have a pre-paid plan with not a whole lot of data so I turn it off and on maybe 3-4 times a day. Most of my phone use is on wifi.

Not a single person I know uses orientation lock so to me that's wasted space where a data button could be.

I've added requests for adding the data button and/or the customization of Control Center but I'm not really expecting anything will happen. Apple always knows best.

10. chabig macrumors 68040

I wouldn't think it saves the battery much. You should know when you're using cellular data. If you want to save battery, don't use data driven apps so much. As for background data, I don't think there is much of that going on, and I wouldn't want to give up push notifications.

11. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

Nice joke. It doesn't save much battery?

Just try it yourself.

Data cellular on = You almost lose 1% per minute

Data cellular off = Seems like Airplane Mode

12. chabig macrumors 68040

Do you realize what you're saying? You're saying the battery drains in just over 1 1/2 hours. If your phone does that, you've got big problems other than cellular data.

13. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I think this does being up a fairly interesting point. I think Apple should let the user choose which toggles are available in control center. Because I'll never use the "do not disturb" function, but I would like a music button in control center. So I guess it's the same concept.

Yes, I realize you can access the music app in control center when a song has been recently played, and just tap on the song name. Doesn't always come up for me though. I do sorta miss the "double click home button and swipe to the right" to access music

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

This x1000. I have said this from the first time it showed up in the IOS system.

I too wish we could customize control center at least a little. I never use orientation lock nor airplane mode. I would prefer to see VPN and a quick link to a settings menu, say accessibility.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Explain the battery part? I only ask because most of us leave Cellular data on all the time and get at least 10-12 hours/day of usage out of our phones.

16. chabig macrumors 68040

How would they do that? They'd have to make the UI more messy, like Android or Windows. When everything is customizable, usability suffers.

17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I don't see near that type of battery loss, and if you do then something is wrong with your device. At that rate, you would drain the battery in a little over 1.5 hours with data toggled on. If this is the case and you are using it this way, then no wonder you are having issues and hate ios7. I would get thee to an Apple store immediately. What is your signal strength like, as something more is there than meets the eye.

I never turn data off (have unlimited so no need to) and have had 3 hours 48 mins usage today and 12 hours 26 min standby time sine I took it off the charger this morning and I have 60% battery life remaining currently. Even with heavy data usage I can still get at least 4-5 hours of constant usage between charges.

----------

Not necessarily. They could offer all the top row of switches to be customizable (the whole thing doesn't need to be (or maybe offer two rows). You get to choose the switches in settings and a preset icon is placed into the switch area within the control center to represent your chosen switch selections.

18. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe 1% per minute is a bit too much but just a bit.

If you do an intense use like me it loses 1% in 2 minute let's say.

If you use high brightness, listen to Spotify in streaming and browse Safari, it's kinda fair to lose much battery.

Btw I don't care about how much battery I consume or not.

The topic is related to the cellular data toggle.

19. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

It could be very similar to how we re-arrange apps.

20. FFF84 macrumors newbie

everything is customizable - that will be nice and all the "technology nerds" going to be happy.
    just put the customization options under an "advance" tap in the setting and write "if you don't know what are you doing please stay out" and add a "restore defaults" button.
    is that hard?

21. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Hi, my name is madsci. You don't know me but I use bluetooth when I get in my car everyday to transmit music, podcasts, and phone calls to my car's speakers.

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

LMAO, BT is used by MANY
    ----------
    Contradict yourself much :rolleyes:

-----------

No matter, but you know that you can just go to settings and turn it off right? It' s not like you have to toggle cel data too many times after you already consumed more than your share of the data plan, unless you are talking about those "battery improvements" in your specific case that you yourself said now in your last post that you don't really care. :rolleyes:

23. Oui macrumors 6502

While I agree CC should be customizable. Turning off cellular data if your not actually using it saves negligible battery life.

24. Bruins Fan macrumors member

Bruins Fan

I turn off data when traveling international. I was recently in Canada and could text free (included), but data was pricey, so shut it off when not needed.

I also go to France often enough that I bought an Orange France Domino for wifi and run all my data through that, but can still get calls on my US phone number. I just shut off cellular data and avoid VZW int'l data charges everywhere in France. :)

I'm still on iOS 6. So, am I to understand it's not possible to shut off cellular data on iOS 7?!

25. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Who turns off and on cellular data multiple times a day? I leave it on. If you're traveling abroad, you just turn it off as a one time thing. If you're on a very limited data plan (minority of users), then I guess I kind of see your point. But most people are on 1GB or more data plans and turning it on and off doesn't really save you that much data...