no imac july 24th

Discussion in 'iMac' started by edry.hilario, Jul 15, 2012.

1. edry.hilario, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

WE ARE DOOMED!

no imacs or minis the 24th says 9to5mac. THIS IS SO EFFIN UPSETTING!!

"This year, Mountain Lion isn’t being launched alongside hardware (last year was new Minis and Airs launched with Lion) so there is less setup required and accordingly, we’re hearing that the overnights will be smaller. One employee tells us that it is basically just a few guys running around with the master image installing it on every Mac. Notably, some stores we’ve spoken to haven’t heard of any overnight…yet."

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple...c-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence)

2. jmhart macrumors regular

Wow yeah, if 9to5mac says so it must be true.

3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I bet we see a 2012 iMac by next week, probably the 25th. If we don't, I guess it'll give me some time to save up for more options or a more expensive model lol.

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I realize they don't know much better than us, but I do think that last minutes rumors seem to be .. "truer" than usual.

5. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Well this sort of sucks...I would love to reason why I think it's not true, but things like this seem to usually be spot on. I still don't need a new machine now, so I'll probably continue to wait. I can save a bit more money for more features like a large SSD. Bleh...

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I remember from last year that Brian Tong from CNet gave a hint that the new iMac would be released in April - May 2011. And that was proven to be accurate.

I understand how hurt it feels to wait. But Mac hardware rumors always leaked a few months prior to the release date. Don't know if Apple decide to keep their mouth shut tighter this year.

Nevertheless .. I never expect that 2011 iMac could have the longest life span between updates.

7. Sam Spade macrumors regular

I think if you look at the official quotes from the Apple representatives who have opined on an updated iMac, it is pretty clear that there will not be an updated iMac released in July. A July release date has just been wishful thinking on the part of forum members after the big WWDC let down.

If you couple the official Apple quotes with the lack of any leaks whatsoever, it seems to be quite a stretch to suggest a new iMac will be here in July.

8. themcfly macrumors regular

Waiting too for new iMacs.

I'm afraid to say if we don't get any rumors/part numbers this week we it's really hard we're gonna see some new machines with ML. 9to5 Mac has been very accurate regarding hardware launch, reporting new Airs and Minis with part numbers the week prior the launch of Lion, same thing this year with the notebook lineup at WWDC.

Let's just hope something surfaces this week.

9. edry.hilario thread starter macrumors 6502a

the imacs are way over due now thats why weve been speculating for a while now also while i agree with you theres just no other time that make sense than july with ml because last year we got minis and airs so maybe tim is really doubling down on secrecy idk its just doest make sense any other date..

10. deblewis macrumors member

I've been watching these forums and I see a lot of people in the same boat that I'm in.. I have been impressed with my phone, ipad and apple tv and want to get a new iMac.. my PC is aging so it would be a great time.. but I just can't put money on old hardware.. do they see the new customers just waiting to try their first Mac?

I would think they could at least be up front with their plans.. what's the big deal everyone in the computer world hypes their product before release.. yet not a word.. makes me wonder if an iMac is coming at all..

As badly as I want a new iMac.. I can't wait forever without even really knowing if something is coming..

throw us a bone already!

11. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

And that's really the issue. Macbook Pro users got theirs... their last three updates running have been so close to the 8.5 month mark you could practically set your watch to it. Mac Pro is an anomaly so it sucks that they aren't getting redesigned until next year but we knew not to expect anything in particular. Minis and Airs are sporadic so they get bumped when they get bumped and there's no predicting it. But until THIS REFRESH, iMacs were more like MBPs than the other lines. As of this refresh, assuming it ever happens, it's anything-goes Mac Pro style... and we do NOT like that.

12. RebornTheGame macrumors member

RebornTheGame

Like some of you, I am in the position of wanting the new iMac to be released, but not really needing it... at least not yet.

I ended up purchasing a MBP to get myself over to OSX, but that isn't a viable long term option and isn't arriving before the end of the month.

Could Digitimes be right? I guess even a broken watch is right twice per day.

Now I am going to try to practice Zen like calm and accept the iMac will arrive when it arrives. Yeah right, I hate waiting.

I guess misery loves company and I am in good company here.

13. tungstentim macrumors regular

tungstentim

I'm in a similar position. I'm running a 5.5yr old iMac. It's running lion and isn't upgradeable to the new os.

I need a new machine and a laptop isn't an option for me as I have children and need to easily be able to see what they're up to, i.e. no taking the computer to a bedroom as we can't monitor their use that way.

For the sort of consumer that I represent, I want to upgrade to a new imc (not last years model) but there isn't one for me to purchase as I'm not willing to pay 2012 prices for 2011 kit.

And then they same with the os, I'd like some of the new features but again can't upgrade as my iMac won't take it.

Thats two amounts of cash on the table that apple can't get until we see new iMacs.

Oh well, it's not even as if you can earn any real interest in the bank either.:confused:

14. Vandefilm macrumors regular

I am so glad I decided to buy the 2012 MBA. Playing the waiting game while this is my first ever mac (and apple-experience) wasn't a joyfull thing. And I realise now I can also use the portability, so I'm happy :cool:.

15. Lacos macrumors member

No iMac in July, at least one customer less for apple..
    When they release their ivy brigde update in the next weeks / months / years it will be already old..

It's a pity, but i will not wait forever..

16. AndyCarolan macrumors member

the type of refresh the iMac needs, I would not regard as a "product launch"... Merely a spec bump.

IF 9to5mac's rumours turn out to be correct and the overnight is the roll out of mountain lion, this could easily take the form of current model display macs (air/mbpro) each receiving the new OS as suggested in the article. The iMacs with the spec bump and ML pre-installed, if released next week would be delivered to the stores ready for the 25th, unboxed and placed on display. Nobody really knows for sure

17. leerichards1 macrumors regular

Same position here. I'm not sure why Apple cannot make some sort of announcement regarding the refresh...

1> Joe Public doesn't read the tech press/blogs so I'm not sure how much of a dent an announcement would put into existing sales. It's not like the news would be reported across all media in the same way as a new iPhone.

2> Those of us that do read tech press/blogs would be happy with the info and be much less inclined to spend our money on rival machines.

Lee

18. iMcLovin, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012

iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Probably 9to5 are correct with their assumptions...sadly!
    9to5 has been ver good at guessing lately and they seem to have some very good sources.

Too be honest though - nothing really surprises me with apple anymore. Now I will be more surprised if a new iMac comes out than the
    opposite. I wouldn't even be shocked if we are talking about October or 2013.
    It saddens my heart. I consider myself a VERY good apple customer. And personally, my favorite product is the iMac. In fact, all the other products for me is bought much because I own an imac in the first place. Now it's obviously an abandoned child for apple... Along with the Mac pro. It breaks my apple investing momentum.

19. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

• Leaked Geekbench results in May points to updated iMacs being tested.
    • Apple PR clarifying that only the Mac Pro will be updated next year not the iMac. They went out of their way to correct this.
    • 400+ days since refresh.
    • Lion released with new hardware last year and Mountain Lion is out within the next few weeks.
    • GTX 680M finally available (likely to be graphics card used).

The climate is ripe for a spec bump and there's no good reason I can think of for Apple to wait.

20. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

No other good reason than the numerous times before for the past 6 months were a release would have been good. I agree that the arguments for a urgent release around ML would be good - but I still have strong doubts anyway....very strong doubts! Based on gut feeling and multiple disappointments.

21. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

There was no reason for Apple to not use Intel Sandy Bridge E along with Radeon 7970 or GTX680 on their MacPro as well.

There was no reason either for Apple to not upgrade Mac Mini line since they're basically a headless 13" MBP. So why they were holding up while it uses the same hardware.

But you know the history. Lamest MacPro upgrade of all time at WWDC 2012? Just because all hardware available doesn't mean Apple going to use it right away, especially on desktop product, which Apple don't think much about.

You don't have to agree with me here, but Apple spec bumps hardly bound to hardware manufacturers. They'll release it when they release it.

22. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Well at least Tim did write back about the future of the Mac Pro not to long ago assuring us he had something special for it:/ I couldn't wait I'm building a PC right now.

23. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

Forget Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.

What is validating Apple's decision to allow the iMac to die a slow death is the success of the MacBook Air. Whether we like it or not, it has replaced the iMac the de facto consumer Mac. If there's no new iMac hardware on sale coincident with ML, I'm heading in that direction myself, and I've had an iMac of every generation to date.

It would be fascinating to know the ratio of MacBook Air to iMac sales. I bet that will tell us everything about where Apple is focusing its efforts and why.

24. Reaktor5 macrumors 6502a

Reaktor5

[​IMG]
    Says it all right there. The desktop is slowly being phased out and Apple sees themselves as a mobile company.

25. AndyCarolan macrumors member

Whatever Apple's decision making process, I cant see how an Air's functionality can be compared with a iMac... But I guess like any company, they are going to go where the money is.