No headphone jack = no iPhone 7 for me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tubeexperience, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Ghost31 macrumors 68030

Ghost31

Somewhere. In a land far far away. There was a VCR still being used to watch old tapes of back to the future. I will get that VCR because damn the industry trying to get me to switch to DVD's when its not convenient.

2. rawlus macrumors 6502

I sort of don't believe that users will let the presence or lack thereof of a will sway their decisions... of all the things to take a stand on.... it's hilarious.

I can understand people bitching and moaning, but in the end, the sum is greater than its parts and people in an Apple enthusiast forum are more likely to purchase the phone for many other reasons beyond it not having a headphone jack. I just don't believe the "enough is enough" arguments from the posters ...

If they got rid of the headphone jack, disabled gps, removed the cambers and eliminated wifi then I'd see the argument.

3. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

Thing is, DVDs are smaller and don't wear out the same way as tape does. It was progression.

Wired audio sounds better than Bluetooth audio, always has and always will. Of course a better wireless format could be invented in the future which beats Bluetooth....but what about the batteries? Charging a depleted phone is sufficiently annoying without having to charge earbuds too. So really, other than losing tangled wires there is no benefit to wireless earbuds and two lousy negatives.

For me, the removal of the aux jack will prevent me from listening to my active speakers in the kitchen unless I use the supplied dongle. Not a biggie, but it will also prevent me from using my girlfriend's active speakers unless I remember to carry my dongle around at all times. As I don't ever use earbuds I can absolutely see me forgetting to haul this stupid dongle around with me and it's the removal of a heavily used interface which annoys me. I can see why some people don't mind but those of us who use the aux jack find its removal a step backwards. Why is it up to Apple to decide that the jack is no longer needed?? Every other phone has it for goodness sake.

4. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

No, wired will not always sound better than wireless, at least coming out of a mobile device like an iPhone, which is what we're discussing. Likewise, batteries may cease to be an issue once contactless wireless charging becomes commonplace.

In the here and now, wireless is probably not for you. Though I would trade constant tangled cable management, plugging and unplugging headphones, an easy justification for charging my headphones once a day, not to mention, that I could carry the detachable cable which allows me to plug my headphones in and used them wired at any time. I that is something most people would appreciate too. And likewise, for most people, pairing issues aside, BT audio quality is more than sufficient as is -- and it seems like Apple has solved at least the most annoying pairing and connection issues. AAC encoding is likely going to make a BT stream indistinguishable from a lossless stream for all but the most discriminating.

As for your active speakers in the kitchen, clearly sound quality is not an issue anymore. So rather than seeing Apple taking a step backward, you should probably take a step forward and buy a pair of BT speakers. To the extent you don't want to do that, you'll of course have a dongle on the end of your headphones which you carry around with you, right? And maybe for $9 you leave one at your GF's place, or better yet, buy her a BT speaker system for her place for Christmas. Or, if you really just need those wires, buy her and yourself a Lightning dock, which allows you to easily dock your phone and charge while you listen, with a "AUX" jack built-in. That way, the adapter stays put on the end of your headphones.

5. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

That's all fair enough but it's a workaround to a problem Apple have thrust upon me. My active speakers sound far better than any others I've heard and cost me a pretty penny, in fact they sound so good that I bought some for my girlfriend. I'm not up for replacing them until they cease working. I'll just have to purchase a spare dongle for use at her house. No biggie, but it's an inconvenience.

As for wireless charging it's not good for battery longevity to be constantly topping them up so I'll steer clear of that technological 'advancement' for as long as possible too...
    Then there's health. All these microwaves and goodness knows what else cluttering the air can't be a good thing, not to mention all these batteries going into landfill. The less battery-powered devices the better so far as I'm concerned.

6. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

Came here to say this. You nailed it.

Everyone whined and screamed about the removal of optical drives, and my knee-jerk reaction was to be annoyed too. Then I realized I use a disc like twice a year and a $30 usb optical is an option. People just hate change and use whatever outlandish arguments they can dream up to keep it from happening.

As I look around at the laptops being offered today, the vast majority of them do not have opticals in favor of smaller laptops. In a couple years, all flagship phones will be without a 3.5mm jack I bet.

Don't like it? Don't buy it. I wouldn't.

7. coconutcrackers macrumors newbie

Don't worry. You can switch to Blackberry. It's basically their primary business model to keep outdated technology around for luddites.

8. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

You nailed it. I'm one of the bitchers and moaners. And I can't wait to go wireless starting tomorrow when I get my phone. Would I prefer a headphone jack? Sure. Will it prevent me from buying the 7? Hell no.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

I don't even understand how this is possible. Do you have some sort of super long extension cord or something? Or does your gym's machines have USB ports built in...?