Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsook724

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
CA
No FM in 4.0 apple? really? why not juist activate bluetooth chip to do FM, i mean why not? its cabpable of it...

who else thinks we should have FM?

DirtyDan

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
Nevada, Texas
Not needed... even if you really want your favorite FM station and not a better alternative like satellite radio or pandora radio, you can get any local station from any state on the I Heart Radio app.

Seriously, FM and CDs are a thing of the past.

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Wait until WWDC before you jump to conclusions. I'm not saying that (if there's going to be one) it will be on the next iPhone or that it was one of the other 93 tentpoles that Steve didn't talk about...just be patient.

I watched the keynote twice and I noticed that Steve chose his words very carefully. For instance: when Steve makes note of what models (iPhone 3GS and 3rd Gen iPod) will run OS 4.0, he says "they will run pretty much everything" while continuing to mention the limitations to older models...why not just everything instead of pretty much everything? I can only assume that there are things that won't run on the 3GS or 3rd gen Touch because of hardware issues or something else that also hints to a new device.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Wait til June. Not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone

Honestly that's how I feel. If the Nano got it last year, the iPhone will probably get it this year. Heck, the Bluetooth chip in there supports FM IIRC.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
personally, I've been asking for the FM for a loooong time now...

Yes, I STILL listen to FM Radio, because, you know, there are iPhone users OUTSIDE of the USA :eek: and Pandora only works in the US.

AND for the people inside the US, not everyone listens to Pandora, or they just don't have enough coverage, or idk, they have a show they like to follow every now and then on a local FM Station.

When I saw Apple introducing the FM Tuner (w/ Live Pause & Tagging) on the iPod nano last September I was so excited because I knew that they were gonna put it in the next iPhone! :D

and this goes for the OP, obviously I agree with you about having FM built-in. But, this was not the time to put it in, as it is a Hardware Upgrade, and yesterday was a Software-driven event...

So, don't lose hope, because we have :apple:WWDC! :p

CAN'T WAIT FOR iPhone HD!!

ZebraineZ

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
FM radio is big in that it covers everything everywhere, news and music and all that stuff, not to mention all the new songs that come out basically come out on the radio before anything else, I like listening to the newest songs instead of having to choose individually between other songs, Pandora and last.fm are good but still, they're not very updated with the newest songs.

I wouldn't mind them adding a FM api to apps so that pandora and stuff could use both internet and fm streaming, best of both worlds.

McBeats

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2007
erf
they should still just add FM feature on it, so I can say I have radio on it, use it once, then never use it again lol...

edit:
FM radio is big in that it covers everything everywhere, news and music and all that stuff, not to mention all the new songs that come out basically come out on the radio before anything else, I like listening to the newest songs instead of having to choose individually between other songs, Pandora and last.fm are good but still, they're not very updated with the newest songs.
this is a good point, pandora only has already released tracks. Radio has the promos :)

mattmarchant

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
I listen to a lot of Radio when Im travelling in the car or when Im at work.
But ive never really missed it on my iPhone, Ive got my music on there which is more than enough for me. I only really listen to it when im travelling on public transport, ie trains, which are hard enough to get phone signals on when I live (I travel through the sticks alot) so I could imagine listening to FM radio would be a nightmare with loss of signal all the time.

TBURYSR

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
im actually wanting the fm tuner myself. as a season ticket holder to the falcons id love to be able to stream the game while at the game.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
im actually wanting the fm tuner myself. as a season ticket holder to the falcons id love to be able to stream the game while at the game.

They don't have a website or an app that streams the radio station that their games are on? You should check....

I listen to Toronto Maple Leafs games through the Corus Radio App, which streams AM 640. I've been doing that for over a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.